CPL General

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, masster said:

A different video with a few other interesting clips Noonan:

So they want Kelowna for 2026. And to double the teams in the league in ten years. Friend says they have creative ideas for the stadium. And Noonan mentioned definitely they will be testing markets with this series. I wish they gave more advance notice if this is indeed a test of Kelowna's viability as a market.

Edited by nolando

On 4/12/2024 at 8:24 PM, BearcatSA said:

2026 would be a logical expansion time tying in with the World Cup in Canada.

2 hours ago, nolando said:

So they want Kelowna for 2026. And to double the teams in the league in ten years. Friend says they have creative ideas for the stadium. And Noonan mentioned definitely they will be testing markets with this series. I wish they gave more advance notice if this is indeed a test of Kelowna's viability as a market.

I also posted in one of these threads that Kelowna would need a lot of runway to get their ducks in a row, so to speak, so I think that is smart of the league to launch in 2026.  They need to get this particular expansion right.

17 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Maybe if they had this planned out much further in advance with feedback from area stakeholders involved (like regional youth soccer associations) and specifically wanted Cavalry to be the opponent for VFC, they could have had that particular match set for early July?

https://www.pentictonherald.ca/sports/article_37b18624-0f03-11ef-b725-8f7d02e3d2ea.html

Screenshot_20240511_005742_Chrome.jpg.c5a3f80530607cb7f3b282851763de46.jpg

6 hours ago, nolando said:

True story:  in the first Pacific FC season, my wife and I dropped by their downtown retail store and both Friend and Simpson were there and I was able to strike up a conversation with them.  I told them I was from the Okanagan and then Friend even spoke of playing a match in Kelowna and actually asked what I thought about it.  I told him the same things I have said here in this forum.

Playing a game here (then elsewhere) is the right move but I question the spur-of-the-moment nature of the planning involved.  It seems like it was the league's Plan B or C because Plan A (whatever that might have been) got stalled, so they needed to generate some buzz for new ownership investment.

If Canada's men's basketball team potentially takes the gold in Paris this summer, I wonder if that significant "bump" will also prompt the CEBL to look to expansion into the city?  Unlike soccer, they already have a quality downtown facility in Prospera Place available.

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

It seems like it was the league's Plan B or C because Plan A (whatever that might have been) got stalled, so they needed to generate some buzz for new ownership investment.

I suspect their highest preference would have been a Plan Q.

18 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Playing a game here (then elsewhere) is the right move but I question the spur-of-the-moment nature of the planning involved.  It seems like it was the league's Plan B or C because Plan A (whatever that might have been) got stalled, so they needed to generate some buzz for new ownership investment.

This is kind of my feeling too.

Expansion isn't happening as fast as they hoped. So we get this instead.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is kind of my feeling too.

Expansion isn't happening as fast as they hoped. So we get this instead.

You need a splash, just like the Browns owner tells Costner's Sonny Weaver Jr in the movie Draft Day.

You need to generate relevance and buzz.  I personally like this move by the league, just not how it seems to have evolved.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

...Playing a game here (then elsewhere) is the right move but I question the spur-of-the-moment nature of the planning involved.  It seems like it was the league's Plan B or C because Plan A (whatever that might have been) got stalled, so they needed to generate some buzz for new ownership investment...

Given they have already been selling tickets for this game in a Langley context, the timeline on this looks very odd indeed and almost spur of the moment. The positive possibility would be that a new would be investor came out the woodwork suddenly and the league felt a need to do this at short notice to strike while the iron is hot on that. On the flip side, the negative possibility would be that something happened around the start of the season that made it clear that one of either the Valour or Pacific could be a goner at the end of this season so there was a pressing need to find an alternative team location in the west ASAP in case that eventuates.

Weird coincidence in the schedule. I just noticed that this weekend the games are 1 vs 2 (Pacific vs Ottawa), 3 vs 4 (Forge vs Vancouver), 5 vs 6 (York vs Cavalry), and 7 vs 8 (Wanderers vs Valour). The games are even being played in that order chronologically. Higher seed is hosting the lower seed with only one exception. York is 5th in the table but Cavalry at 6th is hosting them. However, if goal difference was the first tie breaker instead of number of wins, Cavalry would be 5th in the table and York in 6th so in that case all 4 matches would be the higher ranked team hosting the lower ranked team. 

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

Weird coincidence in the schedule. I just noticed that this weekend the games are 1 vs 2 (Pacific vs Ottawa), 3 vs 4 (Forge vs Vancouver), 5 vs 6 (York vs Cavalry), and 7 vs 8 (Wanderers vs Valour). The games are even being played in that order chronologically. Higher seed is hosting the lower seed with only one exception. York is 5th in the table but Cavalry at 6th is hosting them. However, if goal difference was the first tie breaker instead of number of wins, Cavalry would be 5th in the table and York in 6th so in that case all 4 matches would be the higher ranked team hosting the lower ranked team. 

So basically we can just wrap up the season at this point.  It's all settled.

33 minutes ago, Kent said:

id5486419-a-beautiful-mind_5e7821-600x911.thumb.webp.6b265503b161f990b092ebf409055bbe.webp

On 5/21/2024 at 10:48 AM, jonovision said:

Clearly you need to switch allegiance to Valour...

If you're looking at developing your bad habits might just as well add extinguishing cigarettes on your forearm to the list.

17 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Nice to see a Canadian Premier League club defeat the MLS's Whitecaps last night.

Too bad the away goals rule was in effect for the two legs though.

Also it looks like Forge's home game will be the highest attendance of the quarters

1 hour ago, red card said:

PP would have led to 3 teams in Quebec by now.

Don't you see, that's why he supported the convoy! He knew the CPL needed the attendance. How blind was I to believe that dumb stuff like making sure people who were more vulnerable to covid don't catch it and die from it was the most importance issue at hand when it came to restrictions! 

More seriously, if you look at the Tories and the Liberals bases on a cultural level I'd argue the later are way more likely to be into Soccer then the former as a whole, so a change in party in government would either have no impact or be actively detrimental to Canadian soccer.

Edited by phil03