Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

24 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

We don’t have anyone who this would affect do we?

Sigur will be turning 21 right before Croatia’s Euro U21 qualifiers in October this year

Edited by phresh

8 minutes ago, phresh said:

Sigur will be turning 21 right before Croatia’s Euro U21 qualifiers in October this year

And I guess euro qualifiers count as an “A tier tournament” or whatever they call it, so same importance as Olympics, and thus if he plays, he’s gone forever, right? 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

And I guess euro qualifiers count as an “A tier tournament” or whatever they call it, so same importance as Olympics, and thus if he plays, he’s gone forever, right? 

Yes, Fifa considers them official matches and he would be permanently cap-tied

17 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I guess this means that Mo Farsi is cap tied to Canada.

Also Raposo and Bair.

Just checked, here are their last national team caps and eligibility

Mo Farsi : last played March 25, 2021 vs Honduras U23 in Olympic qualification, he was over 21 and doesn't seem to be eligible for a one-time switch

Theo Bair : last played March 28, 2021 vs Mexico U23 in Olympic qualification, was also over 21

Ryan Raposo : last played March 28, 2021 vs Mexico U23 in Olympic qualification, also over 21

1 hour ago, phresh said:

Mo Farsi : last played March 25, 2021 vs Honduras U23 in Olympic qualification, he was over 21 and doesn't seem to be eligible for a one-time switch

I'm a little torn.  Part of me is like "karma is an honest and fair bitch, how do you like Canada now twerp?" and Canada should never call him up out of principle.  2- I feel a little bad for him, cause man, that is bad guidance and borderline idiotic if true.  3- a very very little part of me is like we might be able to use him at some point. 

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Wait… there’s no way in hell Farsi is captied to us? Like, there’s no way right?  Absolutely insane it true.

I find that difficult to believe, considering it was an olympic qualifier (and not the olympics itself). As the rule is written, I'm surprised those 2 dutch players' request were denied in the first place.

24 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

I find that difficult to believe, considering it was an olympic qualifier (and not the olympics itself). As the rule is written, I'm surprised those 2 dutch players' request were denied in the first place.

This article confirms it. I'm not sure if Indonesia is still trying to appeal in their case.

https://www.bolanusantara.com/timnas/55312304481/ini-dia-waktu-kapan-kiper-fc-dallas-maarten-paes-debut-dengan-timnas-indonesia

33 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'm a little torn.  Part of me is like "karma is an honest and fair bitch, how do you like Canada now twerp?" and Canada should never call him up out of principle.  2- I feel a little bad for him, cause man, that is bad guidance and borderline idiotic if true.  3- a very very little part of me is like we might be able to use him at some point. 

I am petty.  Put me firmly in camp 1. 

Also, the player in question for Suriname, Daishawn Redan was a highly rated prospect that seems to not have turned out into much.

He is currently a teammate of Luca Petrasso at Triestina in Serie C (on loan from Venezia)

33 minutes ago, narduch said:

This article confirms it. I'm not sure if Indonesia is still trying to appeal in their case.

https://www.bolanusantara.com/timnas/55312304481/ini-dia-waktu-kapan-kiper-fc-dallas-maarten-paes-debut-dengan-timnas-indonesia

Yeah, the 2 dutch guys I'm not contesting. I'm pretty sure they're done if FIFA says so.

I'm more thinking Farsi, who played an olympic qualifying tournament at age 21. But that tournament was only for olympic qualifying, not a continental championship. These days they are nearly one and the same since the 2022 concacaf U20 championship also served as olympic qualifying, but when Farsi did it they were still separate. 

I would also point out that Farsi played on our futsal team, which also at least provisionally cap ties him to Canada (of all forms of soccer). I have no idea if there is a junior/senior breakdown or what tournament he played in though. 

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

I wonder what he feels in his heart now, other than “F*ck, I am an idiot”

He has been frantically listening to Celine Dion, my heart goes on and sorry for love.. and then writing a love letter to Canada.

Forgive me for the things
That I never said to you
Forgive me for not knowing
The right words to say, to prove
That I will always be
Devoted to you and me
And if you can't feel that in my love
Then I'm sorry for not giving you enough
Edited by toontownman

Lol it would be funny if he is cap tied, but it really gets under my skin how some people are treating him like the devil for wanting to play for another nation. I don't know, maybe I am the one who has changed, but it seems really childish, at least in this case. I always want eligible players to play for Canada, but damn have we always been this salty?

Anyways, I also wanted to take this opportunity to (once again) harp on the stupidity of these convoluted rules. The fact his advisors, who are immersed in the game professionally, possibly didn't know the rules just speaks how unnecessarily confusing they are. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Lol it would be funny if he is cap tied, but it really gets under my skin how some people are treating him like the devil for wanting to play for another nation. I don't know, maybe I am the one who has changed, but it seems really childish, at least in this case. I always want eligible players to play for Canada, but damn have we always been this salty?

Anyways, I also wanted to take this opportunity to (once again) harp on the stupidity of these convoluted rules. The fact his advisors, who are immersed in the game professionally, possibly didn't know the rules just speaks how unnecessarily confusing they are. 

I'm surprised the FIFA eligibility rules changed quietly and nobody here noticed until now considering alot of Vs study it religiosly like the Bible.

Anyhow, Farsi aside, I'm more concerned about the long term impact here. Does this mean a lot of the dual nationals will not have the luxury of experimenting going forward?