CPL TV Contract

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

You live in Vancouver? And not south of the Fraser? I highly doubt it

The point being Sportsnet may be looking at things and how they rate regionally rather than on a micro scale

These are the teams we are talking about right?

Vancouver Canadians

Year Total
Attendance
Average Ref
2000 109,576 2,884 [11]
2001 118,357 3,115 [12]
2002 127,099 3,345 [13]
2003 137,026 3,606 [14]
2004 140,037 3,685 [15]
2005 124,708 3,370 [16]
2006 123,878 3,260 [17]
2007 126,491 3,419 [18]
2008 129,073 3,585 [19]
2009 149,297 3,929 [20]
2010 154,592 4,068 [21]
2011 162,162 4,267 [22]
2012 164,461 4,445 [23]
2013 184,042 4,843 [24]
2014 180,187 4,870 [25]
2015 215,535 5,825 [26]
2016 222,363 6,177 [27]
2017 239,527 6,303 [28]
2018 239,086 6,292 [29]

BC Lions

image.png.de4a7e16ab38bc9b8e1da9bd31a519fa.png

Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Canadians

https://stats.cfldb.ca/team/bc-lions/

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The point being Sportsnet may be looking at things and how they rate regionally rather than on a micro scale

No doubt interest in the Canadians is growing while interest in the Lions is fading. But I don't think you can say that the Canadians are more popular than the Lions. I would argue that the Canadians game day experience is more enjoyable than the Lions game day experience which has led to the increase in attendance. It is also more instagramable.

While the experience is one thing, I would define popularity by other metrics: interest in the actual team, radio ratings, local followers on social media, etc.

Let this be a lesson for the CPL though. A lower level product can be successful if it is packaged properly.

@Kent You can't just look at attendance. The Canadians are at capacity at Nat Bailey stadium. In fact they have had to add seating over the last few years. If there were no capacity constraints, average attendances would be closer.

Plus, when you consider the level of product that we are talking about, the history of the leagues in this market, the vast differences in media coverage that each team receives, the fact that they are even this close should be a negative sign for the CFL people.

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I do live south of the Fraser. Not to be antagonistic but here are a few of the metrics I would go by.....

The Lions have a longer tradition, better brand recognition, way bigger fan base, amazing TV ratings, way better TV money, way more Lions merch being worn and recognized, bigger online presence, higher attendance, more prominent league, team known nationally, bigger footprint in province (training camp in Kamloops, training facility in Surrey), way better facility, better location, longer season...

I'm not saying the Sportsnet deal isn't a great thing for the Canadians, and that they aren't gaining momentum. I've heard it's a great game day experience.

If you walk down the street in Vancouver and offer 10 people a pair of Lions tickets or a pair of Canadian tickets. More people take the Canadian tickets every day of the week. Go in to Granville sports and ask the guy what he sells more, Canadians hats or anything BC Lions. I know the answer because I have recently done just that

Besides im not here to argue this because its way too subjective.. what's cooler, whats more relevant etc etc. Im making the point that you cant judge something by the totality of what it belongs to when their is regional aspects to a media platform. Something can have more value in 1 region than in another and more and more i think that is taken in to account by media outlets now and in the future. Salary caps, growing markets, shrinking markets, diversity, more teams in leagues all contribute to this 

Edited by SpursFlu

Lions tickets are priced higher as well, to be expected for a major league team vs the minor league Canadians of course who's tickets are at $12-22 only.

I couldn't agree with the opinion that more would take the single A ball tickets over the Lions and the fan base, profile, and interest is much bigger for the Lions in fact.

9 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

If you walk down the street in Vancouver and offer 10 people a pair of Lions tickets or a pair of Canadian tickets. More people take the Canadian tickets every day of the week.

Except we are talking about TV. BC Lions are by far the favourite over the Canadians on TV.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:21 AM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Very interesting, and as for the around the world bit. I just watched a random video on Facebook about a group of fans in England who love watching the J-league. Because of its unpredictablity and such. So I am sure there will be some random fans elsewhere who will want to qatch the CPL.

Well the gambling syndicates apparently love the current CSL...

10 hours ago, ted said:

Except we are talking about TV. BC Lions are by far the favourite over the Canadians on TV.

