Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

35 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

IMG_5309.jpeg

He came on in a u17 euro qualifier yesterday vs italy. 

Can someone let me know what the rules are for playing youth teams and when you would be required to file a one time switch? 

Is jaden now provisionally cap tied and will need to file a one time switch to play for CMNT?

3 hours ago, AnonymousInsider said:

While that is not great, on a more positive note Grady McDonnell (Ireland) and Marsel Bibishkov (Bulgaria) are not playing for their respective countries in the Elite Round of Euro U-17 Qualifying. This means they are not provisionally cap-tying themselves to another country. I'm not sure if they rejected or weren't called, but considering they were called for the last round of qualifying I'm leaning more towards the first scenario.

Thats awesome, they're both fairly highly regarded prospects

17 hours ago, Footyeh said:

He's supposed to be playing for PSV U17's at next weekend's Generation Adidas Cup against MLS academies so it'll be interesting to see how he looks.  I imagine there will be streams.

We’ll also see how good he actually his.

Interview with Lazar Stefanovic with a Serbian blog (article is in English): https://serbianfootballscout.medium.com/sons-of-serbia-lazar-stefanović-toronto-fc-456400526750

He was asked if he’d ever represent Serbia, and he replied that he’s currently focused on Canada, though he’s in touch with their federation, as well as ours as the US, where he was born. Not really any revealing information and it’s insanely early for him to decide on his future but I feel like we’re usually on the losing end of the “I’m currently focused on X federation”, so that was nice to see. Apparently he’s a red star fan and follows Serbian sports, but that might be more the interviewer asking him leading questions about his ties with Serbia. 

20 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Interview with Lazar Stefanovic with a Serbian blog (article is in English): https://serbianfootballscout.medium.com/sons-of-serbia-lazar-stefanović-toronto-fc-456400526750

He was asked if he’d ever represent Serbia, and he replied that he’s currently focused on Canada, though he’s in touch with their federation, as well as ours as the US, where he was born. Not really any revealing information and it’s insanely early for him to decide on his future but I feel like we’re usually on the losing end of the “I’m currently focused on X federation”, so that was nice to see. Apparently he’s a red star fan and follows Serbian sports, but that might be more the interviewer asking him leading questions about his ties with Serbia. 

Get him in with the senior program young.  If Herdman can bring a mediocre player like Campagna (who now appears to be playing in 3rd division Finland).

He’s eligible for USA and Serbia and if we’re being honest, if it doesn’t work out and he’s not good enough for Canada long term, then he’s probably not likely going to be good enough for Usa or Serbia as well.  It’s not like Tomori with England who would have 50 caps for us and a World Cup appearance and soon to be Copa America.

Edited by Corazon

13 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Get him in with the senior program young.  If Herdman can bring a mediocre player like Campagna (who now appears to be playing in 3rd division Finland).

He’s eligible for USA and Serbia and if we’re being honest, if it doesn’t work out and he’s not good enough for Canada long term, then he’s probably not likely going to be good enough for Usa or Serbia as well.  It’s not like Tomori with England who would have 50 caps for us and a World Cup appearance and soon to be Copa America.

Wasn’t Adam Pearlman (who I thought was like 23 by now) brought into the WCQ camps at like 16? Would be nice to see Stefanovic be brought in similarly, but it might be trickier since we usually ride with more CBs than we need, so unsure if they could use him in practices. 

We definitely have the inside track on Stefanovic- between him, Kozlovskiy, LDF, JKL, high hopes we hit on at least one of them.

also, Finland has a 3rd tier? From what I’ve seen/heard about their top division, that’s probably a league that some of the more athletic posters here might be able to make. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Wasn’t Adam Pearlman (who I thought was like 23 by now) brought into the WCQ camps at like 16? Would be nice to see Stefanovic be brought in similarly, but it might be trickier since we usually ride with more CBs than we need, so unsure if they could use him in practices. 

We definitely have the inside track on Stefanovic- between him, Kozlovskiy, LDF, JKL, high hopes we hit on at least one of them.

I've watched Stefanovic and Pearlman as a CB pairing a few times (6 or 7 with either TFC II or Canada U20s) now.  Each time, IMHO, Stefanovic looks better than Pearlman despite being a year younger.

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

We have U20 qualifying coming up in the summer. That's the best place for Stefanovic right now.

If he were getting MLS minutes I would reconsider. 

