CPL General

2 hours ago, LAK said:

...Could that be a possibility?

Think calling a soccer marketing company that with no MLS or USSF involvement would have led to legal issues given there are likely to be registered trademarks involved. SUM will be doing a lot of the work related to the joint bid, so a Canadian branch office makes sense at this point. CanPL as envisaged circa 2014 with CFL owners chasing a solo hosting while aligned with Traffic Sports would have been a clear threat to MLS in Canada and SUM at the CONCACAF and FIFA levels. The moment cities like Halifax and Saskatoon entered the conversation, it became more of a minor league CHL equivalent type operation so I doubt they are all that concerned and I suspect they probably genuinely welcome it given the backdrop of a World Cup co-hosting that will almost certainly revolve around the three MLS markets.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think calling a soccer marketing company that with no MLS or USSF involvement would have led to legal issues given there are likely to be registered trademarks involved. SUM will be doing a lot of the work related to the joint bid, so a Canadian branch office makes sense at this point. CanPL as envisaged circa 2014 with CFL owners chasing a solo hosting while aligned with Traffic Sports would have been a clear threat to MLS in Canada and SUM at the CONCACAF and FIFA levels. The moment cities like Halifax and Saskatoon entered the conversation, it became more of a minor league CHL equivalent type operation so I doubt they are all that concerned and I suspect they probably genuinely welcome it given the backdrop of a World Cup co-hosting that will almost certainly revolve around the three MLS markets.

What I'm saying is that the CPL version of MLS's SUM is not and was never called "Canadian SUM", that was actually an example of what CPL was going to do here in Canada. Victor was giving us an idea of what else the league could do to generate income, the best way to describe it was to call it the equivalent to Canadian SUM. As far as I know SUM in Canada has nothing to do with that.

Think calling a soccer marketing company that with no MLS or USSF involvement would have led to legal issues given there are likely to be registered trademarks involved....

Not if it's called something else and Vic used it as a comparison.

SUM will be doing a lot of the work related to the joint bid, so a Canadian branch office makes sense at this point.

Yea but why does that mean it's linked to CPL?

CanPL as envisaged circa 2014 with CFL owners chasing a solo hosting while aligned with Traffic Sports would have been a clear threat to MLS in Canada and SUM at the CONCACAF and FIFA levels. The moment cities like Halifax and Saskatoon entered the conversation, it became more of a minor league CHL equivalent type operation so I doubt they are all that concerned and I suspect they probably genuinely welcome it given the backdrop of a World Cup co-hosting that will almost certainly revolve around the three MLS markets.

What the fuck are you on about at this point? If they did the CFL/NASL route, which was likely dead before the scandal (the arrests were on May 27 and the non-NASL reports broke within 48 hours I think), they'd still be outside of the 3 MLS markets and would likely be in all the same markets they're in now with a larger city replacing Regina and Halifax added. Even with the NASL in 2016 this would have been a minor league in your opinion.

Also the NASL's role in all this was been greatly exaggerated by Rollins own admission. When you explore their comments on the matter of Canadian expansion, they saw like two clubs joining for 2016 in March 2015 (which is a far cry from the seven teams Rollins reported on in 2014).

Bernie on the CMNT players playing in CPL: "I think the national team players are excited about the CPL, but for the next generation. We're not really looking at them, we're looking at finding 100-200 youngsters and giving them jobs playing soccer in Canada. If you look at the beginning on MLS that's how it was."

Bernie  on Pro/rel: "I've lived through it, it's fucking magic. You can look forward to that in the CPL's future. The Bundesliga is by far the standard when it comes to league format. But it's hard to accomplish that from the top down."

Edited by harrycoyster

5 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Bernie on the CMNT players playing in CPL: "I think the national team players are excited about the CPL, but for the next generation. We're not really looking at them, we're looking at finding 100-200 youngsters and giving them jobs playing soccer in Canada. If you look at the beginning on MLS that's how it was."

Bernie  on Pro/rel: "I've lived through it, it's fucking magic. You can look forward to that in the CPL's future. The Bundesliga is by far the standard when it comes to league format. But it's hard to accomplish that from the top down."

Did you catch what he said about the shield right at the end? Was cooking, got a bit distracted. 

Starting to wonder how much power Bernie really has over what the league will look like. He said that he is primarily interested in giving Canadians who haven't found a path to the pro game a place to play professionally, championed pro/rel, and apparently no playoffs. Surely the owners will want higher level players, no pro/rel, and playoffs. Bernie only ever really talked in hypotheticals, so it will be interesting how this all shakes out. 

Didn't answer questions on a CPL start date or teams.

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Starting to wonder how much power Bernie really has over what the league will look like. 

Power is probably the wrong word. He's an employee of the ownership, of course they will make the decisions, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a lot of influence. They hired him for a reason, presumably they hold his opinion in high regard 

2 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Starting to wonder how much power Bernie really has over what the league will look like. He said that he is primarily interested in giving Canadians who haven't found a path to the pro game a place to play professionally, championed pro/rel, and apparently no playoffs. Surely the owners will want higher level players, no pro/rel, and playoffs. Bernie only ever really talked in hypotheticals, so it will be interesting how this all shakes out. 

Didn't answer questions on a CPL start date or teams.

I think it's less than most including some media think. He's been described by some as the league's president but I suspect he's more of a project manager and his project is coordinating the ownership groups and CSA and being a public liaison for everyone else. While I think he helped model the business plan he's unlikely the master builder (I'd say Scott Mitchell, John McGrane and Bob Young and whoever is working in Winnipeg did more for it).

16 hours ago, matty said:

... (I'd say Scott Mitchell, John McGrane and Bob Young and whoever is working in Winnipeg did more for it).

As recently as May, John McGrane was on local Hamilton TV talking about the new Hamilton team eventually having a budget similar to TFC's after a few years, in a way which was very different in tone from some of the things PB has been saying about 200k sized markets and not wanting to need 20,000+ crowds to make it fly. Suspect it is more Scott Mitchell and Bob Young that are calling the shots and they may have been persuaded by PB's advise on these matters. 

20 hours ago, LAK said:

What I'm saying is that the CPL version of MLS's SUM is not and was never called "Canadian SUM", ...

What would such a marketing company have to sell that would be hugely revenue positive? The Curacao game shows what can still go wrong with the CMNT where home games are concerned and the new Nations League setup probably means more games like that. CanPL? Paul Beirne is saying a national broadcast deal isn't in their business plan. Friendlies by big name overseas clubs? Benfica vs Rangers shows the pitfalls even if it was probably mainly a local Portuguese community thing. SUM works as well as it does because of a special set of circumstances where Mexican and some other CONCACAF teams can make more money playing in the United States than at home and need USSF permission to be able to do so. There is no easy way to translate that into a similarly successful Canadian company.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

As recently as May, John McGrane was on local Hamilton TV talking about the new Hamilton team eventually having a budget similar to TFC's after a few years, in a way which was very different in tone from some of the things PB has been saying about 200k sized markets and not wanting to need 20,000+ crowds to make it fly. Suspect it is more Scott Mitchell and Bob Young that are calling the shots and they may have been persuaded by PB's advise on these matters. 

Sm and by are totally the bosses but i suspect mcgrane has more power here than pb. Pb to my knowledge isn't repping any groups before governmentsand once hamilton become official mcgrane took over as the hamilton's official rep and was listed as team president by chch.

In my opinion it's foolish to say that a seeming poorly organized club friendly, with very late notice, high ticket prices and in a window when the top players won't be there "shows the pitfalls" for trying to make money on these types of games.  They do them the right way every summer and make a crap load of money off of them given the attendance and the ticket prices.