CPL Stadium Thread

25 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Bold prediction;

• Hamilton & Winnipeg will stay at THF and IG field respectively forever (CFL ownership) 

• Pacific seem to have made a long term deal with the city of Langford, also the stadium is set to be expanded to 8,000 next year. Can’t see them leaving, as well As their brand new 5M dollar field house is also in the works.

• HFX seem very comfortable with Wanderers grounds, the location is beyond perfect. although I do hope that a small SSS is built there but only time will tell. Definitely looking at around 10-15M, if their fans demand it I don’t see why not - plus the cfl guys who are trying to put a team there - might not work out for them, could easily see a business opportunity here. Seeing it fill up every other weekend

• York 9 has publicly said they would build a 12-to-15,000 soccer specific stadium in the region after the clubs first 3 seasons 

• Has to be said - Cavalry has to move to the downtown / I hope with the success and interest in the city someone takes a vision to make that happen.

• Clarke stadium is not eternal - fc Edmonton need to revive the option of a new venue, it’s clear that centrally is the key - not too far to where they are right now 

Ownership makes any move out of Spruce Meadows inviable for Cavalry. Same for Pacific. Both would be better in a downtown location but their support where they are, in terms of investment, makes that unlikely. 

York has to change, as does Edmonton. Both are the least attractive venues as well for the league. Both need to get upgrades or new locations to radically improve fan experience. 

The rest, agreed.

Say what you like about Spruce Meadows I like it.  Pacific and HFX have done wonderfully with their venues.  Because of their size CPL Stadiums have the ability to have some real character. I'm looking forward to the imagination in their design.

Here are some ideas (maybe the capacity to be increased a little on these)

56 minutes ago, ted said:

And indeed, the beer garden on that side was packed.

So Ted, one of the clear upcurves for Pacific is that people are happy to have a beer in hand and stand a few deep on a long sideline. Which is I think very positive, considering it is a complement to the supporter section. It is standing, not chanting, but not sitting quietly either in a designated seat.

What does it suggest to you about future configurations of Westhills?

First, since anyone from any section can go to the beer garden, it is interesting as it cuts across pricing--I assume people are there who have paid for main grandstand, and others who maybe paid the lower prices of end zones.

Second, how do you preserve it or set it up next year? Do you price it specifically, or call it general admission? And allow fans there to then go sit in a GA section when they feel like it?

Are there restrictions on kids being in the beer garden? I was not sure they were disallowed, were they? 

If you were to make the move to build the stand on that side, where would your beer garden fans go? To the lower part of a supporter section perhaps?

21 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First, since anyone from any section can go to the beer garden, it is interesting as it cuts across pricing--I assume people are there who have paid for main grandstand, and others who maybe paid the lower prices of end zones.

Second, how do you preserve it or set it up next year? Do you price it specifically, or call it general admission? And allow fans there to then go sit in a GA section when they feel like it?

Are there restrictions on kids being in the beer garden? I was not sure they were disallowed, were they? 

If you were to make the move to build the stand on that side, where would your beer garden fans go? To the lower part of a supporter section perhaps?

Good questions. 

Yes, the beer garden is open to all and I have spoken to a few people who had tickets in the grandstand but I think most are from the GA sections at either end. The area is restricted to 19+ and has a security guard checking ID's at the only entrance.

When they build that stand I don't know where they will go. Many are probably GA tickets in the Supporters end already and may simply migrate that way. No one gives us a hassle about standing on or around those aluminum bleachers in the supporters end.

I guess if I was designing the stand I would leave a beer garden at field level in front of the stand in the corner that I would then raise up slightly. Of course if I was designing things I would have included rail seating in the new stand in the West end. Missed opportunity there.

• 1 month later...

York9 President Announces Big Changes For 2020

The next big change coming for the Nine Stripes is that the supporters’ section is moving from the north end: Preben states that isolating the most vocal supporters from the rest of the crowd hasn’t been a practical move.

Ganzhorn did state that aside of the track, however, a new configuration to improve the gameday experience inside the stadium would be awaiting fans in the near future. This will include a gate at the southern end of the stadium being opened to alleviate the bottleneck of fans entering through the stadium’s north side.

https://northerntribune.ca/york9-fc-2020-changes/

Apparently the east side seating will not be used/be gone so capacity will be 3700 roughly plus the VIP tents/race car seats if they still use them next season, likely just under or around 4000 approximately.

On 10/19/2019 at 3:53 PM, Initial B said:

Didn't the CPL say teams needed to break 5000 per game to be sustainable? How are they going to not lose money with only 60% of that number?

The number I remember hearing was 4000 but the point still stands. 

This isn't the long term solution.  Even if York Lions Stadium was the permanent home you could always put the stands back as they are needed.  The goal is to create a better atmosphere and there is no question full stands do that better than half empty stands (or completely empty on the west side).  People who go to the games hopefully have a better experience and Y9 can start to create some more buzz. 

Ownership has always said that they want to build their own SSS.  Aside from winning games, trying to create as strong a game-day experience as possible should be the #1 priority of ownership before opening a stadium.  These changes move things in a positive direction at the present time. 

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wow, big move.

12,000 at RAP for a national team game or Canadian Championship game would be incredible, and I love that they're partnering with such a historic club in the city. I wish they had done that initially.

Are the Highlanders not the League 1 BC club rumoured for Victoria? I'm surprised they're not mentioned.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There is actually just one doubt, about running the pitch that way, horizontal across what was the traditional position. Does that give a long enough, FIFA regulation pitch?

With how they have it drawn I think it's over 100 m in length

51 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Pretty cool. Bit confused with what happens to Westhills long term with the money they have put into that stadium. 

Looks like they're planning the next phase - downtown, expandable to 12K, grass pitch. It's not right now, but imagine if they start getting close to the Wanderers' crowd's they'll be busting at the seams at Westhills plus they still have the hydro pole and other nonsense to deal with.