CPL General

11 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

Anybody know how to reach Paul Beirne directly?  

I have something for the league, but I want to make sure it doesn't get lost.  I tried that contact page on CanPL site, but despite leaving all my info there no one has contacted me.

Twitter is not option since I can't DM him.  Anybody or at least someone representing him here???

Is it edible?

2 hours ago, MrSabiondo said:

I have something for the league, but I want to make sure it doesn't get lost.  I tried that contact page on CanPL site, but despite leaving all my info there no one has contacted me.

Twitter is not option since I can't DM him.  Anybody or at least someone representing him here???

Tweet at him directly

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It runs below a road behind, there is no major vegetation. It is maybe 15 m west of the centre line. The electrical line itself is straight and there are poles on either side at maybe 250 m distance each way, one near a rec centre, the other near another field. 

As I see it, without being any sort of expert, if Hydro could move the pole 40 metres to the north west corner of the stadium, and then run the lines both directions as now, that would be the easiest. Without knowing the specifics of the line, and the type of pole, we could not say if that would break a standard or code or not (raising a distance from one pole to another by 40 metres, for example, or 50.

That stadium has had setups with temp seating on the side, with a break where the pole was, there does not seem to be any sort of fundamental safety problem with that don't think. There is very little space for seating on the endzones, in spite of what the render shows, unless they are going to cover up a pond there. The stadium already has lighting for night games or dark days.

I seem to remember an article referring to it as a Right-of-Way. That would indicate to me that the power company has not only overhead lines but lines buried along that stretch of land as well. A quick Google Map search shows that there is a transformer sitting in that area too.

Typically, a permanent structure cannot be built in a Right-of-Way and the owner has the right to go in and dig up any of the burried lines required to make repairs or upgrades as needed. The asphalt parking lot would not be considered a permanent structure, but I would suspect that any kind of bleachers would fall into the 'permanent' category.

They may be looking at moving all of their underground lines to accomodate the bleachers which would of course justify the rmoured price tag.

Of course this is just speculation on my part and I have no personal knowledge of the area, so please take the above with a grain of salt.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'm rapidly losing interest in explaining North american things to euro snobs.  As if the european leagues dont have or do strange things.  I'm almost hoping one of the team names is the Beavers/Moose and instead of shootouts we have a maple syrup chugging contest.  

It can be strange but in most cases, it is organic. The difference between North American pro leagues and the typical football league elsewhere is like the difference between highly processed food (frozen pizza) and lightly processed food (roasted nuts). Or white bread vs whole grain bread.

Processed food can be really tasty, easy to prepare and has a long shelf life. The marketing can be also catchy. But it can be over the top and over done with a new and improved flavour version every year.

Highly processed food has also too much salt, sugar and/or fat. Eventually, it can clog up your arteries, raise your blood pressure/cholesterol and make you overweight.

If you have eaten white bread all your life, you probably didn't like eating whole grain breads. But now you realize that white bread makers actually took out the good stuff (bran) out to gain a longer shelf life. And now, many can't stand to eat white bread and these white bread makers are in trouble.

So, yes, following the North American pro league model would have been the easy way for the CPL. But as seen with MLS 1.0, it isn't what people want.

Plus, if the CPL followed the highly processed MLS model, what makes the CPL different enough and how will the CPL gain the credibility of the core group of supporters who will eventually bring along the causal fans.

8 minutes ago, red card said:

It can be strange but in most cases, it is organic. The difference between North American pro leagues and the typical football league elsewhere is like the difference between highly processed food (frozen pizza) and lightly processed food (roasted nuts). Or white bread vs whole grain bread.

Processed food can be really tasty, easy to prepare and has a long shelf life. The marketing can be also catchy. But it can be over the top and over done with a new and improved flavour version every year.

Highly processed food has also too much salt, sugar and/or fat. Eventually, it can clog up your arteries, raise your blood pressure/cholesterol and make you overweight.

If you have eaten white bread all your life, you probably didn't like eating whole grain breads. But now you realize that white bread makers actually took out the good stuff (bran) out to gain a longer shelf life. And now, many can't stand to eat white bread and these white bread makers are in trouble.

So, yes, following the North American pro league model would have been the easy way for the CPL. But as seen with MLS 1.0, it isn't what people want.

Plus, if the CPL followed the highly processed MLS model, what makes the CPL different enough and how will the CPL gain the credibility of the core group of supporters who will eventually bring along the causal fans.

Are you talking about all North American leagues or just MLS cause this is kind of a mess of a post.

Like nothing about the NBA, NHL, MLB, CFL or NFL is any less "organic" than what the EPL, Serie A, Ligue 1, La Liga and Bundesliga do.

It's also unknown if fans want what is being pitched and it's already causing debate among the core fans.

Edited by matty

9 hours ago, Rheo said:

I don't think anyone should take a graphic made by a local news station as any serious indication of things changing in the CPL story.  It's probably made by an unpaid intern who isn't following the intricacies of the story.  Honest mistakes in the media have happened often before and will happen often after.

It wasn't the graphic that really alarmed me.  It was the very first line:  "The league has confirmed seven teams will begin play in April of next year."

Edited by SuperCanuck

On 3/29/2018 at 6:01 PM, MrSabiondo said:

How many would be shocked if the delays and withholding of information til last minute is a ploy to soften the blow that at least 2 of the teams involved are MLS Canadian B Teams.

BTW, welcome back. It’s been great going back and reading some of your freezing cold takes. 

9 hours ago, MrSabiondo said:

His username on here somewhat ironically at this point is mlsintoronto.

8 hours ago, MrSabiondo said:

That's too public.  Trying to keep this under wraps.  I'm not one for the media.

Try reaching out on LinkedIn? Professional network, and he seems to be somewhat open and willing to connect with people. Make the connection and you can send InMail.

Edited by Copes

As of last week several people have been casting doubts on York 9 FC. Well, I got news for all of yous, they went from 125 memberships to over 1,000 in a week.... Don't cast doubts on this club again. They know what they're doing. They have now taken the lead. Congratulations to the organization. They're seriously working hard behind the scene.

Edited by PJSweet

6 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

As of last week several people have been casting doubts on York 9 FC. Well, I got news for all of yous, they went from 125 memberships to over 1,000 in a week.... Don't cast doubts on this club again. They know what they're doing. They have now taken the lead. Congratulations to the organization. They're seriously working hard behind the scene.

Pretty sure that was a joke. 1337 doesn't seem suspicious?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

On twitter he stated he just wanted to show that these messages about which member # people are (and therefore the # of memberships sold) "don't necessarily mean anything." I think it's only his that doesn't mean anything.

22 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Someone will have to explain it to me as I don't get it. I read the Wikipedia entry but no idea what leet has to do with York or why it is funny. 

Not really much to get. It's not funny

Edited by deschamp86