CPL General

10 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I don't follow it but I see it retweeted enough.  A lot of the "rumours" is stuff said around the net, or items anyone can speculate on and just put on a twitter account.  You throw enough out there you're bound to hit some things right  You can't say they haven't been wrong when some of the stuff they say hasn't been decided. 

-DAZN is tv frontrunner

-Nick Dasovic turned down the York 9 job

-Hamilton won't be called Founders

-Paulus/Flemming front runners for FCE job

They might be connected.  I don't know.  I'm just skeptical is all I'm saying

DAZN isn't "TV" though. Giving them exclusive rights domestically would be nuts.

Just now, mpg_29 said:

DAZN isn't "TV" though. Giving them exclusive rights domestically would be nuts.

was quickly paraphrasing some of the account's tweets and put it wrong.  I'll amend the original post

24 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Eric Bergeron back tracking a bit but says he will try to get more details today.

Now he's doubling down, new tweet says the provincial association is contacting clubs to prepare them for structural changes that will take place after the arrival of a team in Quebec City in 2019

3 minutes ago, Rheo said:

was quickly paraphrasing some of the account's tweets and put it wrong.  I'll amend the original post

Yeah I just read the tweet in question:

It would be bad if DAZN has exclusive rights domestically imo. For a new league to competently forgo TV in the country it exists in would not be a smart move.

The only way it would make sense is if DAZN just offered an obscene amount of money and you couldn't say no.

12 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah I just read the tweet in question:

It would be bad if DAZN has exclusive rights domestically imo. For a new league to competently forgo TV in the country it exists in would not be a smart move.

The only way it would make sense is if DAZN just offered an obscene amount of money and you couldn't say no.

Yeah I love DAZN but I don't think it's the way to grow the league. The CPL needs a soccer night in Canada on CBC or another big channel. 

On 6/8/2018 at 12:31 PM, Rheo said:

links to new CPL filings 

Two things:

1) "Premier League Canadienne" doesn't make any sense in French; it should be "Première Ligue Canadienne" (or, more properly, "Première ligue canadienne"). This is how it's styled on the website, so I hope to God whoever posted the Reddit message just misspelled it.

2) How the hell has the CPL gone this long *without* trademarking the name in French? This should have been one of the first things done.

And if you'll all humour me for a moment's rant: while I'm fairly happy overall with the French-language content on the website (minus the fact that the club info is only available in English), I'm pretty disappointed with the social media presence. They started off right releasing messages/videos in both languages and including a bilingual descriptor on Twitter, but since late April it's been almost 100% English content. They should be doing like the Impact and releasing bilingual tweets or separate but identical tweets in each language. If this league wants to be national, it needs to embrace the bilingual nature of this country.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled speculation, hypothesizing and/or wild enthusiasm/pessimism. :)

Edited by m-g-williams

2 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

2) How the hell has the CPL gone this long *without* trademarking the name in French? This should have been one of the first things done.

They added to the post in the comments, 

1. EDIT: Looks like the Premier League Canadienne was filed a long time ago, but only progressed to "advertisement" stage now. Not sure what that really means, may be more coincidental than implied above.

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

They added to the post in the comments, 

1. EDIT: Looks like the Premier League Canadienne was filed a long time ago, but only progressed to "advertisement" stage now. Not sure what that really means, may be more coincidental than implied above.

Ok, that seems a bit more reasonable. But fully acknowledging that I don't know much about trademark/copyright law, can anyone speak to what the difference actually is? Do you need some sort of separate trademark/copyright to advertise (e.g., register something with the CRTC for TV ads during the World Cup)?

1 hour ago, Pat Carrasco said:

BREAKING: Also trademarked the league name in French, "Premier League Canadienne". On the one hand, very standard to trademark the French equivalent in Canada. On the other, timing of this, with coincidental timing about Quebec from Eric Bergeron, noting Quebec was "a formality", per a source.

Not even close to breaking. It was filed in September 2016 and approved May 17 of this year.

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

And Quebec rumour crushed 

There is no reason for a CPL bid to contact the regional soccer federation. Or even really say anything to the QSA. At least in the early negotiating stage. The important sanctioning factor is the CSA, who are behind it. I think the guy believes that if pro soccer were coming to QC, he'd know about it. When maybe he would not.

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

And Quebec rumour crushed 

English translation  :

Bergeron :

If you ever want to do some research to validate all that. It would be great to learn
 more and a major news for the Quebec City region

Duarte :

I do not know where this news comes from. I am the technical director of the regional 
association and we have never contacted our clubs to advise them that there would be a 
professional team in Quebec City in 2019
Edited by CDNFootballer

Website timer updated to July 12. Most likely Victoria based on Rob Friend’s comments.

So Hamilton has obviously insisted on being last, with good reason considering Bob Young’s role in the league’s development, I wonder if that means we get another announcement between Victoria and Hamilton, ie Ottawa. Seems very early if they are going to make the move.

7 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Website timer updated to July 12. Most likely Victoria based on Rob Friend’s comments.

So Hamilton has obviously insisted on being last, with good reason considering Bob Young’s role in the league’s development, I wonder if that means we get another announcement between Victoria and Hamilton, ie Ottawa. Seems very early if they are going to make the move.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't announce Hamilton with this group.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not meaning to imply that there's some sort of huge issue and the whole thing is going to come crashing down, but it's got to be hell for the Hamilton fans to be still waiting when everyone else is out there.

Especially when it would be a great opportunity to advertise the Hamilton team when you'll have 20,000 fans in their stadium tomorrow.

8 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Anyone else find it mildly ironic that the Founders are the last team to be announced. 

Nah.  Last club announcement gets the launch gala (for want of a better phrase).  Quite right that Young & Co. get the extended spot light if that's the case.

Feels like there will be expansion franchises announced even before the inaugural season kicks off but the serious launch begins with that final team announcement.  That'll be the big roll out.   

Is it irony that Hamilton may be last to officially launch, or by design, or by circumstance? It could be by design as Hamilton's been in the news since the beginning of this journey and there were some who posted on here that they were afraid a too strong Hamilton may have too much power within the league. Is this a way to showcase that it's not all about the Ambitious City? The circumstances angle could also be in effect due to the lawsuits over Tim Horton's Field. 

I do wholeheartedly agree that an announcement yesterday would have been awesome to bring into this weekend. It looks like a sell out crowd of 24,000 will be there. Oh well, I've never wanted a World Cup to go by as quickly as 2018's.

2 hours ago, gator said:

Here's the link for the new Soccer Show on TSN 1150 in Hamilton, lots of Canadian PL chat in the second part including an interview with Nick Bontis    https://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-1150/soccerfootiefootball-june-9th-1.1108101

Really enjoyed the show.  No real CPL news but a good general discussion of the league.  Also interview with Nick Bontis talking United bid, CPL, the game in Hamilton tomorrow.