CPL General

Tough break for Pacific FC.

I see both Pacific FC and York 9 FC as being the two clubs most likely to keep on U-Sports players. Being middle of the pack isn't too bad for York, but pulling 2nd last is going to limit Pacific's choices.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

27 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Tough break for Pacific FC.

I see both Pacific FC and York 9 FC as being the two clubs most likely to keep on U-Sports players. Being middle of the pack isn't too bad for York, but pulling 2nd last is going to limit Pacific's choices.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I feel like York will probably be a destination for both foreign and domestic players. I don't think they'll have a hard time drawing players to play in GTA

8 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I feel like York will probably be a destination for both foreign and domestic players. I don't think they'll have a hard time drawing players to play in GTA

The reality is that due to York 9 location, Toronto, they will have a easier time to draw internationals. Hope they take full advantage

21 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Yeah, I've lived in Toronto. Once they have seen the West Coast I don't think we'll have a hard time drawing players to PFC. ;)

If I'm a decent player from, say Sao Paolo or Dakar or Sarajevo, who's getting into my mid- to late-twenties, with a wife and a kid, or two, on the way, my realistic World Cup dreams faded away, I'd think a decent salary and a quiet life on Vancouver Island might sound pretty appealing. Ditto, Halifax.

It's all about how these clubs identify potential players and then sell them on joining.

Already hit Sportsnet: https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadian-premier-league-acquires-league1-ontario/

"[League1 Ontario Commissioner Dino] Rossi concurred, telling Sportsnet: “Bringing League1 Ontario under the wing of the Canadian Premier League and serving as the CPL’s official development league is a massive opportunity for our league.”

Rossi added: “With the support of the CPL and working closely with Ontario Soccer, we will have access to greater resources than ever before, allowing us to deliver a much more clearly defined pathway for the most talented players being produced at the grassroots level and to create an even greater stage for our best players, coaches and match officials to perform upon.”

"This is a type of model that we see in other sports, such as professional hockey and how that works with the CHL across Canada," Clanachan said.

Hopefully this means that we'll see a true nation-wide, CHL-type second division system emerge within the next decade.

Edited by m-g-williams

28 minutes ago, tyler453 said:

Paving the way for regional second division leagues in the future? I like the move.

This is what I’m hoping for as well.  If we had 3 regional leagues that operated like in Germany (im not sure how the promotion relegation works there.. i.e if two teams from the same region were relegated from the B3 but they make it work so I’m sure we could make it work).

Im sure there wasn’t much of a fee involved here as it is a no brainer for L1O.  Another thing Ottawa is missing out on.. 

Im hoping these clubs aren’t direct affiliates like NA minor league teams but feeder clubs.  It will be interesting to see how this affects TFC Academy as well, depending on the arrangements.  I.e if you can play L1O and have the chance to be called up to first team CPL every so often why play for TFC III in the same league and be 2++ steps away from the first team? 

Hopefully we are taking advantages of the short comings of MLS.  Beat them by doing things from a true footballing perspective and you’ll make MLS development a plan B. 

Great, yet weird news. I understand you'd want to announce this as soon as possible, and that other regional leagues are distinct moral persons and have to be negociated with seperatly, but as a national league its weird to only be linked with one regional league. Surely the CSA couldve helped to handle this more holisticly. 

Edited by fmfranck

Not clear yet how significant this will be in practice especially when only two out of seven teams at launch are in Ontario. Doubt there is a pro/rel angle involved. Suspect it's more about developing credible academy systems without spending too much money by hooking up with large suburban youth clubs. Having TFC III depart for USSDA may have made things easier, but it will be interesting to see how having the two TFC aligned teams in London and Windsor is handled.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

19 minutes ago, Keegan said:

This is what I’m hoping for as well.  If we had 3 regional leagues that operated like in Germany (im not sure how the promotion relegation works there.. i.e if two teams from the same region were relegated from the B3 but they make it work so I’m sure we could make it work).

Im sure there wasn’t much of a fee involved here as it is a no brainer for L1O.  Another thing Ottawa is missing out on.. 

Im hoping these clubs aren’t direct affiliates like NA minor league teams but feeder clubs.  It will be interesting to see how this affects TFC Academy as well, depending on the arrangements.  I.e if you can play L1O and have the chance to be called up to first team CPL every so often why play for TFC III in the same league and be 2++ steps away from the first team? 

Hopefully we are taking advantages of the short comings of MLS.  Beat them by doing things from a true footballing perspective and you’ll make MLS development a plan B. 

I agree, though technically TFC III have left. There still remains FC London and Windsor TFC with affiliation agreements.

Maybe one way to extend an olive branch to MLSE would be to allow them to invest in FC London and keep the club relatively independent from TFC. With all the talk about the possibility of L1O clubs joining CPL, that's the only one I see as viable right now.