Zorhan Bassong

jordan

When people talk about Bassong playing for Belgium, they need to calm down. It was a friendly tournamnent.
He played in a friendly tournament for Canada too. It was likely good exposure.

Despite the huge sacrifices made by his family...
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1053519/soccer-zorhan-bassong-longueuil-lille-desert-fifa
... almost 2 ½ years later, I'm not sure he is better than a CanPL level player.

He is a '99 so still eligible for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_qualification_Group_9
but not playing at anywhere near the level needed to make that team.
http://www.rbfa.be/fr/equipes-nationales/espoirs/selection-de-lequipe-nationale-des-espoirs
The current starting left back in this team is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thibault_De_Smet
http://www.transfermarkt.us/thibault-de-smet/profil/spieler/340177

____

His club, Cercle Brugge, were bad last year but are now even worse.
-They are last in the league
-In September they got knocked out of the Belgian Cup by 4th tier R.U.S. Rebecquoise

Despite how bad Cercle Brugge are, Bassong has ZERO minutes so far:
http://www.sport.be/fr/jupilerproleague/player.html?player=784790&team=2641&season=54539

Recently he has been on the bench but before that it seems he was not even making the bench!
I mean, if you can't even get a few sub minutes for the worst team in the league...

____

I have doubts that he is good enough to play U23 for Canada; he is certainly very far from the #CanMNT. 

For left-back depth at U23 level, he is behind Miller, Gutiérrez (if he files is switch), Langwa & Abzi.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

No one has mentioned him in months.....

I am not saying he should be called up, and he may not even be interested, But since you focus on his playing time, he does have quite a few minutes for the U21’s and was out injured for a 3 week period. He is not involved with the U21 team when he’s with the first team....just about all this month. A 20 year old on the fringes of the first team, and out of all the players you say are ahead of him he is the only one playing right now.

Certainly, I am aware that Herdman has him in mind as one of his potential targets for the national team!!!!.... He mentioned it on an interview in Sportsnet last year, shortly after the men's Fifa WC!!!!..... He did not specifically named him, but he was talking about some of the young players and the environments they were in and mentioned the club system he was involved in at the time (Lille) along with Olympic Lyonnais & Auxerre!!!!.... Good to see that he is finally making the 18 for his club, albeit not playing yet for the senior squad!!!!

Where were you able to find that he has been getting significant playing time with the u-21s Jordan?

When, I last googled up his name and looked him up in both transfermarkt & soccerway, that information was not readily available ,it displayed as though he was not playing at all whatsoever!

I did figure he had an injury, though!

For those hesitating if he will opt for the CANMNT (once he earns it), He does have the Canada flag listed in his Insta profile and first on the list :

Zorhan Bassong

▪️Joueur professionnel du Cercle Brugge #29
▪️@nikefootball athlete 📍🇨🇦🇧🇪

Again, take it with a grain of salt and this is irrelevant, but just thought I would share!... Plus he was really into the whole Raptors' championship run and saw he posted a couple of stories wearing Raptor-related gear!

I think the best suited guys at this time we should pursue are him & Kadioglu, not to mention they seemed to be on top of the list from Herdman's radar!

Getting him started in the Olympic team should be a good start to involve him again with our national team set-up!!!... Worth monitoring his progress nevertheless!

8 minutes ago, CANMNT_SUPERFAN said:

I think the best suited guys at this time we should pursue are him & Kadioglu, not to mention they seemed to be on top of the list from Herdman's radar!

I still think Yankov is a way more realistic possibility than Kadioglu. Bulgaria are really poor and Canada is guaranteed a world cup appearance (at least, we should be). Canada should be more appealing.

Edited by Colliedor

23 hours ago, jordan said:

he does have quite a few minutes for the U21’s and was out injured for a 3 week period.

I did not know he was playing for the U21 team. In terms of the level of play, how does a U21 team in Belgium compare to playing in CPL though?

@Colliedor , your point stands. However you do have to take some risks when you are at the bottom of the table or you will likely stay there!

On 10/4/2017 at 8:21 PM, SpecialK said:

It makes me happy that a Canadian kid is turning heads in Europe, but it pisses me off at the same time because it shows a lot about the failures of Canadian soccer/CSA and it seems we have lost once again another young talented player to a European power house.

#freezingcoldtakes

On 12/28/2019 at 10:42 PM, CANMNT_SUPERFAN said:

Certainly, I am aware that Herdman has him in mind as one of his potential targets for the national team!!!!.... He mentioned it on an interview in Sportsnet last year, shortly after the men's Fifa WC!!!!..... He did not specifically named him, but he was talking about some of the young players and the environments they were in and mentioned the club system he was involved in at the time (Lille) along with Olympic Lyonnais & Auxerre!!!!.... Good to see that he is finally making the 18 for his club, albeit not playing yet for the senior squad!!!!

Where were you able to find that he has been getting significant playing time with the u-21s Jordan?

I went through every match report I could, available on the official site. It took an hour or so. 

Kadioglu is only realistic if Holland pass on him and then Turkey pass. Hopefully it isnt drawn out ala tomori/hoilett/cistante etc. 

At the point of both the Dutch and Turkey passing on him is possible he wont just walk into our team anyway. At least it's an area of the pitch we have players currently and in the pipeline.

He is certainly the biggest dual national catch out there if we could somehow persuade him. Playing at a good level.

Edited by toontownman

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The writing was on the wall when he was allowed to go play with Canada in January. That's a telltale sign the club has no plans for him. 

I wonder what happened. He didn't even make one appearance for the team and they aren't anything special in the First Division.

Edited by VinceA

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

The writing was on the wall when he was allowed to go play with Canada in January. That's a telltale sign the club has no plans for him. 

I wonder what happened. He didn't even make one appearance for the team and they aren't anything special in the First Division.

The club played poorly, but I am not sure it is a weak side. If I recall correctly they have some internationals there, not sure if any were playing fullback however.

Edit: they have 3 fringe internationals who rep Congo, Japan and Bosnia, but none of them play fullback. I do see however they picked up a 26 year old left back from K.V. Mechelen who also previously played with Antwerp and Lokeren, so looks like Cercle Brugges wanted a more proven option, and with their finish last year it is hard to blame them.

Edited by Obinna