CPL General

13 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Seems like York is around 142 now:

Not sure how much concern there should be but it is definitely an outlier compared to the others.

The one thing that York has going for it is that there will probably be decent away support to pad numbers for some games with Hamilton in the league and possibly Ottawa. If London and KW were to join that would help as well.

Not to mention I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of TFC season ticket holders in the area went to a bunch of games so long as the game dates don't clash with TFC

Full recaps in the Winnipeg thread but a couple of new things from a couple of radio hits of general CPL 

-Wade Miller said the soccer ops people were working on piggybacking road games as a way of keeping costs low

-Clanachan said 8 minimum at launch but would be  “announcing 2 or more than 2 expansion teams right away”

-DC also said that the board of governors realized the importance of local players and while he didn't have details there would be "aggressive" rules to keep some local.

Edited by Rheo

Does anybody want to take on a mini project? I’m curious what the league-wide memberships total is up to by now. Off the top of my head I think on the low end it’s at least 130+500+500+600. So at least 1730, probably actually over 1800? Anyone have the most recently tweeted numbers?

51 minutes ago, Kent said:

Does anybody want to take on a mini project? I’m curious what the league-wide memberships total is up to by now. Off the top of my head I think on the low end it’s at least 130+500+500+600. So at least 1730, probably actually over 1800? Anyone have the most recently tweeted numbers?

Latest numbers.

Calgary 553

Winnipeg 650

Halifax 590

York 142

= 1935

That’s only members who have Twitter.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Curious.  Out of seemingly nowhere but interesting given the St John's buzz out of nowhere this week as well.  However not getting excited until I see something from a known source

I seem to recall reading recently that there would be ten teams approved in 2018, but that only eight would play in 2019. Maybe QC and town will be provisionally awarded franchises and play in a 2020 expansion?

13 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I seem to recall reading recently that there would be ten teams approved in 2018, but that only eight would play in 2019. Maybe QC and town will be provisionally awarded franchises and play in a 2020 expansion?

IIRC didn't Beirne state that they were looking at ~12 teams in year two? If that's the case there are probably 3-4 teams that are somewhere in between year 1 and year 2 in terms of readiness and that is what we are seeing with these St. John's and Quebec City rumors.

16 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

My French isn’t as good as some around here, but from my understanding the tweet implies playing in 2019.

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

IIRC didn't Beirne state that they were looking at ~12 teams in year two? If that's the case there are probably 3-4 teams that are somewhere in between year 1 and year 2 in terms of readiness and that is what we are seeing with these St. John's and Quebec City rumors.

Clanachan said Wednesday 8 minimum for sure at launch and 2 expansion teams for 2020 most likely announced right away.  We practically know of 7 and the 8th is unknown (possibilities include Ottawa, St John's, Quebec, Fraser Valley)

4 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

My French isn’t as good as some around here, but from my understanding the tweet implies playing in 2019.

Twitter translated for me  but yeah he said 2019.  Not getting excited personally but find it interesting the uptick in rumours the last week of groups seemingly wanting in for launch

I realise that Voyageurs Forum hate this guy and I've been asked not to post his tweets....but CPL-Rumours is now involved in this rumour. He just realesed this info claiming that the team may play in Levis. Once again, take it for what it's worth. I'm not jumping in jubilation. Not yet.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

In fairness to whoever they are, they have been right a number of times. As far as I can see, they have yet to be wrong about anything (at least nothing that can be yet corroborated)

Hearing that Victoria is IN for 2019.

Calgary people pretty much spilling the beans today that they’ll be the second CPL club unveiled (May 17th) after York this Thursday

Without landing a stadium deal in Surrey or Langley, the owners of Port City are hoping to shift their franchise to Langford on Southern Vancouver Island. There won’t be a lower mainland team in the league for 2019

Edited by deschamp86

It appears that Eric Bergeron is being sincere with everyone. He does not like spreading false rumors, but he will confirm today with his source one more time. He's putting his reputation of his gaming firm at risk if he's spreads false rumors. He's a true professional.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

I don't follow it but I see it retweeted enough.  A lot of the "rumours" is stuff said around the net, or items anyone can speculate on and just put on a twitter account.  You throw enough out there you're bound to hit some things right  You can't say they haven't been wrong when some of the stuff they say hasn't been decided. 

-DAZN appears to be frontrunner of distribution

-Nick Dasovic turned down the York 9 job

-Hamilton won't be called Founders

-Paulus/Flemming front runners for FCE job

They might be connected.  I don't know.  I'm just skeptical is all I'm saying

Edited by Rheo

BREAKING: Also trademarked the league name in French, "Premier League Canadienne". On the one hand, very standard to trademark the French equivalent in Canada. On the other, timing of this, with coincidental timing about Quebec from Eric Bergeron, noting Quebec was "a formality", per a source.