CPL General

34 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Soccer Specific Stadium! Hell yeah :D

We need SSS in most franchises! Since Hamilton and Winnipeg are both from the ownership groups of the CFL's Bombers and Ticats, why would they build one? Makes sense of them to play at their stadiums. If Ottawa Fury join, same thing.

But Edmonton*, Calgary, Regina/Saskatoon, Quebec City and Halifax would need to build new facilities

*Maybe, already has Clarke* 

12 minutes ago, Mike Thompson said:

IMO, CPL in the 2019 season should be played in April, May, June, July, August, and September. 

Just like Iceland's first division and one other Scandinavian league I think 

The weather will be a huge factor in attendance so 

Reasonable, though maybe start late April with the prairie teams on road trips

12 minutes ago, Zem said:

I don't recall him saying anything negative previously, only that he believed it needed to be a proper professional league to succeed

Just looked back at the interview, you're right, thought he was critical of the idea. More like he had little faith in anyone pulling it off properly

5 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

AFTN reported on the latest podcast that the CPL have essentially given up on the 2018 start and are planning for 2019.

Frustrating but not a surprise if true. I do like this however, purely because the Sask team should be there in the inaugural season if its 2019. 

If the professionalism of the league is better served by waiting another year I can handle it. I'm sure the 6 ready to go would be disappointed but if there are another 3-4 or more teams ready to go for the year after so a proper league can be established that makes more sense to me. Save that year of wages and outlay more into community relation building and promo to lay the foundations. 

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The only thing that doesn't fit with the 2019 narrative is that there's no way Edmonton would take a year off. And they won't go to the USL. 

Yeah, that's what I thought as well.  Seems to be an odd move considering the momentum they've gained this year.  Wouldn't even be eligible for the Voyageurs Cup.  Maybe FCE wants to desperately avoid a D3 label at all costs, and they're willing to jump to USL for a season to make that happen?

Of course, maybe the simplest explanation is that USSF is no longer counting foreign teams as part of their sanctioning requirements.

The relative stabilities of their leagues and likely future franchise values are an easy way to rationalize that if it's accurate, but overall I'd be cautious as Nipun Chopra has a mixed track record when it comes to revealing stuff like this. He had the NASL pretty much dead and buried last year only for it to bounce back. You also have to question how he would always be able to get the inside scoop or whether he is extrapolating from what he knows for sure and is peddling educated guesses to try to smoke out more information through gaining enough attention on twitter that the people involved feel compelled to confirm or deny it. Beyond that Ottawa and Edmonton probably wouldn't announce anything officially unless/until CanPL is a done deal with a firm launch date and even 2019 is still a question mark until at least some of Halifax, K/W, Saskatoon, Surrey and the probably two more that have yet to surface in mainstream media terms have been able to finalize their stadium arrangements.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

What would be FC Edmonton's plan if they don't play in NASL in 2018? Do you take the year off and come into CPL in 2019 completely rebranded? Or just hope nobody notices the year off? Tricky situation... plus they have to have some guys on multi year deals right?