Zorhan Bassong

jordan

Did not have a good game vs. Cruz Azul. Antuna repeatedly beat him, and he seemed to be having difficulty figuring out where to position himself. Hard to tell what's going on in that regard when you're watching on tv as you only get brief snippets of each player, but it was not a good outing for him.

The goal was his fault, due to bad positioning.
I can't lie, I haven' t been overly impressed with his game, as I don't know what he does best.

Last night looked like the U23 all over again playing a hybrid position. 

I don't think I rate him. He seems to have no tactical awareness in his game. I think Herdman and Biello got blinded by his European resume but outside that one game he came on as a sub for Montreal and got a nice assist he's very underwhelming otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

The goal was his fault, due to bad positioning.
I can't lie, I haven' t been overly impressed with his game, as I don't know what he does best.

Last night looked like the U23 all over again playing a hybrid position. 

The goal was a particularly bad moment. Had no reason to come over, Waterman already was covering the player, then totally botched the header, deflecting it off his back, and put Antuna in on goal, leaving Waterman out to dry. Terrible decision making.

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The goal was a particularly bad moment. Had no reason to come over, Waterman already was covering the player, then totally botched the header, deflecting it off his back, and put Antuna in on goal, leaving Waterman out to dry. Terrible decision making.

I've never been big on Bassong but I think his nerves got to him last night. He's only 22 and he was playing in one of the major cathedrals in international soccer.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

I've never been big on Bassong but I think his nerves got to him last night. He's only 22 and he was playing in one of the major cathedrals in international soccer.

I was watching the game half heartedly last night, so I won't dispute that Bassong was at fault for the goal and never played well, but I will point out that Antuna is a very good player. There's a reason why he's amassed 8 goals in 28 caps for El Tri. He's really now just beginning to enter his prime as a 24 year old goal scoring winger, meanwhile Bassong is still far from that. He's very much still finding his feet as a professional, has never been known for strong defensively out wide, nor is he a regular call up with his national side (just 2 Canada caps to date).

In short, this was always going to be a tough match up for Bassong. The fact Antuna gave him fits is disappointing, but not surprising. It doesn't really change my perception of him or raise concern. If this were Johnston, who is a locked in starter for Canada, I would be more critical of the performance and concerned about it. 

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I forgot how young he is. Shame he has become a jack of all, master of none utility players. Looked like he had real upside and maybe he still does. As mentioned he has been very inconsistent, as has his game time and position. 

• 8 months later...

I'm not sure Bassong will be a huge addition but news is breaking that Criscito is leaving TFC.  With Petrasso gone, they're gonna need a couple additions.  Like I said, I'm not sure Bassong fills that void.  Gotta think TFC is thinking much bigger than Bassong especially with how well Criscito played there.  One of the few bright spots I thought on an otherwise painful season.

Edited by Corazon

At 23, and having failed to establish himself at MLS level, he's at a critical age, he could either make a decent career of it at a lower level or be out of football by his 25th birthday. Got to think his priority must be to find a club and a level of play where he can be a regular every week starter, and if I were him, also where he can maximize his earning potential. I think that probably means back to Europe for him. Perhaps 3rd div France, 2nd div Belgium leagues might be a good fit. Not high-pace but still fairly technical leagues,  where he could possibly adjust fairly easily in terms of language and culture.

On 11/15/2022 at 12:24 PM, PastPros said:

"Flame out" seems a bit harsh.

Don't the vast majority of young professional footballers find themselves in the same situation? It's more the norm, no?

Sure, but the vast majority of young professional footballers don't get capped by national teams. I read Vince's comment as a reminder to not freak out over someone just because they have another nationality or play at some lauded academy. Don't be screaming CAP TIE for players that we don't even know if they will make it as a pro, let alone be national team level.

Hopefully we are growing out of that mindset sooner rather than later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...