CPL General

Well that was pretty self-righteous and ignoring everything I said when I apologized and clarified my intent when we butted heads before.  

Although I do find it funny when people normally critical of Rollins jump to his information when it fits their narrative.

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

Well that was pretty self-righteous and ignoring everything I said when I apologized and clarified my intent when we butted heads before.  

Although I do find it funny when people normally critical of Rollins jump to his information when it fits their narrative.

Aimed more at others, no worries.

5 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

So, in conclusion, the "uninformed, unhelpful, stupid" speculation on this thread was actually pretty incisive in places, the "special insiders" who were "driven away by the negativity" were mostly being fed optimistic bullshit by their self-serving sources and sports teams, leagues and facilities don't magically appear out of nowhere and realistic, measured discussion can be both interesting and useful.

I’ve seen soviet made Cold War era manure spreaders that could not carry a load of bullshit as big as this.

36 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Calling bullshit on this. Who is this anonymous Instagram account, and how would they know this before anyone credible mentions it publicly?

I have a 95% accurate idea of who it is, though I decided not to ask him directly for now lol. He's got some connections, but yep, I was very surprised to see that on the Instagram account without seeing anything about it on Twitter first. Who knows.

9 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

I have a 95% accurate idea of who it is, though I decided not to ask him directly for now lol. He's got some connections, but yep, I was very surprised to see that on the Instagram account without seeing anything about it on Twitter first. Who knows.

It may be very well that whomever is behind this Instagram account is right on a 2019 launch date, but there is no credibility behind the post itself. I think people are just so desperate to hear news on a launch date that they at willing to believe anything indicating one.

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

It may be very well that whomever is behind this Instagram account is right on a 2019 launch date, but there is no credibility behind the post itself. I think people are just so desperate to hear news on a launch date that they at willing to believe anything indicating one.

Hell, none of us can say for certain whether that account's got credibility on that post or not. Agreed with your 2nd sentence. Let's take it with a grain of salt, and see how it shakes down.

I follow on the gram its provided some pretty good analysis and info of possible teams and different supporters, often a summary of whats on here. Not much in the way of providing breaking info until now, there was also something regarding the Italian coach who was mentioned in here somewhere that was working with "Toronto CPL". Either way all signs do appear to be pointing to 2019, not unlikely that there is a credible source behind the claim but going to take it with a grain of salt also.

Edited by Red Renaissance

2018 not happening isn't something that CanPL have to officially announce at any point as PB has stated repeatedly that they will only launch when they are ready and in any interview I listened to always avoided confirming the 2018 short season thing. Wouldn't read anything into the slated for 2019 bit beyond that being the obvious next available starting point. 

On 2017-10-19 at 10:57 AM, Kent said:

Honestly, I'm not a fan of that idea, and it doesn't make me particularly happy that the American's have a similar plan as us. I really like the idea of us having a league of our own, without the help (or hinderance) of the USA. If we were to merge the two systems it's possible our teams would get weeded out. If, for example, our player development continues to lag behind USA's, then we would likely have weaker teams due to player quotas. If we don't have mostly Canadian players on Canadian teams, then the league loses a lot of appeal to me. Plus I like the idea of us having our own champions, qualifying for our own CONCACAF Champions League spots.

Canadian teams have a 25 year Stanley Cup drought with seemingly the only obvious handicap being the Canadian dollar (and maybe our taxes?). We could end up getting the majority or even all of our teams relegated from the top level.

Sorry, none of this idea seems appealing to me. We've got a couple MLS teams playing in an American league. So I don't think your idea fills much of a void. We have that, minus the pro/rel already. Our own league is much more appealing to me.

The only way they’d get weeded out is through relegation. As for player development, they aren’t a head of us at all. They have a professional league and a bigger population. We’ll catch up once our league is up and running.

Footy Soldiers email only pod on Surrey was sent out last night.  They seem to know a lot about the group and call them impressive.  Here's my takeaway points

-believe it can work in Surrey

-spoke of the demographics of people (migrants and exploding) moving to the area (including Langley) and point out the 20-30k local youth players being important

-not just Surrey but have approached other municipalities (which CPL said in the articles when reached for comment)

-ownership people are humble “and have reasons not to be humble”

-discussions between owners and municipalities focus on partnerships and relationships with community “win/win”, they’re really big on these people

-the say it seems like the city loves the proposal because of the short window they gave for other groups interested in the public notice to apply.

-they think once approved municipally it will go forward quickly

Ends with their usual waxing poetic on what the team and league needs to do in their opinion to succeed.  Only 12 minutes long but another interesting piece of the CPL puzzle until we know concrete stuff

On 10/20/2017 at 12:10 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Lol.  Doing my now-weekly check in on this thread.  Good to see things have move in such a constructive direction.  May need to make it monthly, but I doubt my ability to keep away.

Yeah took a spent a couple of days away from here and it was good I think lol.  Only came back to see if anyone recapped the Footy Soldiers pod.  Ok back to work

30 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Yeah took a spent a couple of days away from here and it was good I think lol.  Only came back to see if anyone recapped the Footy Soldiers pod.  Ok back to work

If you subscribe to their mailing list, Footysoldiers sent out an extended episode to discuss the Surrey team. Haven't listened yet

Edit: wow, completely missed your above post...ignore this... 

Edited by Complete Homer

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

If you subscribe to their mailing list, Footysoldiers sent out an extended episode to discuss the Surrey team. Haven't listened yet

Edit: wow, completely missed your above post...ignore this... 

I camouflaged the post so it was easy to miss in tribute to the soldiers :)

18 hours ago, Macksam said:

The only way they’d get weeded out is through relegation. As for player development, they aren’t a head of us at all. They have a professional league and a bigger population. We’ll catch up once our league is up and running.

I understand it would be through relegation that we would be weeded out. I stated how I thought that could be possible. I didn't even get into how our cities of a couple hundred thousand people would have to compete against their cities of over a million.

And of course they are ahead of us in player development. I couldn't even cherry pick a metric where we would be ahead of them. Their national teams are more successful at every level, they have more pro players than us. I don't know the inner workings of player development here and definitely not there, but they also have the USSDA, PDL across the country, and I am sure other things as well that they are doing better than us.

But yes, our own pro league may change that, or at least close the gap, but that's why I want it to remain separated so that we are able to close the gap instead of merging with them and ending up back where we are right now.

10 hours ago, Rheo said:

FC Edmonton update. Nothing much shorebirds but just the latest  

It's very telling how he specifically doesn't rule out a move to MLS.  It's become clear with the opening of an MLS office in Canada that this "C-SUM" is actually an extension of MLS' efforts to capitalize on the success of SUM north of the border instead of anything run by the CSA, whose attempts at starting this Canadian Premier League have been lacklustre at best (when Victor Montagliani couldn't confirm the league's name in that one interview) and based on a petty strain of nationalism which is also pervasive on these forums.  Coupled with Paul Beirne's recent statement of expanding the league to "population centres over 200,000" which Edmonton is well above and it becomes clear that Edmonton will be looking for a higher calibre league so they don't have to compete with towns like Kamloops in a MLS development league thanks to the shutdown of the Vancouver academy team.

Edited by Gopherbashi
BEING SARCASTIC YOU FOOLS