Canadian Dual Nationals 2.0 Edition, Chase for the 5 stars

Dominic94

Who would Jebbison even surpass automatically in our depth charts? People pencil him in above Ugbo, but is that really the case? You take his one single Premier League goal from now 3 seasons ago, and what we see is a player who scored 7 league one goals and one championship goal at 20. Nothing to completely write off, but Ugbo has a better resume. Hell, Corbeanu has a better record at nearly the same age and he can’t even get on the roster. Jebbo is probably above JRR, but JRR has a lot more professional experience playing at higher levels and scoring. Cava has the Panenka. Brym is playing regular minutes in the Eredivisie. Simon Colyn is scoring regularly in the second div and is going for at the very least a good Eredivisie career. 

He’s at least for now a premier league player and I could never say no to a player like that who wants to join our pool, but I think I have him probably just above Brym and below Ugbo in our depth chart right now. Sheffield’s going down this year, and unless he comes out of nowhere to smash the second part of the season after missing months (?) with a mysterious illness, he will not be a premier league player by the next time we play consequential games (minus that T&T game I guess).

Edited by InglewoodJack

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Who would Jebbison even surpass automatically in our depth charts? People pencil him in above Ugbo, but is that really the case? You take his one single Premier League goal from now 3 seasons ago, and what we see is a player who scored 7 league one goals and one championship goal at 20. Nothing to completely write off, but Ugbo has a better resume. Hell, Corbeanu has a better record at nearly the same age and he can’t even get on the roster. Jebbo is probably above JRR, but JRR has a lot more professional experience playing at higher levels and scoring. Cava has the Panenka. Brym is playing regular minutes in the Eredivisie. Simon Colyn is scoring regularly in the second div and is going for at the very least a good Eredivisie career. 

He’s at least for now a premier league player and I could never say no to a player like that who wants to join our pool, but I think I have him probably just above Brym and below Ugbo in our depth chart right now. Sheffield’s going down this year, and unless he comes out of nowhere to smash the second part of the season after missing months (?) with a mysterious illness, he will not be a premier league player by the next time we play consequential games (minus that T&T game I guess).

I hate how true this is. 
The only thing I have to say is that player profiles could give him some benefits. Brym seems more like a David or colyn  comparison. It would be great if one of those 3 could turn into a CAM for canada in a 4-2-3-1. (not sure we want david there though).
Jebbo is more like larin and ugbo. Ugbo doesnt seem to contribute much more than poaching. I know he can run in behind as well but it doesnt seem like hes a big counter attack threat from what Ive seen. Jebbo might be a bit more between the two styles. Good hold up, can dribble more than ugbo, better at build up as well. 

It's just hard for me to see a scenario where we want brym on the field. Jebbo seems like he could start, ugbo seems like a super sub in a scenario like the jamaica game. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Who would Jebbison even surpass automatically in our depth charts? People pencil him in above Ugbo, but is that really the case? You take his one single Premier League goal from now 3 seasons ago, and what we see is a player who scored 7 league one goals and one championship goal at 20. Nothing to completely write off, but Ugbo has a better resume. Jebbo is probably above JRR, but JRR has a lot more professional experience playing at higher levels and scoring. Cava has the Panenka. Brym is playing regular minutes in the Eredivisie. Simon Colyn is scoring regularly in the second div and is going for at the very least a good Eredivisie career. 

For me it's not so much that he would be the undesputed 3rd option, it's moreso that I see a very straightforward path.

On paper that spot belongs to Ugbo, but in Biello's world he's behind Cavallini and Herdman never called him up once this year either. I hope that changes with a new coach, but you never know. I suppose I shouldn't speculate that Cav is done if I am treating things as they currently are, but on his current trajectory it's a pretty safe bet Lucas won't be contributing much longer.

And as mentioned JRR is playing at a lower level, which would be true whether or not Sheffield get relegated (which they should). Is Brym more wide forward than target man? Is Colyn more second forward than target man? I don't know, just seems to me that a few PL games and all of a sudden Jebbison is looking to be ahead of most of these guys in my mind. Depends on what he does with those minutes though, if he even gets them.

