CPL General

2 hours ago, tyler453 said:

Pretty much all I got out of that was 10 teams by 2020, 14 by 2024, 16 by 2026. The only thing known about the schedule is which teams are playing the inaugural game and when. Not sure why they don't just let us know soon. Says the schedule is taking time because there could be rogue snowstorms in April in some places. Seems like a bad excuse as to why they haven't released a schedule. Maybe they're just holding out until the absolute last minute to see if they can get an 8th team, but IMO its too late for that. 

Better be Valour vs Forge.

On 10/21/2018 at 6:52 AM, RickC said:

So York9 is following Forge's example of including authentic team jerseys with each season ticket? :)

It is an excellent marketing strategy IMHO. What better way to get the brand out there than having thousands of people walking around wearing team jerseys?

With that said, I just can't buy into feeling miffed because Winnipeg didn't do it. If I want a jersey I will buy one. But the teams that did it have certainly made a lot of friends.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Inaugural game prediction

Biggest stadium is Tim Horton's Field (CPL configuration)

East vs West for the coast to coast vibe

Most Western recognizable city in the league...Calgary

April 2019 - Forge FC vs Cavalry

I'm going for Derby days:

Cavalry vs. Edmonton

Forge vs. York

HFX vs. Valour

---

Pacific vs. Cavalry

Edited by dsqpr

I think you want to make a strong statement on the opening day of a new league. To do so, you want to ensure that you have 3 great attendances that will then give you momentum into the second week. On that score, you have to put the 3 biggest teams (attendance-wise) at home on Week 1.

Round 1:

HFX vs Pacific (coast-to-coast statement for inaugural match - Friday night, national TV)

Forge vs Edmonton

Valour vs Cavalry

York9 bye

Round 2:

York9 vs Forge (1st derby - Friday night, national TV)

Pacific vs Cavalry

Edmonton vs Valour

HFX bye

Round 3:

Cavalry vs Edmonton (Al Classico - Friday night, national TV)

HFX vs York9

Valour vs Pacific

Forge bye

That's how I'd play out the first 3 weeks if I was commissioner and had CBC on board for a 'Match of the Week'.

6 hours ago, dsqpr said:

It is an excellent marketing strategy IMHO. What better way to get the brand out there than having thousands of people walking around wearing team jerseys?

With that said, I just can't buy into feeling miffed because Winnipeg didn't do it. If I want a jersey I will buy one. But the teams that did it have certainly made a lot of friends.

dsqpr, I may be able to make you feel a bit better. I don't think York is including jerseys with season's tickets; they are giving away scarves. My statement about York following Forge's example of including jerseys was an attempt (apparently failed) at humour. I was responding to Complete Homer's post which included a statement from Jim Brennan about some trialists definitely wearing York's colours. I simply meant that may do so because they will buy tickets and receive a York jersey. Not because they will definitely play for York.

13 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think you want to make a strong statement on the opening day of a new league. To do so, you want to ensure that you have 3 great attendances that will then give you momentum into the second week. On that score, you have to put the 3 biggest teams (attendance-wise) at home on Week 1.

Round 1:

HFX vs Pacific (coast-to-coast statement for inaugural match - Friday night, national TV)

Forge vs Edmonton

Valour vs Cavalry

York9 bye

Round 2:

York9 vs Forge (1st derby - Friday night, national TV)

Pacific vs Cavalry

Edmonton vs Valour

HFX bye

Round 3:

Cavalry vs Edmonton (Al Classico - Friday night, national TV)

HFX vs York9

Valour vs Pacific

Forge bye

That's how I'd play out the first 3 weeks if I was commissioner and had CBC on board for a 'Match of the Week'.

Fridays won't draw as well as Saturdays, CPL should aim for the vast majority of matches on weekends and Sat as first choice.

8 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Fridays won't draw as well as Saturdays, CPL should aim for the vast majority of matches on weekends and Sat as first choice.

Winnipeg is cottage country so Fridays are likely to draw better here.

13 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

There may some overlap with TFC games....that should be a reason to wait for the MLS schedule to drop and CPL to work around it in the Toronto area.     

Except that the MLS schedule is often infuriatingly late in coming out, because they in turn need to know when some stadiums are available.  If they're holding up the CPL schedule for one market (and I don't think they are), then that's a pretty poor move I think.

On 11/5/2018 at 7:44 PM, Kent said:

You beat me to it. As soon as I saw that I figured it had to be Valour vs Forge, and I’ll take it a bit further and predict it will be in Hamilton.

Oooh,... gonna vote Winnipeg hosting. Central location, not great for flying, but... After all... there were only those two Presidents at that CSA AGM.

Come, its Winnipeg and Hamilton we are talking about, two of the most demeaned and derided cities in Canada, let us have this!

30 minutes ago, Wingback6 said:

Oooh,... gonna vote Winnipeg hosting. Central location, not great for flying, but... After all... there were only those two Presidents at that CSA AGM.

Come, its Winnipeg and Hamilton we are talking about, two of the most demeaned and derided cities in Canada, let us have this!

The variable April Winnipeg weather dictates that it would be in Hamilton, unfortunately.

Edited by dsqpr

6 hours ago, dsqpr said:

The variable April Winnipeg weather dictates that it would be in Hamilton, unfortunately.

Exactly.  All we need is having the inaugural CPL game postponed because of a snow storm. Otherwise A league opener in Winnipeg would of been great also. ( Now watch it snow in Hamilton and be sunny in Winnipeg Lol).

https://canpl.ca/article/draft-order-revealed-cavalry-fc-gets-1st-pick-in-inaugural-cpl-u-sports-draft

The Draft order has been decided 

Round 1

1. Cavalry FC 2. Valour FC 3. Forge FC 4. York 9 FC 5. HFX Wanderers FC 6. Pacific FC 7. FC Edmonton

Round 2

8. FC Edmonton 9. Pacific FC 10. HFX Wanderers FC 11. York 9 FC 12. Forge FC 13. Valour FC 14. Cavalry FC 

Round 3

15. Cavalry FC 16. Valour FC 17. Forge FC 18. York 9 FC 19. HFX Wanderers FC 20. Pacific FC 21. FC Edmonton