General - CONCACAF Nations League

Sébastien

So a 7+ goal win will put us in second (assuming Haiti wins by at least 2).  Things are looking pretty decent, I think Haiti will inevitably drop points in the next 3 matches.. actually Nicaragua may end up being in a good spot considering they could beat Haiti at home.   

3 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

Nicaragua doesn't play any games at home.  Their "home" games are played in Costa Rica due to the civil unrest in Nicaragua.

Good call, well they beat Haiti 3-0 last year in the Gold Cup playoff at home so either way they'll be a threat to them.

If the higher-ranked country wins for the rest of match day 2, there will be 12 countries with 6 points heading into match day 3. In the case of Guadeloupe/Aruba and Saint Lucia/Haiti, it wouldn't even have to be the higher-ranked team that won since they all have 3 points after match day 1. I'm including Martinique in that count since they play their 2nd match on Tuesday.

Edited by jtpc

2 hours ago, devioustrevor said:

Final Score:

Martinique 1 - 0 Puerto Rico

The Puerto Rican keeper was fantastic.  On another day, Martinique scores 4 or 5 goals.

1 hour ago, devioustrevor said:

Final Score:

Guyana 8 - 0 Turks and Caicos Islands

Mississauga native Emery Welshman had a hattrick.

The score lines are actually 0-1 and 0-8 respectively. Martinique and Guyana were the road teams.

It seems crazy to me that they are only doing playoffs for League A. They should crown League B and C champions as well. It would mean a few more competitive games for some teams and it would be fun to have a championship weekend where all 3 finals are played. Plus a League C championship would probably be the biggest/only prize the minnows could realistically achieve.

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

It seems crazy to me that they are only doing playoffs for League A. They should crown League B and C champions as well. It would mean a few more competitive games for some teams and it would be fun to have a championship weekend where all 3 finals are played. Plus a League C championship would probably be the biggest/only prize the minnows could realistically achieve.

To what end exactly? League A have nowhere to promote to, so a playoff is meaningful, but Leagues B and C already got their prize with promotion to the next division, so a playoff wouldn't really mean much.

Moreover, League B is already getting six guaranteed games instead of the the four guaranteed that League A teams get, and I doubt League C teams would want to play meaningless extra games in the first place.

5 hours ago, Zem said:

To what end exactly? League A have nowhere to promote to, so a playoff is meaningful, but Leagues B and C already got their prize with promotion to the next division, so a playoff wouldn't really mean much.

Moreover, League B is already getting six guaranteed games instead of the the four guaranteed that League A teams get, and I doubt League C teams would want to play meaningless extra games in the first place.

As an example. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFL_Championship#Results

2nd tier leagues determine champions. Promotion isn’t the only prize at stake. You think Aruba wouldn’t like to brag to Bermuda about beating them in the League C final? These are teams that will never win the Gold Cup, and will never make it to the World Cup (until it expands to 150 teams or so). I think it would be a point of pride. Even for a country like Canada which will no doubt be in League B at some point, winning the League B championship would be a consolation prize to help get over the fact we had been relegated down to that level in the first place.

We are calling them “leagues”. How do you have a league that doesn’t determine a champion?

39 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

Wow.  Apparently Bayern Leverkusen winger Leon Bailey decided not to play for Jamaica this weekend because the JFF didn't also call up his younger brother Kyle who plays in the Austrian Second Division.

Just did some research on the brother, Kyle Butler.  Seems they both have their father as agent and he’s a controversial figure.  Just last year Fortuna Düsseldorf had to deny a rumour he had signed with them when he posted a picture on social media signing a “contract” and announced he had signed the club called him out on twitter!  Kyle also complained in the media that he deserved a Jamaican call .. even though he was playing in Malta at the time.

What a shame that a top talent for Jamaica is coming with baggage like this... people are insane, especially these agent fathers.

Edited by Keegan

To be fair Bailey has been unfairly treated by the JFF since he was a teenager, they were blocking his ITC so he couldn't sign in Austria (his adoptive father Craig Butler got a job as a coach and moved the family to get around FIFA rules). He's on record saying he wants the JFF to improve conditions in the NT before Leon plays for them.