CPL General

7 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

@ironcub14

Not closelyvrelated to CPL, but just following up on our earlier conversation:

http://midfieldpress.com/2017/10/18/vision-and-plan-to-use-prorel-to-get-us-soccer-on-track/

Sounds like Wilt is going forward with or without NASL, and they are open to forming a second division on their own eventually 

Wow, that's an incredibly informative article. I think Beirne and Wilt have said before that they do consult each other periodically, correct? There's a lot of parallel between what Wilt's just laid out for NISA and what a lot of fans are looking for in CPL.

There's tons we could comment on, but I think the one thing that stood out for me that shows the irony of all this debacle is how NASL and NISA couldn't agree on a system between the two of them a few months ago. Fans have always said that the true litmus test of the desired openness of NASL was how willing they were to relegate teams to a division below them. There's a ton of info in that article obviously, like how NISA is happy to accept NASL teams if the league dissolves, or the single table, or the NISA1/2/3, but that one stands out to me.

Would be cool to see Beirne one day post a similar article on NSXI or something ;)

Edited by ironcub14

18 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

@ironcub14

http://midfieldpress.com/2017/10/18/vision-and-plan-to-use-prorel-to-get-us-soccer-on-track/

Sounds like Wilt is going forward with or without NASL, and they are open to forming a second division on their own eventually 

Also really digging this part about a potential split to NISA1 and NISA2, how Wilt is making this clear before the league kicks off. Got to have goals to work towards, and this is similar to what Beirne should lay out as well for a future CPL1 or CPL2 (I disagree with the 10/10+ split, the top division has to be 12 or 14 teams at least). Fine if we never get there, but lay it in the charter and the framework if we do somehow optimistically get there.

"Once there are 20 or more teams, the single table will be used to determine which ten clubs are promoted to NISA 1 in 2020 while the remaining clubs will play 2020 in NISA 2."

48 minutes ago, L.MODRIC said:

lol....really?

maybe if the people within the "CPL" had some knowledge of soccer and knew what the hell they were doing 

MLS took 8 years to get off the ground. Patience

2013 is a bit off the cuff as well. Back then it was a vague idea between Montagliani and Young to have a Canadian division of NASL

Edited by Complete Homer

2 hours ago, L.MODRIC said:

lol....really?

maybe if the people within the "CPL" had some knowledge of soccer and knew what the hell they were doing 

So the guy responsible for getting TFC of the ground has no knowledge of launching a football team but some anonymous big mouth on the internet knows all.  Let me guess, you are under the age of 20?

2 hours ago, L.MODRIC said:

lol....really?

So the guy responsible for getting TFC of the ground has no knowledge of launching a football team but some anonymous big mouth on the internet knows all.  Let me guess, you are under the age of 20?

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, it might have been.  I'm on my phone from Italy and pulled November 2013 out of my ass.

I think you were right, in the sense that this go published in 2013. Haven't seen anything else earlier, aside from the moratorium

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/3412498-ticats-involved-in-early-days-of-new-vision-for-canadian-soccer/

But yeah, it's pretty clear they were spitballing at that point

6 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

@ironcub14

I am glad the Americans are forming something of a similar vision to what we're trying to do up here. 

8 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Also really digging this part about a potential split to NISA1 and NISA2, how Wilt is making this clear before the league kicks off. Got to have goals to work towards, and this is similar to what Beirne should lay out as well for a future CPL1 or CPL2 (I disagree with the 10/10+ split, the top division has to be 12 or 14 teams at least). Fine if we never get there, but lay it in the charter and the framework if we do somehow optimistically get there.

"Once there are 20 or more teams, the single table will be used to determine which ten clubs are promoted to NISA 1 in 2020 while the remaining clubs will play 2020 in NISA 2."

I imagine the plan at that point for further expansion would be to add new clubs to division 2 and have clubs get promoted to division 1 without any clubs getting relegated from division 1 during years when there is going to be expansion.

8 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Wow, that's an incredibly informative article. I think Beirne and Wilt have said before that they do consult each other periodically, correct? There's a lot of parallel between what Wilt's just laid out for NISA and what a lot of fans are looking for in CPL.

Perhaps 20 years down the road we can combine both open market structures and create a true North American Premier League. It doesn't matter where in Canada or the United States you are, you can start a club and work your way from the bottom to the top like true libertarians. Imagine 60 years down the line we have a club from Quebec City for example rising through 4/5 tiers of North American soccer to beat a team from Chicago and clinching a North American Premier league? The vision is true money imo.    

