Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

17 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Holmes and Solholm could become discussions again in the future 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/no-appeal-lost-canadians-1.7090649

I think with this they just became discussions. 

This would make them eligible as soon as the ruling stands or is implemented.

Edited by Dominic94

3 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Very interesting

Solholm is now playing with Odds in Norway. Out with injury until July 2024

Holmes is on Reading. Now playing in League One.

Just took a look at that myself. Interesting to see what's happened with both recently.

Holmes btw is now property of Luton Town and is back with Reading on loan. At 23 years old, I think playing out the year in League One is not the end of the world. Holmes probably gets called into this current national team, if Eligible.

Solhom on the other hand, at 28 years old, coming back from injury and playing in Norway, would probably be surplus to requirements, though.

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Holmes would be a welcome addition. Still young for a CB and just bought by Luton. Will more than likely be in the championship next year. 

Holmes would need more than recent experience playing in League One. Hopefully, that becomes reality soon.  BTW, would most League One clubs have their way with CPL clubs?

7 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Holmes would need more than recent experience playing in League One. Hopefully, that becomes reality soon.  BTW, would most League One clubs have their way with CPL clubs?

Considering Michael Petrasso went to Barnet in the 5th tier at the time and played pretty well while being one of the better CPLers at the time and Pepple's struggling in the national league I'd say so.

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

He's got 112 appearances in the championship under his belt. He only stayed with Reading out of loyalty and a premier league team just bought him but loaned him back to Reading until seasons end. He has Premier League interest previously too. If he is eligible he is our best CB prospect imo. 

Would also expect half the league 2 teams to beat CPL teams. Think it's somewhere between league 2 and non league in comparison. Maybe that's too harsh.

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He's got 112 appearances in the championship under his belt. He only stayed with Reading out of loyalty and a premier league team just bought him but loaned him back to Reading until seasons end. He has Premier League interest previously too. If he is eligible he is our best CB prospect imo. 

Would also expect half the league 2 teams to beat CPL teams. Think it's somewhere between league 2 and non league in comparison. Maybe that's too harsh.

Agree on Holmes.

I also agree that League 2 is a good comparison for CPL. And that is not a slight on the CPL, that is a solid development level. One day if CPL teams start to consistently send players to the MLS, then it may have graduated to "League 1" level!

11 minutes ago, toontownman said:

What happened to LDF being our best CB prospect?

A lot of guys were saying that...

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

What happened to LDF being our best CB prospect?

A lot of guys were saying that...

He probably still is tbf. He is 6 years younger than Holmes isn't he? Prospect was likely the wrong wording to use. I don't see Holmes as one for the future or up and coming youth prospect (although he is only 23), he already has a ton of pro experience and could be deemed as more of an instant starter in our squad.

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He probably still is tbf. He is 6 years younger than Holmes isn't he? Prospect was likely the wrong wording to use. I don't see Holmes as one for the future or up and coming youth prospect (although he is only 23), he already has a ton of pro experience and could be deemed as more of an instant starter in our squad.

A lot of guys were saying LDF could/should be a starter. 

11 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

He’s a championship level CB even if Reading is in league one this season. League one is comfortably better than CPL. For reference, teams like Australia and Jamaica regularly call up players playing league one. I’d say that CPL is more like the lower half of League Two. 

Petrasso did really well in the national league and has never been a top player in CPL. 

I’m more curious about the guys we might not even know about yet. Seems a lot of our dual national converts are guys we don’t even necessarily think about beforehand like Zack McGraw, so I think the first player to benefit from this law change is probably not even someone we know about. Just out of the American pool there has to be a ton of players. Probably some good players somewhere in Germany and the Netherlands who might find themselves suddenly Canadian.

11 hours ago, Shway said:

A lot of guys were saying LDF could/should be a starter. 

I would like to see LDF continue getting calls to the NT. He looked good in the few minutes I saw of him playing for Fulham, but he hasn't played for them since, which is a little disappointing.

If and when he starts getting regular calls to the Fulham bench, rather than sporatic ones, I think he'll be ready to see the field for Canada. And if it comes sooner then great, we get to cap him. Not suggesting we base the decision to play him on what's going on at Fulham, I mean that a young player being listed to the bench, week-in, week-out, for a team like Fulham should theoretically be good enough to play minutes for Canada. If he actually starts getting minutes in the EPL, I do think we have to consider him as a potential starter, even if the minutes are few and far between. We don't have any other defenders in the top 5 European leagues. 

While I am here, I have to say that I am pretty happy with JKL's trajectory. He hasn't played for Bristol City yet, but he's being listed to the bench every single week. Obviously it's the Championship, so I wouldn't say he deserves a NT call quite yet, but it's the type of consistency I want to see for LDF with Fulham in the Prem. 

As for Holmes, I think given his track record he's probably priority number 1 in terms of defensive dual nationals. For me he'd leapfrog LDF just because at 23 with 114 games or whatever in the Championship, he'd definitely ready to contribute, if not start.

Long term though I would imagine LDF is the better prospect, but you never know at the age of 18, he could be a regular for Fulham in a few years, or he could be playing in the English 5th tier or something. I would bet on the former, but we need to see how it plays out, whereas Holmes is pretty much a sure thing. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I’m more curious about the guys we might not even know about yet. Seems a lot of our dual national converts are guys we don’t even necessarily think about beforehand like Zack McGraw, so I think the first player to benefit from this law change is probably not even someone we know about. Just out of the American pool there has to be a ton of players. Probably some good players somewhere in Germany and the Netherlands who might find themselves suddenly Canadian.

We have to do a better job at doing what Mexico is doing to the USA on duals.

at this point the Mexican team is going to be born, trained and developed in the USA.

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

We have to do a better job at doing what Mexico is doing to the USA on duals.

at this point the Mexican team is going to be born, trained and developed in the USA.

It’s a lot easier for Mexican-Americans to feel American than it is for Canadian-Americans to feel Canadian, so I think Mexico will always have a much better time convincing good US-based players to play for them, even if some of those players are good enough for the US. I think realistically our best dual national American is going to be a guy like Aiden Morris who is fine, but would only play for us if he wasn’t good enough for USMNT which is limiting to an extent. The pool of “not good enough for Germany/England/etc but still excellent” is going to be a lot deeper for us, I would think. But I do hope that we can identify who those players are, regardless of where they currently live.

20 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Out of the 60 last players to be called up for Mexico, two were Americans (Alvarez and Araujo). And sorry to tell you that but what you suggest is pretty loser. 

15 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Considering Michael Petrasso went to Barnet in the 5th tier at the time and played pretty well while being one of the better CPLers at the time and Pepple's struggling in the national league I'd say so.

Petrasso was one of the better CPL players at any time?