CPL General

9 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

My quick take on FCEd and the Faths is that they may end up signing a letter of commitment with NASL for 2018 soon if the CPL brass really does end up deciding or has already unofficially decided that it will launch in 2019 instead of 2018.

The one option that people haven't mentioned upthread, recently anyways, is NISA. I believe they're aiming for 2018, correct? If FCEd is on board with CPL and CSA is satisfied with that, I can see CSA sanctioning a 1-year stay in NISA, if NASL does end up going belly up due to the D2 sanctioning court battle.

Or go dominate NPSL or something for a year. There's a clear alliance between NASL, NISA and NPSL on one side, and between MLS, USL and USL PDL on the other. Or take the year off or whatever as people have suggested.

My understanding was that NISA was trying to aim for a regional setup to reduce travel costs.  FCE would be even worse for that than they are for NASL.

Also I really really don't see the CSA wanting to open the door on another American league.

Edited by Gopherbashi

5 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

My quick take on FCEd and the Faths is that they may end up signing a letter of commitment with NASL for 2018 soon if the CPL brass really does end up deciding or has already unofficially decided that it will launch in 2019 instead of 2018.

The one option that people haven't mentioned upthread, recently anyways, is NISA. I believe they're aiming for 2018, correct? If FCEd is on board with CPL and CSA is satisfied with that, I can see CSA sanctioning a 1-year stay in NISA, if NASL does end up going belly up due to the D2 sanctioning court battle.

Or go dominate NPSL or something for a year. There's a clear alliance between NASL, NISA and NPSL on one side, and between MLS, USL and USL PDL on the other. Or take the year off or whatever as people have suggested.

Isn't NISA on hold, since their business plan revolved around partnering with NASL? Pretty sure Wilt said the league won't launch in 2018 and is tbd until D2 is sorted

7 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

My understanding was that NISA was trying to aim for a regional setup to reduce travel costs.  FCE would be even worse for that than they are for NASL.

Also I really really don't see the CSA wanting to open the door on another American league.

Sure, how about this. I'd say NISA would be a more realistic landing option for FCEd than USL. I'd also say NPSL would be a more realistic landing option for FCEd than NISA.

I have no idea if FCEd would consider taking a year off. I do think FCEd playing in NASL is the most plausible option for the 2018 season.

So, for me, FCEd in terms of plausibility at the moment for 2018: NASL > NPSL > CPL > NISA > USL > USL PDL > AMSL > Taking the year off

9 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Isn't NISA on hold, since their business plan revolved around partnering with NASL? Pretty sure Wilt said the league won't launch in 2018 and is tbd until D2 is sorted

Hey, you're the CPL archivist, you might know better than me. There's been so much news the last 12 months, I can't keep track of what's what. That said, I'd be surprised if NISA didn't launch in 2018. The only place I can think where Wilt would have said a 2019 launch for sure is on his twitter. I do see NISA's website keeps it open for 2018 or 2019.

As connected as NASL and NISA are, I don't think NASL's court battles should delay NISA's launch, since they're not even doing p/r among them for years.

10 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Hey, you're the CPL archivist, you might know better than me. There's been so much news the last 12 months, I can't keep track of what's what. That said, I'd be surprised if NISA didn't launch in 2018. The only place I can think where Wilt would have said a 2019 launch for sure is on his twitter. I do see NISA's website keeps it open for 2018 or 2019.

As connected as NASL and NISA are, I don't think NASL's court battles should delay NISA's launch, since they're not even doing p/r among them for years.

Heh. My ability to keep up with everything for the past couple of months has been restricted, you'd know we well as I would. I'll do a google search and see if it comes back with what I'm thinking of

Edit:

DKK1MQ5W0AA4AXn.jpg:large

Not exactly a no to 2018 but probably a question mark, though this is a month old

Edited by Complete Homer

Just to bring it back to CPL, I'm happy that the board is slowly but surely getting more onboard with a 2019 launch instead of a 2018 launch over the past few months. I think the CPL is too important for the long-term development of soccer in Canada for its launch to be rushed in any form or format whatsoever.