Actually no.. I was talking about how the CPL may hold additional value to Sportsnet than one may think because I believe reginal coverage is becoming more relevant to peoples sports interest. I then went on to give several examples as to why i think that

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Actually no.. I was talking about how the CPL may hold additional value to Sportsnet than one may think because I believe reginal coverage is becoming more relevant to peoples sports interest. I then went on to give several examples as to why i think that

Like someone pointed out to me, CPL winning SN coverage on the regional channel would still be a massive win. If they do well, they could land a spot on the national channel eventually.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

HOLY SHIT

Now you have to expect CPL to want in on DAZN

Wow.  When they took the champions league, I was intrigued but not enough to jump.  Put EPL and CPL on there and it is a no brainer.  If anything, I hope CPL does get on board because if the rest of the footy  properties are on DAZN it would suck to have CPL elsewhere.  Crazy play by DAZN.  

With Sportsnet and TSN losing Premier League, that severely weakens their sport offering. I don't think that they passed on Premier League but they were simply outbid by DAZN.

You have to now like CPL chances on getting on cable. My hope is they end up on BOTH cable and DAZN

So now no Champions League or EPL on regular cable meaning less and less soccer on regular cable but a whole shit load of Football,hockey, baseball and basketball on regular cable this my friends is not good for soccer in Canada with less and less soccer on regular TV, don’t be surprised that the next World Cup or future ones are also lost to’ DAZN. But no one on these boards seems to be concerned about this? 

Quite frankly, I've found the coverage of the EPL this year to be quite poor.  A lot more games shuffled off to TSN 3/4/5 than in the past, so fewer options (for me at least) in the morning.

Does Sportsnet still has Bundesliga next year?  I could see them moving those games off of World and on to their regular channels.  I could also see TSN (or Sportsnet) going out and getting the rights to another league at a cheaper price than the EPL.  I think soccer on Saturday/Sunday mornings works well for them.  There's few other live sporting events at that time, so soccer works well.  Just a matter of finding the right price point for them.

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

So now no Champions League or EPL on regular cable meaning less and less soccer on regular cable but a whole shit load of Football,hockey, baseball and basketball on regular cable this my friends is not good for soccer in Canada with less and less soccer on regular TV, don’t be surprised that the next World Cup or future ones are also lost to’ DAZN. But no one on these boards seems to be concerned about this? 

Great point...never thought of this while I was high-fiving myself in excitement earlier today. You are right that the casual fan may not run across much, if any, high quality soccer on tv. The hardcores will be happy but this might seriously hurt the viewing numbers involving those less dedicated soccer fans.

2 hours ago, 1996 said:

I'm not.  Simply because we've reached that tipping point where streaming/internet on-demand viewing is going to do what cable television did to broadcast television. 

There is a bit of transitional curve but before you know it the two are going to exist side by each as if they always did.  Who know's, maybe you'll be steaming DAZN in high def through your cable package this time in 2020?  

DAZN has the right idea though.  The highly fragmented footie communities in North America have always been willing to pay to be able to watch their particular leagues.  If I have one concern it's that DAZN is going all Sentanta on us.  Grand ideas, big investments, rapid bankruptcy.   

To those worried about DAZN, it's a sports provider not just soccer. Most big ticket sports league in Canada have their rights locked up for the time being but as DAZN adds content it will appeal more and more to the casual sports fan.

Instead of flipping through the channels and falling in love with soccer they will do it by scrolling through streams. Except now they can watch more of it when and where they want it.

The future is here and it is good!

35 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

DAZN has the right idea though.  The highly fragmented footie communities in North America have always been willing to pay to be able to watch their particular leagues.

Right, but it doesn't necessarily capture the casual fan.  If a casual fan is thinking they might be interested in seeing what the big deal is about the EPL (or any league), are they going to sign up for a package to do so?  It's one thing for it to be on a cable package you already have, and another to sign up for something.  I think that's the debate going on here and with what CPL should do in terms of TV.

4 hours ago, 1996 said:

don’t be surprised that the next World Cup or future ones are also lost to’ DAZN.

Bell Media (CTV/TSN) has Canadian rights to all FIFA events through 2026, so the next (men's) World Cup up for grabs is 2030.