Zorhan Bassong

jordan

12 minutes ago, Big_M said:

they are fighting for survival and making huge changes..just this month brought six new foreigners including bassong and got rid of two..will have to get up to speed and perform real fast otherwise he could be gone in a few months

Isn’t this basically what happened to Easton Ongaro?

20 hours ago, Big_M said:

^ yup thats how it goes in a lot of countries..get it done or get out..thats one downside of cpl unfortunately..it doesnt prepare players for that..if you are dead last its still all good

I would look at it the other way around- I think a league like the CPL is a lot more professional than a lot of those types of European leagues. If Romanian teams are acquiring and dropping players like flies the second they can't cut it, my guess is that their scouting departments are very barebones, and they're just throwing paint at the wall and seeing what sticks.

At least with the CPL you know you'll get paid on time, you aren't going to be out of a job in a foreign country in a month's time, etc. Not sure if it was Ongaro or another of our players who mentioned on a podcast last year that they basically stopped getting paid at some point.

Edited by InglewoodJack

basis is that players in the very large majority of cases get paid..otherwise its grounds for complaint to fifa and possible point deduction and transfer ban..see perspolis of iran for example..so usually when the player leaves before the end of contract its either by mutual termination or he gets paid..dont make the mistake of thinking those leagues are less professional..the treatment, care of players after injury, nutrition...is much higher

but that was not the original point, it was that cpl is low pressure for the players when you compare it to leagues with relegation so it doesnt prepare them it in that sense..still, the fact that we have a league which better allows players to make that jump is a great thing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
12 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That’s crazy. Puts him in MNT contention if he becomes a regular. 

Romania league is only ranked 26th in the UEFA coefficient rankings now.

15 years ago they managed to make the top 10 for a few years (thanks mostly to a couple of good UEFA Cup runs from Cluj).

So not really sure Herdman would rate this league. Although to be fair Poland is only 2 spots up and we called Zator 

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

15 years ago they managed to make the top 10 for a few years (thanks mostly to a couple of good UEFA Cup runs from Cluj).

So not really sure Herdman would rate this league. Although to be fair Poland is only 2 spots up and we called Zator 

He was in the same league last year but what has changed is the continental and competitive aspect. Fighting for titles and against bigger clubs is what makes this attractive for us. 

You have to think this is at least a higher level than Zator if he can play in European competition. 

12 hours ago, narduch said:

They play Sheriff Tiraspol in the Champions League 1st Qualifying Round. 

1st leg July 12

If they do manage to advance they will face either Hamrun Spartans of Malta or Maccabi Haifa of Israel in the 2nd Qualifying round.

Will be tough though as Sheriff were in the Group Stage a few years ago where they famously upset Real Madrid

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He was in the same league last year but what has changed is the continental and competitive aspect. Fighting for titles and against bigger clubs is what makes this attractive for us. 

You have to think this is at least a higher level than Zator if he can play in European competition. 

Good point.

The only problem for him is that he's a LB.

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

His club is owned and managed by Romanian legend Gheorghe Hagi

I see the club president is Popescu, both of them played for Barça. Popescu was a great player, Hagi more a flashy guy, both strong characters. 

I see that they are very close to Moldavia, it almost seems some of those draws were meant to reduce travel for the teams.

This does not put him near NT contention- remember that this is a player who couldn’t crack Montreal’s roster, hence why he’s in Romania. I don’t know that he’s at a much higher level than Richie Ennin right now for example. Romania seems like it’s in the same tier as countries like Hungary and to a lesser extent Greece who have a rich soccer tradition but aren’t exactly at their peak right now. It’s a good move though, I remember when Ongaro was in Romania there was talk of how difficult it is for foreigners to stick in that league and many get randomly dropped never to be heard from again, so moving up to a bigger team is a good sign.

Cool that they’re playing Sheriff though. Such a strange team. They’ve won 21 Moldovan league titles since 2000, yet they play in Transnistria, an unrecognized breakaway state that has never to my knowledge been controlled by Moldova and is best known for having done a pretty good job at preserving the last remnants of the Soviet Union. Their league is ranked 33rd in the world, just above Kosovo and Lichtenstein, yet two years ago they beat Madrid at Bernabeu. They’ve also played 90 champions league games which must put them towards the top of the list in terms of appearances.

I think fullback will be the hardest position to break into the NT, so this doesn't change much although I hope he can earn starting minutes in Romania.

ZBG still hasn't been getting calls, Farsi is obviously weighing options, Pasher has spent a lot of time in wingback positions, Abzi isn't getting called with starts in Ligue 2, Raheem Edwards got his cup of tea, JMR has of course spent time on the outside, Petrasso, Franklin, etc. the list goes on. And that's all in addition to Richie, Allistair, Phonzie, Sam who are getting called every window.

On 6/23/2023 at 7:46 AM, narduch said:

CFR Cluj did really well even in Champions League those days, beating Man Utd at Old Trafford + Roma, drawing Chelsea, and picking up 10 points one season, along with FCSB (formerly Steaua), and a couple others like Astra and Unirea Urziceni popped up and did well in Europe too. Those days were great for Romanian football but sadly no comparison now..

Last few years have been dreadful in Europe, apart from CFR Cluj in some moments, who’ve also not been on their former level

That said, this season and last, the league looks a bit stronger with some traditional teams returning and decent transfers, the bigger clubs doing things properly but still a long ways to go to being top 10-15 again (probably won’t happen, top 20 is achievable though)

Also a little tidbit, the ex-European cup semi-finalists, 2nd most successful & supported club in the country, Dinamo Bucharest returned to the top flight this season with a really good project - a coach that spent time in other countries and with western mentality, something we need, and a good scouting team. They’re doing things properly, so 🤞

Back to Farul - the thing with them this season is that I’m not sure if they’ll make it as far as CFR would have in CL qualifiers.. they have almost no coefficient so will be unseeded every time. And a LOT depends on if they keep some of the key younger players like Grameni, Borza, Mazilu. It seems like Bassong will take 17yo Borza’s place, though, so that’s good

They also brought ex Famalicao and Portugal U21 defender Diogo Queiros, and decent Belgian AM in Amine Benchaib, doesn’t seem the hardest worker though

It’ll be an interesting season, would be fantastic to see Bassong playing in European groups under Hagi’s leadership

Edited by Filip

On 6/23/2023 at 9:32 AM, Pottsy3 said:

I think fullback will be the hardest position to break into the NT, so this doesn't change much although I hope he can earn starting minutes in Romania.

ZBG still hasn't been getting calls, Farsi is obviously weighing options, Pasher has spent a lot of time in wingback positions, Abzi isn't getting called with starts in Ligue 2, Raheem Edwards got his cup of tea, JMR has of course spent time on the outside, Petrasso, Franklin, etc. the list goes on. And that's all in addition to Richie, Allistair, Phonzie, Sam who are getting called every window.

Their 17yo left back Andrei Borza has been reportedly monitored by Fulham and PSV, I think he will move this summer and Bassong is there to replace him as starter. Probably Kiki and Kevin Boli (mainly CB) will be his backups