CPL General

35 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Arsenal

18 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I wonder how many times we’re gonna have to explain that one to euro snobs. 

“What kind of name is Cavalry?” “Oh you mean like Arsenal?” “Uh..erm.. isn’t that a stop on the tube?” 

That name's 132 years old and wasn't an attempt by a marketing firm to appeal to the types of people who are on here so they'd think the CPL was no Mickey Mouse League.

Also Arsenal would be a shit name if introduced today and have the single worst badge in the EPL.

14 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I wonder how many times we’re gonna have to explain that one to euro snobs. 

“What kind of name is Cavalry?” “Oh you mean like Arsenal?” “Uh..erm.. isn’t that a stop on the tube?” 

I'm rapidly losing interest in explaining North american things to euro snobs.  As if the european leagues dont have or do strange things.  I'm almost hoping one of the team names is the Beavers/Moose and instead of shootouts we have a maple syrup chugging contest.  

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Ahhh, leave them alone.  They're having a bit of fun with it and good on them for it. I guess).

And to be fair its a tough business naming a franchise.  No one wants everybody to just be called FC this or FC that.  At least the names chosen (so far) can lead to proper nick-names evolving over time. 

And keeping in mind this whole CPL thing is really a sort of Mom & Pop co-op league I'd say they're already a generation ahead of what corporate MLS introduced to the footie landscape in this part of the world a generation ago.  Wizards! and MetroStars! and Galaxy!  I won't even mention Mutiny and Fusion.  OOOPS.  My bad.

I always thought it was funny when the Wiz played the Burn.  Ouch.

1 minute ago, PJSweet said:

Wow!!! No mention of Ottawa. Is this real?

Lots of debate on Twitter in the Ottawa supporters circle  that they aren't going for launch.  Others think they are.  Interesting to watch as an outsider

1473286829_ScreenShot2018-06-06at9_20_20

^^^Interesting where the Port City arrow points to on that graphic. Maybe Global News didn't get the memo about the stadium being in Langford rather than Surrey?

3 hours ago, Ivan said:

Disappointing that he said 6-8 teams at launch.  Til now, the line has always been 8-10.

Until the agreement to move the hydro pole gets sorted out in Victoria, which sounds like a major undertaking if the price tag is $4 million and I suspect may not happen this year, and the Ottawa Fury sign on the dotted line, given a "wait and see" posture is still said to be their position, I think that's just a case of being factual about things. I suspect there could be more conditional franchises announced before this thing launches and the difference in numbers we hear depending on who is doing the talking could be between how many will actually be kicking a ball in anger and how many will have been accepted into the league by then. On the bright side this whole saga that started way back on 15th November 2010 with the moratorium is actually finally reaching resolution now and they didn't drag it out until they had 7000 seats with expand-ability for each city as appeared to be the "entry point" when the K/W groups' situation was being discussed in the Kitchener Record.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

I found it interesting but he was back to 8 teams an hour later in the next interview.  Not something I'm going to lose sleep over at the moment

It's the ol' Under Promise, Over Deliver. If they keep touting 8 as the higher end, when they announce team 10, they'll look like allstars.

Just heard from one of the Southsiders that to remove and relocate the pole for Langford stadium in Victoria, BC Hydro quoted $3million. Can anybody confirm?? Must be more than just a power pole that needs to be reconnectedz. Sounds like its a transformer or something.

$4 million is the number I've seen:

https://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/4-million-cost-to-move-hydro-pole-holding-up-langford-stadium-expansion/

...In the past, temporary seating for sporting events has been added at the stadium, that accommodated up to 3,000 people, but with the potential for Langford to get involved with the professional soccer Canadian Premiere League, the stadium should be able to seat 8,000, he noted.

Young said the expansion of the stadium will happen, it’s just a matter of time.

The initial cost quoted by B.C. Hydro to have the hydro pole removed was $4 million, which was too much, Young said. Hydro has since donated geotechnical engineering services to survey the area...

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

$4 million is the number I've seen:

The initial cost quoted by B.C. Hydro to have the hydro pole removed was $4 million, which was too much, Young said. Hydro has since donated geotechnical engineering services to survey the area...

That leads me to conclude they've been able to reduce the 4 mil and 3 mil could be right about right. 

48 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Just heard from one of the Southsiders that to remove and relocate the pole for Langford stadium in Victoria, BC Hydro quoted $3million. Can anybody confirm?? Must be more than just a power pole that needs to be reconnectedz. Sounds like its a transformer or something.

I don't work in the hydro business, but I do work in engineering, and from the pictures i have seen, that looks like a pretty big job.  The 3-4 million number doesn't surprise me, for whatever my opinion is worth.

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Yeah, doubt its a simple as moving a single tower a few meters this way or that.

And Gawd help you if you need to take down some mature trees.  Look out!  Here comes 68 council meetings.

It runs below a road behind, there is no major vegetation. It is maybe 15 m west of the centre line. The electrical line itself is straight and there are poles on either side at maybe 250 m distance each way, one near a rec centre, the other near another field. 

As I see it, without being any sort of expert, if Hydro could move the pole 40 metres to the north west corner of the stadium, and then run the lines both directions as now, that would be the easiest. Without knowing the specifics of the line, and the type of pole, we could not say if that would break a standard or code or not (raising a distance from one pole to another by 40 metres, for example, or 50.

That stadium has had setups with temp seating on the side, with a break where the pole was, there does not seem to be any sort of fundamental safety problem with that don't think. There is very little space for seating on the endzones, in spite of what the render shows, unless they are going to cover up a pond there. The stadium already has lighting for night games or dark days.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Anybody know how to reach Paul Beirne directly?  

I have something for the league, but I want to make sure it doesn't get lost.  I tried that contact page on CanPL site, but despite leaving all my info there no one has contacted me.

Twitter is not option since I can't DM him.  Anybody or at least someone representing him here???