CPL TV Contract

11 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I mean Sportsnet did pay like $500m for NHL. I'm thinking CPL could be had for less. Could be worth a roll of the dice.

$5.2 Billion over 12 years.

Much more likely CPL would have to pay to get on the air or outright purchase the time and try to support the production via commercial revenue.

I doubt the original CSL made a cent from TSN. Exposure was the key!

Edited by dbailey62

47 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I mean Sportsnet did pay like $500m for NHL. I'm thinking CPL could be had for less. Could be worth a roll of the dice.

CPL would have to work a schedule avoiding the Blue Jays if the network was interested at picking them up. Avoiding CFL and MLS would also be wise...

Thinking CPL scheduling have a huge challenge on their hands

Edited by Ansem

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

CPL would have to work a schedule avoiding the Blue Jays if the network was interested at picking them up. Avoiding CFL and MLS would also be wide...

Agreed.  It's a very crowded market but that's why TSN2 and Sportsnet360 exist.

6 minutes ago, dbailey62 said:

$5.2 Billion over 12 years.

Much more likely CPL would have to pay to get on the air or outright purchase the time and try to support the production via commercial revenue.

I doubt the original CSL made a cent from TSN. Exposure was the key!

Didn't CSB purchase Stadium Digital for that end? Knowing they'd mostly have to produce the content?

Just writing at loud

On the topic of production, I'm guessing Pacific and Halifax are the two clubs that will need some investment into broadcasting capabilities at the stadiums. I'm not sure about York.

Cavalry, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton shouldn't have any issues broadcasting HD content. 

The reason I bring this up is that the product needs to look professional on TV. To capture the average viewer, you can't have a TV camera pointed at the hydropole with no fans on that end in Victoria. I'm guessing people smarter than me have considered this in the stadium designs.

24 minutes ago, ESG Shawn said:

On the topic of production, I'm guessing Pacific and Halifax are the two clubs that will need some investment into broadcasting capabilities at the stadiums. I'm not sure about York.

Cavalry, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton shouldn't have any issues broadcasting HD content. 

The reason I bring this up is that the product needs to look professional on TV. To capture the average viewer, you can't have a TV camera pointed at the hydropole with no fans on that end in Victoria. I'm guessing people smarter than me have considered this in the stadium designs.

York Lions Stadium is fully equipped to broadcast apparently because it had to be to satisfy the requirements for the Pan Am Games. 

Vancouver Canadians just signed a broadcast deal with Sportsnet Pacific. People outside of the Lower Mainland might think wtf single A baseball but they are very popular here in Vancouver. Arguably more popular than the Lions, definitely considered "cooler" lots of talk about how regional broadcast deals are the future of sports tv as teams become more regional and very few teams still maintain a national interest. I see CPL teams nicely slottingin to Sportsnet regional coverage

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:24 PM, adamjwpgfutebol said:

Ok, if the CPL does to decide to get a tv contract, where would you most likely find it to be?

I could see as follows:

TSN - Because the CSA already shows their games on the station.

Telelatino- To have a multiultural broadcaster. 

Possibly CBC, but I dont know. I would prefer CPL games to be on CBC, (game of the week) but who knows, right? 

Since the CBC is SUPPOSED to show things of cultural significance to Canadians, they should be showing this league.  But I don't see that ever happening.  I also don't see TSN or Sportsnet showing it either because it will be too small. 

Maybe DAZN will pick it up if the CanPL provides them a feed?

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

All this Sportsnet coverage raises an eyebrow. That would be the only chance at cable in my opinion because MLS and TSN's relationship would probably stand in the way of anything over there

That's a very valid point about the TSN and MLS relationship, but I believe TSN also has a deal with Soccer Canada for the Voyageurs Cup.  Also, the MLS commissioner has stated that he doesn't see CanPL as a threat.

7 minutes ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

That's a very valid point about the TSN and MLS relationship, but I believe TSN also has a deal with Soccer Canada for the Voyageurs Cup.  Also, the MLS commissioner has stated that he doesn't see CanPL as a threat.

