CPL General

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/deal-close-for-bringing-pro-soccer-team-to-greater-victoria-would-play-at-westhills-1.23305274

Young said he envisions a capacity of 5,000, if pro soccer were to come to Langford, with the ability to go to 8,000 in the years ahead, if needed.

Right, so the goal is 8,000. Did you think these teams were gonna draw 7,000-8,000 in year one?!?

4 hours ago, matty said:

So Valour, 9, Cavalry, Port City...who has the lamest name so far? lol

Ahhh, leave them alone.  They're having a bit of fun with it and good on them for it. I guess).

And to be fair its a tough business naming a franchise.  No one wants everybody to just be called FC this or FC that.  At least the names chosen (so far) can lead to proper nick-names evolving over time. 

And keeping in mind this whole CPL thing is really a sort of Mom & Pop co-op league I'd say they're already a generation ahead of what corporate MLS introduced to the footie landscape in this part of the world a generation ago.  Wizards! and MetroStars! and Galaxy!  I won't even mention Mutiny and Fusion.  OOOPS.  My bad.

10 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Ahhh, leave them alone.  They're having a bit of fun with it and good on them for it. I guess).

And to be fair its a tough business naming a franchise.  No one wants everybody to just be called FC this or FC that.  At least the names chosen (so far) can lead to proper nick-names evolving over time. 

And keeping in mind this whole CPL thing is really a sort of Mom & Pop co-op league I'd say they're already a generation ahead of what corporate MLS introduced to the footie landscape in this part of the world a generation ago.  Wizards! and MetroStars! and Galaxy!  I won't even mention Mutiny and Fusion.  OOOPS.  My bad.

I was about to let everything slide but then you picked on Galaxy and if there's one name that proves the general North American style of sport name can work in soccer it's the LA Galaxy whose name somehow fucking works. Could have picked Burn or Revolution or tasteless Fire but instead you went for one of the 2 hits they had (the other being Rapids). Boo.

Edited by matty

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Mom and Pop co-op league? Am I way off in thinking that there are some very serious and wealthy investors putting up big bucks for this league and each of these clubs? That term seems a bit impertinent.

26 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Mom and Pop co-op league? Am I way off in thinking that there are some very serious and wealthy investors putting up big bucks for this league and each of these clubs? That term seems a bit impertinent.

There definitely is some major money people involved with this, definitely not mom and pop.

2 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Disappointing that he said 6-8 teams at launch.  Til now, the line has always been 8-10.

Last week Scott Mitchell said 8-9.  Yeah I find it interesting for sure.  Can't wait for the I told you so posts coming any minute now lol

TSN 1290 PB-missed the start

-Now said starting with 8 teams again (twice)

-16 team goal, be viable in 300k cities, then div 2

-talked up relationships with provincial groups and local clubs and associations

-talked about travel issues, factoring it into everything, like losing training days and costs

Edited by Rheo