CPL General

For those connected with #YEG4CPL was there indication this was coming? The teaser surely means an official announcement is imminent. With the official announcements we've seen complete brand launches as well so I'm curious if Roy, Peter and the marketing team were in Edmonton to work on a new crest, identity, promo vid, etc... Or if that kind of stuff will be left to the club? Or will it stay the same?

1 minute ago, BuzzAndSting said:

For those connected with #YEG4CPL was there indication this was coming? The teaser surely means an official announcement is imminent. With the official announcements we've seen complete brand launches as well so I'm curious if Roy, Peter and the marketing team were in Edmonton to work on a new crest, identity, promo vid, etc... Or if that kind of stuff will be left to the club? Or will it stay the same?

Roy, Peter, and the rest of the crew were here in January, doing their thing. We're expecting a whole new badge, not sure if that means the name is changing tho. We knew of this announcement for about a week now. 

1 minute ago, ThatDaveCh said:

Roy, Peter, and the rest of the crew were here in January, doing their thing. We're expecting a whole new badge, not sure if that means the name is changing tho. We knew of this announcement for about a week now. 

Awesome! Well congratulations on all the hard work paying off! Want to let us know when the official announcement is?!

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Looking back I should of suspected something was up when Loyal River didn't have a pod up today but I saw them pass it off in a tweet lol.

22 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So if it is common to have playoffs (I was waiting for you to acknowledge that) then playoffs could also be a "common and easily marketable feature of soccer."  

Not what I said. Exceptions are the opposite of common. 

One of the first rules of marketing is to highlight what makes your product different and unique. There is no point marketing based on, "look we have playoffs too!" because in North America that is a default. There is more value in things that make the CanPL different than things that make it like any other NA sport. 

23 minutes ago, PJSweet said:

Anyone knows when is the Edmonton announcement. According to a recent tweet from CPL-Rumors, it could be this week probably Friday. Can we have a confirmation?

I'm just waiting for the next countdown after Winnipeg's runs out. As BBTB pointed out, these city approved videos usually come like 2 days before the official announcement.

So they don't actually have the stadium situation resolved in Edmonton?  Seems like the league is pushing through some teams and hoping the stadium issues (Edmonton, Victoria) sort themselves out.  I think people should start to brace themselves for stadiums with a lower capacity than originally intended, as a concession by the league to get things up and running.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

So they don't actually have the stadium situation resolved in Edmonton?  Seems like the league is pushing through some teams and hoping the stadium issues (Edmonton, Victoria) sort themselves out.  I think people should start to brace themselves for stadiums with a lower capacity than originally intended, as a concession by the league to get things up and running.

Or they could have the stadium situation resolved in Edmonton and they haven't told us about it yet.

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

...I think people should start to brace themselves for stadiums with a lower capacity than originally intended, as a concession by the league to get things up and running.

Will resist the temptation of posting an old Mad TV clip, but it is definitely starting to look like they have lowered their expectations on attendance levels a bit given Calgary and Victoria are both talking about having 5000 seats initially and barring the wheels of bureaucracy moving unusually quickly and the Eskimos being completely ignored where Clarke Stadium is concerned that will also be the case with Edmonton as well. Hope so anyway, as budgets aligned with that would minimize the risk of there being scarily huge gaps between revenues and expenses in most cities in a San Francisco Deltas sort of way. Limiting stadium capacity and having a perception of possible future ticket scarcity is also a good way to drive interest in membership sales to be in early on season tickets.

48 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Or they could have the stadium situation resolved in Edmonton and they haven't told us about it yet.

Sure.  But I could also see it being a case of "Let's leave Clarke as is for now".  Don't worry about increasing the seating capacity, work on improving a few other items and giving the team a better schedule to work with, and if it's working out THEN look to increase capacity.

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Will resist the temptation of posting an old Mad TV clip, but it is definitely starting to look like they have lowered their expectations on attendance levels a bit given Calgary and Victoria are both talking about having 5000 seats initially and barring the wheels of bureaucracy moving unusually quickly and the Eskimos being completely ignored where Clarke Stadium is concerned that will also be the case with Edmonton as well. Hope so anyway, as budgets aligned with that would minimize the risk of there being scarily huge gaps between revenues and expenses in most cities in a San Francisco Deltas sort of way. Limiting stadium capacity and having a perception of possible future ticket scarcity is also a good way to drive interest in membership sales to be in early on season tickets.

Isn't York also going to be a lower capacity to start with?

21 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Will resist the temptation of posting an old Mad TV clip, but it is definitely starting to look like they have lowered their expectations on attendance levels a bit given Calgary and Victoria are both talking about having 5000 seats initially ...

All the reports I have seen say the expansion of the stadium in Victoria will mean 8,000 seats. Where do you get this 5,000 number?

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Isn't York also going to be a lower capacity to start with?

same story as above:

Calgary has announced its team will play in conjunction with Spruce Meadows at a 5,000 to 7,000 seat stadium at the famed horse-jumping ground. The Halifax franchise is scheduled to play at the 7,000-seat Wanderers Ground and an Ontario team in the York Region out of 3,000-seat York Lions Stadium.

but maybe they will put in some extra seating?

Here's another one:

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/langford-and-new-pro-soccer-team-plan-happy-marriage-1.23322900

Young said the conditional issues will be dealt with at Westhills Stadium. There is a meeting June 13 between B.C. Hydro, Langford and the province to address a contentious power pole that has so far restricted the building of a second grandstand at Westhills Stadium that would allow for the immediate minimum needed attendance of 5,000.