The main point is that we need him in the mix. I definitely wouldn't say we are screwed without him, but I also wouldn't see we don't need another striker. Yes, we need another striker when nobody else is grabbing that 3rd striker role with both hands at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

For me it's not so much that he would be the undesputed 3rd option, it's moreso that I see a very straightforward path.

On paper that spot belongs to Ugbo, but in Biello's world he's behind Cavallini and Herdman never called him up once this year either. I hope that changes with a new coach, but you never know. I suppose I shouldn't speculate that Cav is done if I am treating things as they currently are, but on his current trajectory it's a pretty safe bet Lucas won't be contributing much longer.

And as mentioned JRR is playing at a lower level, which would be true whether or not Sheffield get relegated (which they should). Is Brym more wide forward than target man? Is Colyn more second forward than target man? I don't know, just seems to me that a few PL games and all of a sudden Jebbison is looking to be ahead of most of these guys in my mind. Depends on what he does with those minutes though, if he even gets them.

The main point is that we need him in the mix. I definitely wouldn't say we are screwed without him, but I also wouldn't see we don't need another striker. Yes, we need another striker when nobody else is grabbing that 3rd striker role with both hands at the moment.

If jebbo starts the new year with a few minutes and goals, does he surpass larin who isnt scoring? The path does seem like it could happen quickly.

2 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

If jebbo starts the new year with a few minutes and goals, does he surpass larin who isnt scoring? The path does seem like it could happen quickly.

I am beginning to think Jebbison is a figment our collective imaginaton.   Last Sheffield United transfer update I saw said his return was still unknown. 

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Larin is not at risk of being dropped from the squad as he's playing well for Canada, despite his La Liga struggles.

I guess there is a world where Larin drops to the bench and Jebbison gets brought on instead, but so much has to happen to get to that point where it's in the realm of possibility. Just hard for me to imagine I guess. Larin has been a staple in this side for so long.

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

He might not be a premier league player, but there were also a ton of rumours surrounding a move in the summer to a different league given he could leave on a free transfer (I remember Dortmund, Leverkusen and maybe Juventus having some potential interest). Moving to one of these teams would be great for development (Dortmund in particular) and would still put him at 3rd striker for me.

49 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

He might not be a premier league player, but there were also a ton of rumours surrounding a move in the summer to a different league given he could leave on a free transfer (I remember Dortmund, Leverkusen and maybe Juventus having some potential interest). Moving to one of these teams would be great for development (Dortmund in particular) and would still put him at 3rd striker for me.

Rumours of a move but nothing materializes?

He would fit in nicely with the CANMNT

19 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Sali to Dallas is official:

https://x.com/tombogert/status/1731710066150052081?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Whats the earliest he can play for us again? Next fall?

Lol.  8 minute sub appearance in a game they had locked up, and then subsequently ignored for the next 2 years during the Euros and Nations League campaigns.  No doubt he will get Tomori'd and thrown another cynical lifeline just in time to eliminate any Canadian option.  What a fucking joke.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lol.  8 minute sub appearance in a game they had locked up, and then subsequently ignored for the next 2 years during the Euros and Nations League campaigns.  No doubt he will get Tomori'd and thrown another cynical lifeline just in time to eliminate any Canadian option.  What a fucking joke.  

There's been talk he's already committed to Canada. He was trying to join the U17 setup but couldn't due to the hostage shit. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Born and raised in Toronto...
Left to play in Europe at 11, and now is back in MLS at 17 and....counts as an international player on their roster. 

But somehow this is our league.
Let's hope FC Dallas has the lawyers to get him his green card next year. 

The announcement says that he was signed as a U22 initiative- doesn’t that give Dallas some flexibility with him? !95 sure how that works or how it affects international status. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

There's been talk he's already committed to Canada. He was trying to join the U17 setup but couldn't due to the hostage shit. 

?

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

Born and raised in Toronto...
Left to play in Europe at 11, and now is back in MLS at 17 and....counts as an international player on their roster. 

But somehow this is our league.
Let's hope FC Dallas has the lawyers to get him his green card next year. 

Canadians are internationals for US teams unless they’re from a CDN academy and that’s after a certain date.