Looking forward to a full stable of 8, hell maybe even 10 teams at launch, and for 2018 to be a full year of hype train, kit and naming contests, SG meetups and parties, jersey launches, stadium openings etc. The Fury did a great job of hyping up its debut NASL season all throughout 2013 even while it was playing in PDL, and the kit design contest they had on FB/Twitter/IG in particular really struck a chord with me at the time. Look at its timeline, NASL announced that Ottawa won the rights to a team all the way back in 2011, just for a launch in 2014; it took 3 full years for a single club that already had nearly a decade in PDL.

Good things come to those who are patient, for sure. And all we need to do is take a little black marker to the 2018 shirt to make it say 2019 instead lol.

Edited by ironcub14

13 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Heh. My ability to keep up with everything for the past couple of months has been restricted, you'd know we well as I would. I'll do a google search and see if it comes back with what I'm thinking of

Nice, thanks for finding that tweet, I do vaguely remember seeing it. The ironic thing is that NISA would become of greater importance in US if NASL collapsed lol. Based on that TBD, I'm still thinking that NASL shouldn't affect NISA's launch that much, but definitely something to watch for sure.

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

Looking forward to a full stable of 8, hell maybe even 10 teams at launch, and for 2018 to be a full year of hype train, kit and naming contests, SG meetups and parties, jersey launches, stadium openings etc. The Fury did a great job of hyping up its debut NASL season all throughout 2013 even while it was playing in PDL, and the kit design contest they had on FB/Twitter/IG in particular really struck a chord with me at the time.

Interesting thought about the Fury working on their pro aspect while still playing in thr PDL.  I wonder how much of a benefit there would be if Hamilton or Winnipeg started a scaled-back operation in L1O or PDL respectively for a year before CPL started.  They could build up a fan base and start working out the kinks before hitting the big leagues.  A dress rehearsal season of sorts for them.

4 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

NISA is waiting for the NASL injunction decision. I think NISA launches 2018 as a D2 league if NASL does NOT get they're injunction and takes the NASL clubs into NISA.

If Can PL waits till 2019 expect FC Edmonton to play in NASL or a D2 NISA for 2018 before joining Can PL in 2019.

If FC Edmonton is the only team to leave for another league this year, they likely have to pay that NASL exit fee we heard so much about last year with Ottawa.  So, either they pay the exit fee and the costs for running the club without a league for a year (or more) or they sign the LoI with NASL and must share in the litigation costs and keeping a club running for a season that may or may not happen. Doesn't sound like a lot of good choices for the Faths.

15 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

If FC Edmonton is the only team to leave for another league this year, they likely have to pay that NASL exit fee we heard so much about last year with Ottawa.  So, either they pay the exit fee and the costs for running the club without a league for a year (or more) or they sign the LoI with NASL and must share in the litigation costs and keeping a club running for a season that may or may not happen. Doesn't sound like a lot of good choices for the Faths.

There's two conditions that drop the exit fee to a negligible level. The first you mentioned with the total number of teams, but the second is loss of D2 status. 

We'll have to see how the injunction goes to see if they will retain D2 status in 2018

If the latest NASL hail mary succeeds (posted the link in the NASL thread) for 2018 and if CPL is going to launch in 2019 maybe FCE stays in the NASL and then jumps for launch.  They keep momentum going in the market, NASL looks better on paper for another year is win/win in my opinion.

No I don't have any evidence, just a theory of what could possibly happen.

Unexpected news about NASL and NPSL from Nipun again yesterday. Edit: I just realized this is what Rheo meant right above about the latest NASL hail mary lol.

"seven teams — mostly current NPSL teams — signed letters of intent (LOIs) to join the league. These LOIs were signed in September 2017."

https://www.soctakes.com/2017/10/16/multiple-teams-sign-lois-2018-nasl-season/

Edited by ironcub14

Here is my dream scenario for the case where FC Edmonton leave NASL now, and CPL doesn't start until 2019. They spend the year expanding/replacing Clarke stadium with a beautiful and larger stadium (maybe 10,000ish?), and possibly rebrand the team a bit and do a marketing push to end up stronger than ever in 2019.