Not a threat.. sounds like lip service. How big a threat is the question but i can guarantee theyre not amped about the CPL

I would also like to challenge this notion of the CPL being "too small". CPL has one very big thing going for itself that the CFL always enjoys over NBA, MLB and even to a certain degree NHL. You always have the benefit of 2 Canadian markets

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, ESG Shawn said:

Edmonton doesn't have permanent broadcast capabilities. In the past they have needed to bring in a mobile production studio, as well as set up lifts behind the goal to mount a camera. This is one of the big reasons for Edmonton pressuring the city to upgrade the stadium.

Clarke stadium is just an ancient cement bleacher with 2 food sales areas. FC Edmonton brought in the metal stands on the opposite side, and would truck in a portable bleacher for behind the goal each game. The City of Edmonton needs to step up big time to support the team.

13 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Edmonton doesn't have permanent broadcast capabilities. In the past they have needed to bring in a mobile production studio, as well as set up lifts behind the goal to mount a camera. This is one of the big reasons for Edmonton pressuring the city to upgrade the stadium.

Doesn't FC Edmonton own that equipment now? I seem to recall Fath naming it as one of the big ticket items he eventually just bought

17 hours ago, ESG Shawn said:

To capture the average viewer, you can't have a TV camera pointed at the hydropole with no fans on that end in Victoria. I'm guessing people smarter than me have considered this in the stadium designs.

When showing us renderings of the stadium at a meet the owners night they talked about the cameras being  mounted on the hydro pole side facing the full stands. They are well aware that they need to make the stadium look as good and as full as possible on TV.

22 hours ago, Ansem said:

CPL would have to work a schedule avoiding the Blue Jays if the network was interested at picking them up. Avoiding CFL and MLS would also be wise...

Saturday evening leading in from the afternoon Jays game? Wishful thinking on my part but that would give it a nice exposure bump. 

20 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

They own an HD production truck for sure. Not sure about other equipment they would need. 

FCE have the means/experience for HD broadcasting, when NASL secured National TV deals with CBS Sports and beIN Sports all NASL clubs had to invest in 7 camera HD quality setups.

CPL should have similar minimum requirements from the get go for each club in order to present a top tier product.

22 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

FCE have the means/experience for HD broadcasting, when NASL secured National TV deals with CBS Sports and beIN Sports all NASL clubs had to invest in 7 camera HD quality setups.

CPL should have similar minimum requirements from the get go for each club in order to present a top tier product.

I figured they did but I couldn’t recall all the details. 

From a recent interview I was told that the clubs are expecting the specifications that they need to meet for broadcast purposes but haven’t yet received them from the league. But they know they’re coming so even if Pacific and Wanderers don’t have any broadcast setup it sounds like they know that they will need to and that they will be in the process of sorting it. 

On 12/4/2018 at 6:56 PM, rob.notenboom said:

York Lions Stadium is fully equipped to broadcast apparently because it had to be to satisfy the requirements for the Pan Am Games. 

Yes but York9 is not playing in the Pan Am stadium , they are playing in  the other stadium    situated closer to Steeles .

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Yes but York9 is not playing in the Pan Am stadium , they are playing in  the other stadium    situated closer to Steeles .

For some of the season, not all. Like everything else in their temporary stadium, I suspect they have a plan. Their plans for porting the first stadium to the second are rather impressive. 

On 12/4/2018 at 6:08 PM, SpursFlu said:

Vancouver Canadians just signed a broadcast deal with Sportsnet Pacific. People outside of the Lower Mainland might think wtf single A baseball but they are very popular here in Vancouver. Arguably more popular than the Lions, definitely considered "cooler" lots of talk about how regional broadcast deals are the future of sports tv as teams become more regional and very few teams still maintain a national interest. I see CPL teams nicely slottingin to Sportsnet regional coverage

That would be an extremely poor argument by so many metrics.

8 hours ago, LAK said:

That would be an extremely poor argument by so many metrics.

You live in Vancouver? And not south of the Fraser? I highly doubt it

The point being Sportsnet may be looking at things and how they rate regionally rather than on a micro scale

Edited by SpursFlu