Sebastian Breza

Dr.Dre

2 hours ago, BLennard said:

https://www.lalaziosiamonoi.it/mercato/calciomercato-non-solo-dragowski-lo-spezia-pensa-al-dopo-provedel-165843

According to some reports in Italy, Spezia Calcio are interested in signing Breza from Bologna. It'd be their second Canadian gk in 3 years. I guess they had a good experience with the last one lol.

There’s no way Sebastian Breza could start in the Serie A…. But you never know with goalies I guess I just think it might  be a case of him being stuck on the bench as a backup. You gotta think that if he does start and doesn’t play bad it skyrockets him up the goaltending depth chart with a goalie starting in a top 5 league would be damn hard not to have on the NT.

On 7/16/2022 at 5:43 PM, BLennard said:

I'm sorry but Nancy is a clown. I see no tactics in that team. Great players running like headless chickens on the field can only get you so far.

What are you watching man?  Seriously.

I've watched the majority of the games this year and they are a solid, pretty well organized (if mostly unspectacular) team most of the time.  Especially considering their budget vs most of their opponents.  They use one DP where others have 3. Their depth was shown to be lacking with those early extra CCL games, but other than that, Nancy really should be in the convo for coach of the year.   He basically took a roster that Thierry Henry made a total train-wreck of on the field, and has them on pace for their best ever season!  

So yeah, welcome to the board and all that, but maybe spare us all the hyperbole next time.

And for the record,  I agree with you that Breza has been alright most of the time. 

4 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

So yeah, welcome to the board and all that, but maybe spare us all the hyperbole next time.

Look I'm just stating my opinion. Maybe I watch too many European games, but I feel like CF Montreal are actually super lucky to be so up in the standings. Look at those goals conceded. Absolutely awful. And they don't even score that much.

Each time I see them play, I feel like it's individuals who win the games and not the team. Their wingbacks, I find them all over the place. Transitional play from def to off is minimal, if it weren't for Kone and Mihailovic. Even simple things like the set pieces, what the hell is going on there? Lappalainen runs one direction, to the corner and hopes to find someone with a cross in. 

The 'Nancy is a clown' part was for putting the blame on the gks. But yes, I still see no tactics.

Honestly I am super open to someone explaining to me what the game plan for CF Montreal is. 

I am a fan of the way Montreal play especially with the resources they have and as said above, Nancy fixing the train wreck that was left him by Henry.  That being said, I too think their record flatters them. As I said on here a couple of weeks ago, they have a really poor defensive record in the bottom 10% or so for goals scored and also a so-so goal difference.  They definitely need to clean that up a bit in the last third of the season

• 2 weeks later...

In Doyle's team tier list, he mentions how great Montreal is, but then also mentions their two issues, goalscoring and goalkeeping. Apparently the stats are not kind to either Breza or Pantemis.

"But the most obvious concern for this team, and for any team in this tier, is in goal. There’s a 14-goal gap between their goals allowed and expected goal allowed, which is a catastrophe. Only about half of that comes down to post-shot xG, but still, there’s a reason Sebastian Breza lost the starting job. He was costing this team points on an almost weekly basis.

James Pantemis was very good in his first few starts replacing Breza, but then he cost Montreal two points this weekend himself. I’m not sure either guy is a No. 1 ‘keeper in this league.

Now compare that to the goalkeeper situation for every other team in this tier, and the one above. Pretty big difference!"

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/ranking-all-28-mls-teams-by-tier-at-the-all-star-break Link for anyone who wants to read the piece.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

In Doyle's team tier list, he mentions how great Montreal is, but then also mentions their two issues, goalscoring and goalkeeping. Apparently the stats are not kind to either Breza or Pantemis.

"But the most obvious concern for this team, and for any team in this tier, is in goal. There’s a 14-goal gap between their goals allowed and expected goal allowed, which is a catastrophe. Only about half of that comes down to post-shot xG, but still, there’s a reason Sebastian Breza lost the starting job. He was costing this team points on an almost weekly basis.

James Pantemis was very good in his first few starts replacing Breza, but then he cost Montreal two points this weekend himself. I’m not sure either guy is a No. 1 ‘keeper in this league.

Now compare that to the goalkeeper situation for every other team in this tier, and the one above. Pretty big difference!"

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/ranking-all-28-mls-teams-by-tier-at-the-all-star-break Link for anyone who wants to read the piece.

To be fair both are still pretty young but it’s not great to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...

Caught the last couple of minutes of Montreal vs Chicago on WGN.  The commentator said Breza was nothing short of spectacular.  Near the end he punted one up the field that was perfectly placed (again said the commentator)  I thought it went past the end line but I must be blind as it went for a thrown in as deep as you could get in the Chicago end.  That was Montreal's 4th consecutive road win.

1 hour ago, P-O said:

He was special and lucky last night.

Have the feeling Pantemis is done in Montreal and he needs to seek a transfer to CPL or better if he wants to play.

With all due respect, I think this is going way too far: Breza's issue has never been that he can't put truly stellar performance. His issue is that he is inconsistent and that other nights he will cost you points. That's what allowed Pantemis to get in contention for first goaltender in the first place and IMO that fight is far from over. I expect to see him (Pantemis) back against New York next week.

1 hour ago, P-O said:

He was special and lucky last night.

Have the feeling Pantemis is done in Montreal and he needs to seek a transfer to CPL or better if he wants to play.

FWIW before last night Breza only played one game in the last two months, while Pantemis played 4 and won then all, and that’s after Pantemis hadn’t played a minute in about 8 months. I don’t know Montreal’s long term plans in nets, but he’s the perfect backup keeper for them right now, especially with Breza being wildly inconsistent.

For the last month and a bit Pantemis has been the first choice keeper in Montreal. Breza got the start last night because the midweek game against the Red Bulls is being prioritized. Nancy has been a lot more open to rotating the keepers recently and I fully expect to see Pantemis back in goal Wednesday night. 

Breza is higher ceiling but Pantemis is higher floor IMO. I think Breza can eventually put it together, but it's gonna be hard to trust him as a starting keeper when Montreal is gunning for a top playoff spot. I was at the game against KC where Breza lost his starting spot. I have nowhere near an expert eye for scouting, especially for keepers, but he looked so bad.

Funny enough, the closest comparison I can think of is that he's where Corbeanu was last year. Great talent, but some fatal flaws that kept him out of the starting lineup. I wonder where the Breza to Italy rumours are at now.

• 4 months later...