CPL Stadium Thread

It's definitely not easy to get to Centennial by TTC, so you are looking at most of the fanbase arriving by car at that point at a location that isn't necessarily the best from that standpoint due to limited access through a residential area and parking. Woodbine has been mentioned in the past where new stadia for the Argos and/or soccer are concerned. It would take things out into 905 sort of territory, which arguably isn't catered to all that well by BMO Field, so maybe the ideal place for a pop-up, if somebody had the money and inclination to do that sort of thing and could get a good deal on the land. Personally hoped the Argos would see sense and do something like that given that's the side of the GTA where their fanbase tends to be rather than barge their way into a 30,000 seat BMO Field, which was always likely to be too big for them and make them look bad on TSN broadcasts.

55 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

Why even mention this at this point? It's been over 7 years since the stadium debate, 5 years since the facility was built at the site of the old Ivor Wynne and 2 years since the Pan Ams.

ha. I guess I never let it go.

I don't know if it's been mentioned,  but it's not really the same to compare MLS starting up in NFL stadiums, to CPL starting up in CFL stadiums. It's not like they're the 60-80k monsters they have down there. Still big, yes, but a lot easier to grow into.

Don't know how many know this on here,  but Rugby Canada is playing a world cup qualifier against USA this summer at THF. Right now just the lower stands are open. So while hopefully that fills up, we'll still get a good look at what the atmosphere will be like with a lot less than 24k in there.

13 hours ago, Macksam said:

What if Saskatoon has to play a Champions League game in February? Minus 40? Have you ever been in a city where it's so cold that you have to use the     brush to scrape ice off inside the car? ?

I haven't lived in a cold enough city, but I've had crappy enough cars...

But don't use your brush, use a plastic card (like a TFC discount card, or an expired metro pass). Works MUCH better on the inside of a windshield.

On 13/04/2017 at 0:00 AM, Macksam said:

What if Saskatoon has to play a Champions League game in February? Minus 40? Have you ever been in a city where it's so cold that you have to use the     brush to scrape ice off inside the car? ?

Doesn't this even things out with those damn Mexican altitudes?

3 hours ago, matty said:

Everyone is thinking too small. I personally think something similar to Rungrado 1st of May Stadium in Pyongyang would work great for cpl action. Could seat like 75% of Saskatoon and it has a track so it's super useful to the community.

rungrado-1st-of-may-stadium-design-1455694136-800.jpg

During halftime we could hold the Saskatoon Mass Games......

12 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This is the Tissot Arena in Biel-Bienne Switzerland, easily the most ostentatious 5K stadium in the world.  Just 5 rows deep all the way around.  Could probably get the same number of people a view of the game using lawn chairs in a park but hey, it looks nice

Tissot ArenaTissot ArenaTissot Arena

The top picture looks like a library with insect antennae.  The second picture looks like a very nice training ground.  

I'm going by what I've seen on TV and google maps only, but the bottom picture reminds me of Saputo how the roof covers almost two whole rows of seats.  Other than the el cheapo roof, I quite like Saputo.

15 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

The top picture looks like a library with insect antennae.  The second picture looks like a very nice training ground.  

I'm going by what I've seen on TV and google maps only, but the bottom picture reminds me of Saputo how the roof covers almost two whole rows of seats.  Other than the el cheapo roof, I quite like Saputo.

USL era Saputo was a good, cost-effective build.  Used that existing concrete stand to save money.  A good idea for other teams to take a facility with some existing infrastructure and add to it.