Metro Vancouver CPL Club

21 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Queen's Park Stadium is 10 mins walk away from me. They were close to moving Whitecaps 2 there at one point. QP residents association were for it. Devon (B&W Army) told me the Northeast stand is the oldest in Canada. You'd need some renos similar to Portland to make it work. I bet $5-10m would get you there. Parking and transit a non-issue for the most part.

Would be an amazing little atmosphere. It will never happen 

Maybe a BC1 situation but the nimby mindset in New West is strong. But I do agree that tge Queens Park neighborhood should be handled gently because it is a gem. Too rich for my blood but a gem

Here are my thoughts after considering this new World Cup legacy concept and the fact that the Pacific guys like to build out a full sporting facility as part of the business plan. I think the best location is subjective to the goals of the builders and from a fans perspective where you live and you're lifestyle. All 4 check various boxes

1) Bridgeview(Surrey)

2) Burnaby Lake

3) Cloverdale Fairgrounds (Surrey)

4) LEC (Langley)

39 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Here are my thoughts after considering this new World Cup legacy concept and the fact that the Pacific guys like to build out a full sporting facility as part of the business plan. I think the best location is subjective to the goals of the builders and from a fans perspective where you live and you're lifestyle. All 4 check various boxes

1) Bridgeview(Surrey)

2) Burnaby Lake

3) Cloverdale Fairgrounds (Surrey)

4) LEC (Langley)

I have a friend that works in the City of Burnaby and not happening to build a stadium near Burnaby Lake or in Burnaby general.  Regarding Surrey, As long as McCallum is mayor, he won’t support any new stadium, because the Municipality can make more money selling condos there.  I can tell you that for sure Cloverdal is being touted for more hospitals and commercial towers.  Fraser Health has come to an agreement with Surrey about using Cloverdale Fairgrounds as the next Surrey Megahospital area.  The only logical place is LEC as they have a stadium, ready to use.  I also wanna share this, but about 5-6 years ago, before McCallum there was a Request for Budget on a 10-12K stadium/outdoor track near Scott Road Station for $15-20M.  I’m sure the costs to buildinna stadium since then have gone up, maybe almost double, so hope the CPL expansion team has really, really deep pockets to build there own small stadium or else Langley and Abbotsford are probably there “best” options.

Edited by nolbertos

16 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I have a friend that works in the City of Burnaby and not happening to build a stadium near Burnaby Lake or in Burnaby general.  Regarding Surrey, As long as McCallum is mayor, he won’t support any new stadium, because the Municipality can make more money selling condos there.  I can tell you that for sure Cloverdal is being touted for more hospitals and commercial towers.  Fraser Health has come to an agreement with Surrey about using Cloverdale Fairgrounds as the next Surrey Megahospital area.  The only logical place is LEC as they have a stadium, ready to use.  I also wanna share this, but about 5-6 years ago, before McCallum there was a Request for Budget on a 10-12K stadium/outdoor track near Scott Road Station for $15-20M.  I’m sure the costs to buildinna stadium since then have gone up, maybe almost double, so hope the CPL expansion team has really, really deep pockets to build there own small stadium or else Langley and Abbotsford are probably there “best” options.

That's not true. The hospital is going behind Kwantlen off Hwy10 on the border of Langley 

32 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

That's not true. The hospital is going behind Kwantlen off Hwy10 on the border of Langley 

There’s a new hospital going to be built on Cloverdale next year in 2022. The RFP hasn’t come out.  I know because a friend of mine’s company is going to bid on it

Edit:  the big one is. Being built on 180th and 55th.  The smaller satellite one is going to be built on 176 55th area.  Also there’s an Icerink going to be built at 64th and 177th area of Cloverdale.  That construction won’t also start until nexr year.  That icerink will be massive like the two times the size of Roger’s Arena was the original plan with 2-3 rinks.

All that land used up is leaving not much room for a Soccer Stadium to be built

Edited by nolbertos

54 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I’m sure the costs to buildinna stadium since then have gone up, maybe almost double, so hope the CPL expansion team has really, really deep pockets to build there own small stadium or else Langley and Abbotsford are probably there “best” options.

In light of the economic times, I would be bet it is an existing facility that would need very minimal alteration"$" to get ready to play.  The Langley venue seems like the best  bet.

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Would be an amazing little atmosphere. It will never happen 

Maybe a BC1 situation but the nimby mindset in New West is strong. But I do agree that tge Queens Park neighborhood should be handled gently because it is a gem. Too rich for my blood but a gem

"NIMBY" took the hit on that failed stadium, but it's a false one. People in the QP area were in favour of it. The softball people weren't, and the Whitecaps showed up to the first presentation completely unprepared. Bobby basically had the attitude of "i just need to show up and shake a few hands", and the team wasn't able to answer basic questions about the plan. The NIMBY narrative got driven by some lazy reporters who were friends with Bobby and just seized on the easiest explanation- "it must be NIMBY because what else could it be?"

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

You can sell a lot more condos if people have something to do.

Maybe in small town Ontario or anywhere else in Canada but here there’s more demand than supply all over Vancouver for condos.  Young millenials prefer if a shopping center is nearby than a stadium.  I live in an area that the local mall is gonna get a huuuuge upgrade soon.  That being said the CPL team has better shot chasing the Lions fans than local GVA fans.  Most lions fans are in the Valley and they would probably support a “minor” league team than Greater Vancouverites.  The BC Lions are looking into moving into the Valley in the future, but then again, rhey don’t have money to build a new stadium, so they’re stuck at BC Place forever

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Ok bud, enjoy your new condo in Bridgeview. Super nice area for a young family. I'll head over the bridge and meet you at the Turf sometime. 

Not saying it can't improve an area, and I think Bridgeview would be a good location. I'm just saying condos would (and already do) sell there regardless. So if the SixFive wants to build a stadium there, they'll have to do it themselves because Surrey isn't going to build it for them.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ansem said:

Langley is getting BC League 1

So...the CPL Vancouver club won't be there I'd assume

The location for this team is not in the same location the CPL has looked at. And so far, Langley is the only city that's really stepped forward as a location. So, I don't know if the CPL ends up in Langley but I don't think this rules it out.

11 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Can we please get a League 1 BC club (or two) announced for the island?! I know we're an after thought, but come on

I just saw that Nanaimo has a new BCPSL team confirmed for 2022, at least for U13/U14, joining PFC-connected Vancouver Isle Wave as island representatives. I feel like there is a concerted effort to link these clubs up from U13 Intake all the way through to League 1 BC.

The only sensible place for a stadium is somewhere in Surrey, right in the heart of Metro Van.  Langley is just too far from the majority of the Metro Van population and Highway 1 is a nightmare to drive at the best of times. No-one will cross the river to drive to Langley, but the highway is good into Surrey, plus there is Skytrain. The Lions have their training centre near a Skytrain station in Surrey, so they could team up with SixFive and put a stadium there.