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

Here is my dream scenario for the case where FC Edmonton leave NASL now, and CPL doesn't start until 2019. They spend the year expanding/replacing Clarke stadium with a beautiful and larger stadium (maybe 10,000ish?), and possibly rebrand the team a bit and do a marketing push to end up stronger than ever in 2019.

And find business partners...let's say Katz group?

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

And find business partners...let's say Katz group?

Not even on their radar when they were asked about it earlier this year and subsequent events are consistent with the Faths always having been the potentially interested group in Edmonton even if it was too soon to go public as they still had tickets to sell in the NASL and CanPL was/is no sure thing, so earlier speculation to the contrary was probably misleading. If you need 5000 to be successful in a CanPL context then Clarke Stadium is sufficient for now. The city council has talked about looking at a larger medium sized stadium if FCE ever start consistently selling out.

Something just occurred to me. This might be stating the obvious but here it goes.

With the recent news around Surrey and Edmonton, the potential teams that seem the most likely at this point are Surrey, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Hamilton, and Halifax. Obviously a lot needs to happen still so these cities aren't guaranteed (even Hamilton has to sort out some issues), but if/when these teams materialize (not necessarily right from the start) that would mean we have teams in...

BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Atlantic Canada (by way of Nova Scotia).

Obviously we all want Quebec represented too, but that is starting to look like a pretty good blanket over the country. That's as many provinces as the CFL has ever had teams in, and more than the NHL has ever had. At times over the last couple years of news and rumors I've worried that we might have something like a team in Manitoba, maybe 1 or 2 Alberta teams, 2 or 3 teams in Ontario, and maybe one in Quebec or Halifax, which would look pretty spotty, with big province sized gaps. But it looks like we are really getting towards a well spread out league, which is fantastic.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

Something just occurred to me. This might be stating the obvious but here it goes.

With the recent news around Surrey and Edmonton, the potential teams that seem the most likely at this point are Surrey, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Hamilton, and Halifax. Obviously a lot needs to happen still so these cities aren't guaranteed (even Hamilton has to sort out some issues), but if/when these teams materialize (not necessarily right from the start) that would mean we have teams in...

BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Atlantic Canada (by way of Nova Scotia).

Obviously we all want Quebec represented too, but that is starting to look like a pretty good blanket over the country. That's as many provinces as the CFL has ever had teams in, and more than the NHL has ever had. At times over the last couple years of news and rumors I've worried that we might have something like a team in Manitoba, maybe 1 or 2 Alberta teams, 2 or 3 teams in Ontario, and maybe one in Quebec or Halifax, which would look pretty spotty, with big province sized gaps. But it looks like we are really getting towards a well spread out league, which is fantastic.

PB has always said they want to be a "coast to coast" league so I think this is what we're seeing.

23 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

When does Edmonton have to tell the NASL when they are playing by? As mentioned by others, NISA is just a pipe dream at this point.

If NASL gets the injunction to remain D2 they could tell them by January, USSF's D2 standards wont mean anything with the injunction so the usual end of Nov would not be in play.

If you think NISA is a pipe dream your sorely mistaken and don't know Peter Wilt. He was just on a podcast today speaking of NISA and the independent club pro/rel pyramid they will set up alongside the MLS/USL AAA style model. He has an article coming out tomorrow with more of the details.

11 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

It hasn't been released as to who is funding the litigation, could be an equal split with the clubs but the NASL Billionaire's Da Silva (Miami) and Rocco (NY Cosmos) could be the ones ponying up the $ for all we know and as some suspect.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If you need 5000 to be successful in a CanPL context then Clarke Stadium is sufficient for now. The city council has talked about looking at a larger medium sized stadium if FCE ever start consistently selling out.

Yeah, city said sell out for 3 years in a row before they will start stage 2 of Clarke's expansion that will bring it to about 10k and although they've done great this year they haven't sold it out consistently yet. Clarke should do fine for the first couple of years of CPL. If pointy ball gets moved out of Clarke then the ideal setup for the next step would be put the oddly placed two corner stands up to the ends of the field like Jay Ball has talked about, would close it in nicely and give improved optics.