Zorhan Bassong

jordan

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Good for him but what an incredibly deep and talented national team he would have to break into. I see this as just giving him more experience and exposure before he eventually joins our senior team. 

Exactly.. Belgium is far too deep for us to be worrying about a player playing 4th division France.  Actually really surprised he got a call, this must be a sort of identity camp. 

49 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Exactly.. Belgium is far too deep for us to be worrying about a player playing 4th division France.  Actually really surprised he got a call, this must be a sort of identity camp. 

He's 18 years old and is being played up with the reserves instead of his last year of U19 eligibility, he's a good prospect on a mid-upper table Ligue 1 club.

Besides, this Belgian demographic cycle will start to sputter out mid-decade when Bassong hits his prime. Don't assume anything.

• 1 month later...

http://justesoccer.com/europe/zohran-bassong-longueuil-europe/

Here is cool article about him and his journey to Europe. It's in French. 

It makes me happy that a Canadian kid is turning heads in Europe, but it pisses me off at the same time because it shows a lot about the failures of Canadian soccer/CSA and it seems we have lost once again another young talented player to a European power house.

CSA doesn't do enough to develop young talent. Now this young talented player is now in Europe and now playing for  Belgium. It seems like there is no support for young talent players to take their game to the Top level. 

Edited by SpecialK

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

CSA doesn't do enough to develop young talent. Now this young talented player is now in Europe and now playing for  Belgium. It seems like there is no support for young talent players to take their game to the Top level. 

The article specifically quotes his father saying they turned down the Impact and that they pursued his Belgian eligibility to have a better opportunity at larger Euro clubs. Should the CSA develop a year round youth program similar to USA hockey? That's an idea.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The article specifically quotes his father saying they turned down the Impact and that they pursued his Belgian eligibility to have a better opportunity at larger Euro clubs. Should the CSA develop a year round youth program similar to USA hockey? That's an idea.

Buzz That could work. Great idea ! :) 

12 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The article states clearly that his mother and him moved to Belgium when he was 14 so that she could regain her citizenship and therefore get him more trials. Not sure what the CSA should have done about that.

I think the answer is rather obvious.  The CSA HQ is downtown Ottawa. As soon as they got word that Bassong was leaving they should have just sent someone over to speak with the Minister responsible for passports and tell him that Bassong is leaving Canada for nefarious reasons (i.e. desire to play soccer under a different flag).  Surely there are measures in place to revoke someone's passport for that reason!  If not, then the CSA should be walking straight down Metcalfe to Parliament and demand that the Canadian Passport Order be amendment to prevent budding soccer players from travelling on Canadian passports.  

This is a clear case where the CSA has not done enough to prevent the development of young players and hamper their career choices.

8 minutes ago, WheatsheafSK said:

I think the answer is rather obvious.  The CSA HQ is downtown Ottawa. As soon as they got word that Bassong was leaving they should have just sent someone over to speak with the Minister responsible for passports and tell him that Bassong is leaving Canada for nefarious reasons (i.e. desire to play soccer under a different flag).  Surely there are measures in place to revoke someone's passport for that reason!  If not, then the CSA should be walking straight down Metcalfe to Parliament and demand that the Canadian Passport Order be amendment to prevent budding soccer players from travelling on Canadian passports. 

Are you serious?

2 hours ago, PopePouri said:

Are you serious?

Serious?  I am all for crushing the aspirations of youth.  Besides, what is the point of having a CSA office blocks from Parliament if they are not going to throw their weight around?  Soccer is the most played sport in Canada. Time to get Parliament to acknowledge that fact.  The Government should transfer the entire defence budget to Canadian soccer. Soldiers can be transitioned into soccer players for the CPL.  It is a brilliant idea that solves all of soccer's problems.

But - if you really have to ask, you already know the answer.

Edited by WheatsheafSK
spelling

54 minutes ago, WheatsheafSK said:

This is a clear case where the CSA has not done enough to prevent the development of young players and hamper their career choices.

He played for Canada after he left, while at Anderlecht.......