Zorhan Bassong

jordan

3 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

I don't understand how some of these players live here until their early teens and feel no attachment to Canada.  

He probably does. But it's no personal it's business. playing for  Belgium would give him a bigger profile,   He would play more games and against world class competition,  better chance in playing in big tournaments. Qualify for the World Cup almost every time. Also Canada has a stigma in world football. Also because he's now a Belgium citizen he can play in any league in Europe without  restrictions. Also if he plays well for Belgium he could get a big pay day by a club. 

Your young teams system needs to change and be bettter or we gonna keep losing good players.

I don't blame the kid. 

11 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Also because he's now a Belgium citizen he can play in any league in Europe without  restrictions.

He can play for Canada and still carry a Belgian passport, it's not contingent on him repping Belgium.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Most def. Their other LB is on loan from Monaco, so he should have a chance to win the spot.

Real question is will we see him in camp next month?

I would hope so, although I read back through the thread and saw he played for Belgium U19.

Would he have to file a one-time switch now to play with us? If so, I would that would dampen my optimism for us cap-tying him next month. Seems unlikely that he'd commit now considering this move to the Belgian top flight - I would obviously love to be wrong though.

23 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would hope so, although I read back through the thread and saw he played for Belgium U19.

Would he have to file a one-time switch now to play with us? If so, I would that would dampen my optimism for us cap-tying him next month. Seems unlikely that he'd commit now considering this move to the Belgian top flight - I would obviously love to be wrong though.

I believe since it was an unofficial U19 match and the fact the he was born in Toronto he will not have to. I also believe next month is a U23 camp...so he cant be cap tied there as well.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

2 hours ago, JuicyHam said:

If Herdman can win this dude over I will have no doubt about his charisma and certainly whatever hope and aspirations he is selling is working because Bassong seems pretty dead set on Belgium at this point 

Tough task to make the #1 ranked team in the world right now....and we have the 2026 carrot.

• 5 months later...

The tihng is that he hasn't played against pros regularly. This season will be his first. The club has given him the #7 shirt, so I assume that he's going to get some playing time. Then again, I look at where ZBG was when he was getting his first call-ups for us and he's at a higher level than him. The question is whether he wants to sacrifice Belgium  this early in his career. 

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

BF961A5B-B668-4532-9444-557767A968C9.jpeg

Maybe these last few friendlies.... but was a center back for Lille 2. Went back through some Lille reports he played center back from the start and left back off the bench. Brugge he’s been left back so far this pre season