Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I could be wrong but I think someone here has stated that the kid isn’t good enough for Canada let alone Netherlands.

I highly doubt it, this is a player who's already gotten his debut for Jong PSV, trained with the first team last couple weeks of February, I cannot think of many players in the 2007 age group playing at a higher level than he is

16 hours ago, phresh said:

I highly doubt it, this is a player who's already gotten his debut for Jong PSV, trained with the first team last couple weeks of February, I cannot think of many players in the 2007 age group playing at a higher level than he is

See that’s more inline with what I had heard about when I first heard of him.

On 3/9/2024 at 10:50 AM, Shway said:

I had a stupid thought about this: there’s no way he’s going to be included in the squad for T&T right (even for experience)? Timings right for the post to make sense, but I would think that would be a massive stretch and not something I think should be done for such an important game. 

1 hour ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

I had a stupid thought about this: there’s no way he’s going to be included in the squad for T&T right (even for experience)? Timings right for the post to make sense, but I would think that would be a massive stretch and not something I think should be done for such an important game. 

He's so far from a call up. Colyn arguably can be the best player on jong psv/de graafschap and hes not really in the CMNT picture. JDG hasnt played for jong psv from what I've seen but someone said he has? In either case, he need s to be a regular for jong psv first before we think about sending him an invite and that will still be way to early to call it justified.

He wasn’t named to the prelim roster so no chance.

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is it possible he just posted that as typical athlete motivation content without worrying about where's he's committing? I feel like where he's at in his career, national team selection isn't even close to being something he has to think about, so he's just posting a motivational clip from his uncle.

Or it’s possible, and more likely, that he’s using his dad’s playbook to leverage a call from Oranje. Crazier things have happened but his dad who was actually Canadian didn’t want to play for us when his brother was on the team.. what are the chances the Dutch son of a former Dutch player wants to play for us? 

Well to be fair, the landscape has changed a bit since his dad made his final choice to wear the orange.  Our federation may be a complete mess and the chronic underfunding of all programs is still evident, but maybe we arent the laughing stock to duals like we were in a Whorgreaves to Assovic era.  Just in the last year we have had breakthroughs in Spain and Italy for CDN players.  If he cant make the dutch squad, mb canada isnt such a nasty consolation prize anymore?   

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is it possible he just posted that as typical athlete motivation content without worrying about where's he's committing? I feel like where he's at in his career, national team selection isn't even close to being something he has to think about, so he's just posting a motivational clip from his uncle.

I just don’t see what’s motivational about his uncle saying “I’ve dedicated my entire career to Canada.” 🤣

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Or it’s possible, and more likely, that he’s using his dad’s playbook to leverage a call from Oranje. Crazier things have happened but his dad who was actually Canadian didn’t want to play for us when his brother was on the team.. what are the chances the Dutch son of a former Dutch player wants to play for us? 

What leverage does he have though? Is he remotely close to their team? Has he even separated himself from his age cohorts? I think someone here said that the Netherlands goes through all of their youth players with a fine tooth comb, so it would be surprising if they both overlooked this kid and also got scared by Canada capping him.

Jaden was born in January 2007, and Jonathan got his Dutch passport in February 2008. My guess is since Jonathan was in the process of obtaining Dutch citizenship, he never filed any paperwork to obtain Canadian citizenship for his son. Why would he? 

I believe Jaden is currently ineligible to play for Canada. However, I am not 100% certain he cannot obtain a passport. A citizenship lawyer would know that answer.

Nevertheless, considering Holland's strict rules regarding citizenship, there are many reasons why he may not want a Canadian passport. 

It's not 0%, but it isn't good. 

Ah I wasnt aware, my bad! Hopefully confirmed I guess!

Great find though. Love hearing this news and I totally forgot he existed until you brought it up. 

4 hours ago, AnonymousInsider said:

Erik Pop (2006) has been called to Romania U18s for a pair of friendlies against Sweden and Norway.

Interesting. Was surprised he wasn't called for the u20s. Maybe this is why.. or maybe what we had is just better than him?

While that is not great, on a more positive note Grady McDonnell (Ireland) and Marsel Bibishkov (Bulgaria) are not playing for their respective countries in the Elite Round of Euro U-17 Qualifying. This means they are not provisionally cap-tying themselves to another country. I'm not sure if they rejected or weren't called, but considering they were called for the last round of qualifying I'm leaning more towards the first scenario.