Just an aside, I think TFC sent both Stefanovic and Pearlman to their U19 team to play in the Dallas Cup

They did, I’ve been following the IG posts.  Looks like they beat Frankfurt 5-1 but lost to both Monterey and Sao Paolo 2-1.

I also agree that the invites to our senior team come if youth ball isn’t needed.  There are plenty of youth internationals with senior caps that go back and forth between programs when needed.

Edited by Corazon

42 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

also, Finland has a 3rd tier? From what I’ve seen/heard about their top division, that’s probably a league that some of the more athletic posters here might be able to make. 

Kozlovskiy? Is he a natural CB. At the u20s he played left back and had that screamer of a goal. Would love it if he is versatile enough to play both. 

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Kozlovskiy? Is he a natural CB. At the u20s he played left back and had that screamer of a goal. Would love it if he is versatile enough to play both. 

From what people who’ve watched him say, I was under the impression that he’s a natural CB who might develop into a DM? The impression I got from him was that he could become a much better Piette. 

47 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I've watched Stefanovic and Pearlman as a CB pairing a few times (6 or 7 with either TFC II or Canada U20s) now.  Each time, IMHO, Stefanovic looks better than Pearlman despite being a year younger.

Was Pearlman even brought in because they saw a lot of potential in him or just because he was around? I vaguely remember an interview with him from a few years back, and it seemed like Herdman just thought he was a nice kid who would be good to keep around. 

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Was Pearlman even brought in because they saw a lot of potential in him or just because he was around? I vaguely remember an interview with him from a few years back, and it seemed like Herdman just thought he was a nice kid who would be good to keep around. 

A combination of both availability and potential. You dont take a garbage player. Campagna, pearlman and michel have all been training players with herdmans "A" squad. 

Just now, Bigandy said:

A combination of both availability and potential. You dont take a garbage player. Campagna, pearlman and michel have all been training players with herdmans "A" squad. 

They're just training dummies

27 minutes ago, narduch said:

They're just training dummies

Of course, but if you have the option of 2 training dummies, you likely pick the one that is the least dummy. 

Is there a better available option for a 2005 born centerback back in 2021-22? Pearlman is the best choice. Sure stefanovic is an option but he wouldve been very small and young so I get the older player pick. It's not like herdman ever picked a low rated prospect. 

44 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Not garbage- Pearlman has been with TFC II since he was 16 I believe, so he clearly has some talent, but in his case, I think it was more that he was available and was a good fit for what they needed out of the practice squad, not because they were easing him into the national program. With Michel, I think it was more about his potential, though I wonder with the Edmonton connection if he's a player that Davies knows and he got in that way.

As for who they select, other than availability, it might just be that they're looking for a specific profile to mimic an opponent- we're playing the Netherlands in June, maybe we call in Luka Gavran because his height better matches up with Verbruggen than any of our 3 regulars does, or maybe we're calling in whoever the tallest CB in the CPL is just so we can get a guy to pretend he's VVD whenever the team is practicing their corners.

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

They did, I’ve been following the IG posts.  Looks like they beat Frankfurt 5-1 but lost to both Monterey and Sao Paolo 2-1.

I also agree that the invites to our senior team come if youth ball isn’t needed.  There are plenty of youth internationals with senior caps that go back and forth between programs when needed.

I thought it started March 30?

34 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I thought it started March 30?

Sorry, this was Dallas Cup this week.  Those were the the results from the U19’s games this week.  They lost to Monterrey 2-1 on Sunday (TFC was winning at half).  They beat Frankfurt 5-1 on Monday and lost to Sao Paolo 2-1 yesterday. 

Both Pearlman and Stefanovic were included in this squad and they competed in the Top Division that included the clubs above along with Botafogo, L.D. Alajuelense, FC Midtjylland, Fulham, Santos Laguna, Tigres, FC Dallas & St Louis.

58 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Sorry, this was Dallas Cup this week.  Those were the the results from the U19’s games this week.  They lost to Monterrey 2-1 on Sunday (TFC was winning at half).  They beat Frankfurt 5-1 on Monday and lost to Sao Paolo 2-1 yesterday. 

Both Pearlman and Stefanovic were included in this squad and they competed in the Top Division that included the clubs above along with Botafogo, L.D. Alajuelense, FC Midtjylland, Fulham, Santos Laguna, Tigres, FC Dallas & St Louis.

I wonder if LDF stayed behind after the Canada match to play for their U19s

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Didn’t Randy Edwini-Bonsu tear up Finish 3rd tier a while back… those were the days where we were desperate for any kind of scoring….