Sign in to follow this  
Macksam

CPL Stadium Thread

On 8/23/2019 at 12:36 AM, Cheeta said:

Since we're talking IGF here's a question that's been in my head for a while now.  Why have the soccer pitch half way line at the gridiron half way line?  It looks like there is enough sideline room that for soccer they could shift the half line either north or south 15 yards, just to bring the one end goal line right up to back of the CLF endzone, and on that one end at least bring the end stands right up to the soccer goal line.  Seat angles maybe not being ideal?  I dont' know, but for Valour matches it would be awesome having say the north goal stands almost right on top of the goal line. 

Probably television, because the camera bays are designed for the middle of the field to be in the middle of the stadium. Any shifting would alter angles, presumably for the worse.

Also, most modern venues have been set up so the posh seats (and all that come with it, including fancy club boxes, etc.) are in the middle so shifting the field wouldn't allow Valour to charge a premium for those seats as their vantage points would become "worse" as well.

In short, the answer is always $$$.

On 8/27/2019 at 10:38 PM, Ansem said:

Barca B new stadium

I was there this evening, for a Barça b draw vs. Tarragona. 

It is pleasant, but has some important flaws in terms of fan experience. It is the typical stadium that looks right as a drawn design but is weak when it comes to being an effective place for fans to support a team.

Bold prediction;

• Hamilton & Winnipeg will stay at THF and IG field respectively forever (CFL ownership) 

• Pacific seem to have made a long term deal with the city of Langford, also the stadium is set to be expanded to 8,000 next year. Can’t see them leaving, as well As their brand new 5M dollar field house is also in the works.

• HFX seem very comfortable with Wanderers grounds, the location is beyond perfect. although I do hope that a small SSS is built there but only time will tell. Definitely looking at around 10-15M, if their fans demand it I don’t see why not - plus the cfl guys who are trying to put a team there - might not work out for them, could easily see a business opportunity here. Seeing it fill up every other weekend

• York 9 has publicly said they would build a 12-to-15,000 soccer specific stadium in the region after the clubs first 3 seasons 

• Has to be said - Cavalry has to move to the downtown / I hope with the success and interest in the city someone takes a vision to make that happen.

• Clarke stadium is not eternal - fc Edmonton need to revive the option of a new venue, it’s clear that centrally is the key - not too far to where they are right now 

25 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Bold prediction;

• Hamilton & Winnipeg will stay at THF and IG field respectively forever (CFL ownership) 

• Pacific seem to have made a long term deal with the city of Langford, also the stadium is set to be expanded to 8,000 next year. Can’t see them leaving, as well As their brand new 5M dollar field house is also in the works.

• HFX seem very comfortable with Wanderers grounds, the location is beyond perfect. although I do hope that a small SSS is built there but only time will tell. Definitely looking at around 10-15M, if their fans demand it I don’t see why not - plus the cfl guys who are trying to put a team there - might not work out for them, could easily see a business opportunity here. Seeing it fill up every other weekend

• York 9 has publicly said they would build a 12-to-15,000 soccer specific stadium in the region after the clubs first 3 seasons 

• Has to be said - Cavalry has to move to the downtown / I hope with the success and interest in the city someone takes a vision to make that happen.

• Clarke stadium is not eternal - fc Edmonton need to revive the option of a new venue, it’s clear that centrally is the key - not too far to where they are right now 

Ownership makes any move out of Spruce Meadows inviable for Cavalry. Same for Pacific. Both would be better in a downtown location but their support where they are, in terms of investment, makes that unlikely. 

York has to change, as does Edmonton. Both are the least attractive venues as well for the league. Both need to get upgrades or new locations to radically improve fan experience. 

The rest, agreed.

Say what you like about Spruce Meadows I like it.  Pacific and HFX have done wonderfully with their venues.  Because of their size CPL Stadiums have the ability to have some real character. I'm looking forward to the imagination in their design.

Here are some ideas (maybe the capacity to be increased a little on these)

1 minute ago, SkuseisLoose said:

So pacific for the game vs York 9 have removed the family stand bleachers. Assume those people who bought tickets there have been put in the stand behind the goal.

Looks better and with a capacity still around the 5100 mark they're not really needed.

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think you need standing room on the hydro pole side factored in for it to be as high as 5100 at this point.

And indeed, the beer garden on that side was packed.

56 minutes ago, ted said:

And indeed, the beer garden on that side was packed.

So Ted, one of the clear upcurves for Pacific is that people are happy to have a beer in hand and stand a few deep on a long sideline. Which is I think very positive, considering it is a complement to the supporter section. It is standing, not chanting, but not sitting quietly either in a designated seat.

What does it suggest to you about future configurations of Westhills?

First, since anyone from any section can go to the beer garden, it is interesting as it cuts across pricing--I assume people are there who have paid for main grandstand, and others who maybe paid the lower prices of end zones.

Second, how do you preserve it or set it up next year? Do you price it specifically, or call it general admission? And allow fans there to then go sit in a GA section when they feel like it?

Are there restrictions on kids being in the beer garden? I was not sure they were disallowed, were they? 

If you were to make the move to build the stand on that side, where would your beer garden fans go? To the lower part of a supporter section perhaps?

21 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

First, since anyone from any section can go to the beer garden, it is interesting as it cuts across pricing--I assume people are there who have paid for main grandstand, and others who maybe paid the lower prices of end zones.

Second, how do you preserve it or set it up next year? Do you price it specifically, or call it general admission? And allow fans there to then go sit in a GA section when they feel like it?

Are there restrictions on kids being in the beer garden? I was not sure they were disallowed, were they? 

If you were to make the move to build the stand on that side, where would your beer garden fans go? To the lower part of a supporter section perhaps?

Good questions. 

Yes, the beer garden is open to all and I have spoken to a few people who had tickets in the grandstand but I think most are from the GA sections at either end. The area is restricted to 19+ and has a security guard checking ID's at the only entrance.

When they build that stand I don't know where they will go. Many are probably GA tickets in the Supporters end already and may simply migrate that way. No one gives us a hassle about standing on or around those aluminum bleachers in the supporters end.

I guess if I was designing the stand I would leave a beer garden at field level in front of the stand in the corner that I would then raise up slightly. Of course if I was designing things I would have included rail seating in the new stand in the West end. Missed opportunity there.