Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What ever happened to the kid who was/is playing for the Celtic B team? Any news on him? Is he getting close to the first team at all. Seemed to be a bit of excitement about him about a year ago. He is a dual national, no?

Bruno Davidson?

He's 19 according to Google and still playing Celtic B, which is pretty low level I think.

May not be worth the fuss 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What ever happened to the kid who was/is playing for the Celtic B team? Any news on him? Is he getting close to the first team at all. Seemed to be a bit of excitement about him about a year ago. He is a dual national, no?

Screenshot_20240130_094352_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.508a8a6eaff71ea60fa24aab7eaa2db1.jpg

played good minutes and in the Uefa Youth League.

https://thecelticstar.com/unique-angle-from-lazio-0-2-celtic-in-uefa-youth-league/

Hasn't broken through to Celtic first team yet and goals assists aren't flowing but still early days  

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Never understood the excitement there. Seemed to be agent planted. A kid who is on Celtic youth and can’t get into Scotland youth. So a poor man’s Aird at this stage? 

59 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Never understood the excitement there. Seemed to be agent planted. A kid who is on Celtic youth and can’t get into Scotland youth. So a poor man’s Aird at this stage? 

Although I agree to some degree, I think he was called up to scotland u16 vs australia. There was also some buzz as many prem teams wanted him and he trained with liverpool prior to signing with celtic. 

Sure, hes got a long ways to go, but hes not a poor mans aird IMO. His ceiling is much higher than airds ever was.... even if Davidson never makes it at celtic. 

Aird played for rangers when they were 3rd division. He was never truly cut out for rangers in div 1. His appearances dried up quite a bit as they climbed the ladder and hes always fought for appearances in div 2/3. 

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Although I agree to some degree, I think he was called up to scotland u16 vs australia. There was also some buzz as many prem teams wanted him and he trained with liverpool prior to signing with celtic. 

Sure, hes got a long ways to go, but hes not a poor mans aird IMO. His ceiling is much higher than airds ever was.... even if Davidson never makes it at celtic. 

Aird played for rangers when they were 3rd division. He was never truly cut out for rangers in div 1. His appearances dried up quite a bit as they climbed the ladder and hes always fought for appearances in div 2/3. 

You're not wrong, but Aird also scored against the Scottish full national team and was man of the match. I also thought he was unlucky not to have a longer stint in MLS, as I thought he did quite well for Vancouver. Always felt he could have gone further, personally. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

You're not wrong, but Aird also scored against the Scottish full national team and was man of the match. I also thought he was unlucky not to have a longer stint in MLS, as I thought he did quite well for Vancouver. Always felt he could have gone further, personally. 

If you look at the team we put out, it was quite shocking. The pitch was terrible and the only reason aird scored was a double deflection right to him. I dont put too much stock into a MOTM in this type of game. If he didnt score, he doesnt claim MOTM. 

I also was a bit surprised he didnt go further but in hindsight, I think his ceiling would be average MLS player which he wasnt able to fulfill. I think brunos ceiling is playing at celtic with a potential lateral/slightly upwards move to a top 5 league. I dont think he reaches that level but I think it could happen while I think it was never on the cards for aird. 

3 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

If you look at the team we put out, it was quite shocking. The pitch was terrible and the only reason aird scored was a double deflection right to him. I dont put too much stock into a MOTM in this type of game. If he didnt score, he doesnt claim MOTM. 

I also was a bit surprised he didnt go further but in hindsight, I think his ceiling would be average MLS player which he wasnt able to fulfill. I think brunos ceiling is playing at celtic with a potential lateral/slightly upwards move to a top 5 league. I dont think he reaches that level but I think it could happen while I think it was never on the cards for aird. 

One of the weirder rosters in recent memory, but from what I recall Aird was really good that game even if you take out the goal. I also remember La'Vere Corbin-Ong (LVCO?) showing well in the second half, so obviously there wasn't much to take from that match.

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

One of the weirder rosters in recent memory, but from what I recall Aird was really good that game even if you take out the goal. I also remember La'Vere Corbin-Ong (LVCO?) showing well in the second half, so obviously there wasn't much to take from that match.

Agreed.

Goal aside, he was definitely our biggest threat on that day.

If I recall correctly, Arfield and Piette were our starting CM pairing and did well too, even Bustos came on as a substitute and had some neat touches. Aird was definitely the standout though, and it wasn't even close. Easily the best game I ever saw him play for club or country, considering who the opponent was.

And it was a decent Scotland side too, not some fringe roster selection, although there were a couple of players they were missing for sure. Still, I remember being impressed we even got a draw, considering the team we had and the state of our program. It was a pleseant surprise. 

Edited by Obinna

Klukowski has interest from the Polish FA.  I think for the U18 team ???

"In the case of Antoni Klukowski, it is hardly surprising that the coach wants to strengthen him, because he will almost certainly make his debut in the Ekstraklasa in the spring."

"When he was still playing for Legia (he left in the summer, he didn't have a signed contract), he was called up twice for the selection camp, but he was injured. The Canadian federation took advantage of the case (his father, Michael Klukowski, played for this country 37 times, he also played for Club Brugge and APOEL FC - editor's note) and proposed a very clear development path, which he took advantage of. Now the Polish Football Association wants to reverse the course of events, but the cards are in the player's hands."

(google translate)

https://www.polsatsport.pl/wiadomosc/2024-01-22/droga-do-kadry-wiedzie-przez-talent-pro-pzpn-bierze-na-euro-zawodnika-z-kanady/

Edited by Buchta

17 hours ago, El Diego said:

I was at that match. We were the better side in spite of Scotland having a strong team. A rag tag group for sure - from that roster I believe only 3 players ended up on our World Cup squad. Tons of CPL content on that team. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

18 hours ago, Buchta said:

Klukowski has interest from the Polish FA.  I think for the U18 team ???

"In the case of Antoni Klukowski, it is hardly surprising that the coach wants to strengthen him, because he will almost certainly make his debut in the Ekstraklasa in the spring."

"When he was still playing for Legia (he left in the summer, he didn't have a signed contract), he was called up twice for the selection camp, but he was injured. The Canadian federation took advantage of the case (his father, Michael Klukowski, played for this country 37 times, he also played for Club Brugge and APOEL FC - editor's note) and proposed a very clear development path, which he took advantage of. Now the Polish Football Association wants to reverse the course of events, but the cards are in the player's hands."

(google translate)

https://www.polsatsport.pl/wiadomosc/2024-01-22/droga-do-kadry-wiedzie-przez-talent-pro-pzpn-bierze-na-euro-zawodnika-z-kanady/

If only we could have talent camps like Poland seem to have… sigh

• 1 month later...
Just now, VinceA said:

Does he even have Canadian citizenship? His dad gave it up.

🤷🏻‍♂️. I remember during the WC broadcast Julian saying "My nephew in Holland called and said he wasn't to play for Canada" 

It does not matter that his dad gave up his citizenship. He was born is Canada. That's what matters. 

Just now, Vasi said:

🤷🏻‍♂️. I remember during the WC broadcast Julian saying "My nephew in Holland called and said he wasn't to play for Canada" 

It does not matter that his dad gave up his citizenship. He was born is Canada. That's what matters. 

Was he? I didn't know that I assumed he was born in Holland.

37 minutes ago, Vasi said:

I could be wrong but I think someone here has stated that the kid isn’t good enough for Canada let alone Netherlands.

apparently Netherlands screens pretty much every kid as of a certain level for years so that they don’t miss talent. 

@Footyeh have you seen him play ?