Rollins on the Soccer Today pod yesterday talked come CPL.  Nothing earth shattering but interesting that his perspective has changed slightly.

-he's tired of "wolf crying" from his sources.  He's heard so many different launch dates he doesn't believe them.  

-he's in the 2019 camp, figuring no way 2018 can be in play using common sense.  Also said FC Edmonton was the main voice advocating the 2018 launch.

-thinks the announcement in the spring was to avoid leaks so that they could have open discussions with municipalities, getting in front of it.

Curious to check out the new Footy Soldiers pod.  They've hinted to knowing some info previously regarding CPL in BC and wondering if they have anything with the public Surrey new.  Of course at work I've got a stupid audit so my podcast listening time will be short lol

53 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Rollins on the Soccer Today pod yesterday talked come CPL.  Nothing earth shattering but interesting that his perspective has changed slightly.

-he's tired of "wolf crying" from his sources.  He's heard so many different launch dates he doesn't believe them.  

-he's in the 2019 camp, figuring no way 2018 can be in play using common sense.  Also said FC Edmonton was the main voice advocating the 2018 launch.

-thinks the announcement in the spring was to avoid leaks so that they could have open discussions with municipalities, getting in front of it.

Curious to check out the new Footy Soldiers pod.  They've hinted to knowing some info previously regarding CPL in BC and wondering if they have anything with the public Surrey new.  Of course at work I've got a stupid audit so my podcast listening time will be short lol

Thanks for the summaries as always, incredibly helpful. Totally makes sense the Eddies were pushing for 2018, I think that's what a lot of us were thinking without saying it.

14 hours ago, Macksam said:

Perhaps 20 years down the road we can combine both open market structures and create a true North American Premier League. It doesn't matter where in Canada or the United States you are, you can start a club and work your way from the bottom to the top like true libertarians. Imagine 60 years down the line we have a club from Quebec City for example rising through 4/5 tiers of North American soccer to beat a team from Chicago and clinching a North American Premier league? The vision is true money imo.    

Honestly, I'm not a fan of that idea, and it doesn't make me particularly happy that the American's have a similar plan as us. I really like the idea of us having a league of our own, without the help (or hinderance) of the USA. If we were to merge the two systems it's possible our teams would get weeded out. If, for example, our player development continues to lag behind USA's, then we would likely have weaker teams due to player quotas. If we don't have mostly Canadian players on Canadian teams, then the league loses a lot of appeal to me. Plus I like the idea of us having our own champions, qualifying for our own CONCACAF Champions League spots.

Canadian teams have a 25 year Stanley Cup drought with seemingly the only obvious handicap being the Canadian dollar (and maybe our taxes?). We could end up getting the majority or even all of our teams relegated from the top level.

Sorry, none of this idea seems appealing to me. We've got a couple MLS teams playing in an American league. So I don't think your idea fills much of a void. We have that, minus the pro/rel already. Our own league is much more appealing to me.

Was it mainly FC Edmonton on 2018? Don't doubt they would have been pushing it hard, if they knew the NASL were circling the drain in D2 USSF sanctioning terms by that point, but I think Paul Beirne was saying there was a greater than 50% chance for 2018 as recently as before the Valencia game in Regina and I don't think they would have pushed the whole 2018 soft launch angle so hard earlier this year if it was seen as a total non-starter? The issue in Hamilton with whether or not the Ticats' exclusive pro soccer rights have expired was probably a major factor as well, if there were wider financial implications involved for the Ticats on things like Grey Cup hostings that made an out of court compromise on the stadium building litigation problematic.

The bizarre NIMBY inspired amendments to the preliminary stadium approval in Halifax and the failure of Soccer Nova Scotia to hold the event in September probably didn't help either, but stuff like that is nothing out of the ordinary and explains why these things are usually difficult to accomplish on a tight timeline.  Check out David Beckham's saga in Miami for what can happen on stadiums or how MLS related soccer specific stadia were actively blocked from happening in both Vancouver and Ottawa because they didn't fit with other locally powerful people's agendas. There are many more reasons to be positive now about CanPL happening but there's still a long way to go. 

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

So, in conclusion, the "uninformed, unhelpful, stupid" speculation on this thread was actually pretty incisive in places, the "special insiders" who were "driven away by the negativity" were mostly being fed optimistic bullshit by their self-serving sources and sports teams, leagues and facilities don't magically appear out of nowhere and realistic, measured discussion can be both interesting and useful.