CPL Stadium Thread

21 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

in 3-5 years time if the CanPL have stadiums like this would be amazing 

1st stadium belongs to ODDs 

2nd Stadium belongs to AC Horsens 

3rd Stadium belongs to Aalesunds FK 

4th Stadium belongs to FC Midtjylland

Those are all beautiful, and are proof that when it comes to football grounds, simple is best.  Four covered grandstands and a nice pitch with washrooms and enough beer to go around, and Bob's your uncle.  There's no need for all sorts of weird roof angles like that thing in Denver.   

On 4/12/2017 at 3:43 PM, Marc said:

Yeah, getting to Estadio Centennial by bus was a pain for both Lynx fans and players :)

Getting to Centennial should be a lot easier in the near future. The mississauga portion is pretty close to complete. If there is express service from Kipling subway should be pretty decent travel. This station would be only a few minutes from Centennial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renforth_Gateway

1 hour ago, masster said:

I was in Phoenix Rising's pop up stadium last night, and that is the way to go. Create something size appropriate and intimate on a small budget. Prove that it is a necessity for the city. Go from there. If Halifax can recreate what Phoenix has done, they will be in good shape.

How were the stadium ammenities and did anyone seem to care it was a budget build?

2 hours ago, Alex D said:

How were the stadium ammenities and did anyone seem to care it was a budget build?

Did anybody mind? Not that I could tell. My brother and I really enjoyed it. It was like a combination of Empire and Swangard.

We stood in the GA supporters stand. Not many amenities. No video board. Sound system was below average. We couldn't understand the halftime announcements when they were unveiling Drogba. Washrooms were porta potties. Concessions were mainly food trucks. The other side of the stadium had some enclosed areas that must have been luxury boxes. Same for a broadcast booth. Ticket booth was a portable. I walked around the whole stadium and didn't see any merchandise tent or vendors. Parking was in the empty desert lot beside the practice field.

Despite all of those 'deficiencies' I would happily go again.

On April 24, 2017 at 9:08 PM, masster said:

Did anybody mind? Not that I could tell. My brother and I really enjoyed it. It was like a combination of Empire and Swangard.

We stood in the GA supporters stand. Not many amenities. No video board. Sound system was below average. We couldn't understand the halftime announcements when they were unveiling Drogba. Washrooms were porta potties. Concessions were mainly food trucks. The other side of the stadium had some enclosed areas that must have been luxury boxes. Same for a broadcast booth. Ticket booth was a portable. I walked around the whole stadium and didn't see any merchandise tent or vendors. Parking was in the empty desert lot beside the practice field.

Despite all of those 'deficiencies' I would happily go again.

I would like the Toronto CPL stadium to take it a step further in the unappealing department with shoddy construction, zero concessions, uncomfortable seating and door-less washroom stalls so people have to shit out in the open. We'll make going to a game as unpleasant as someone heading to an old Italian Serie A stadium or worse, seeing a Stampeders game at McMahon in the 1990s.

Edited by Macksam

^ I get that post is tongue in cheek, but just because the stadium has no modern amenities, doesn't mean it wasn't a nice little stadium.

The pitch was great. The stands were close to the field. It was surrounded on all 4 sides which made a bunch of bleachers actually feel like a stadium. It was intimate. The atmosphere created by the supporters spread throughout the ground.

We could do a lot worse.

• 1 month later...

How do us grand river folk feel about a centennial revival as a stadium location. It has lots of parking, high way accessibility, and will be a 5-10 minute walk away from a GRT ION stop. It will also already be zoned properly(right?). The track isn't in use anymore so it can be taken out. Space worries me a bit, however I looked it up and the little stands there on the diamond hold ~1500 people so we should be fine.   

Hg0NNLb.jpgHXlSpBh.jpg

I'm not in Waterloo region anymore, but I'd like Centennial from a sentimental point of view. I went to my first pro game there, Kitchener Kickers in 1991, although I don't remember who they were playing against, or what the score was. My youth soccer team were ball boys. I'd also like Centennial from the point of view of someone that now lives in Toronto, and would like to catch a game or two (either to support a Toronto team if it exists, or just to support KW if there isn't a Toronto team). Like you said, nice and accessible from the highway.

Edited by Kent

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm not in Waterloo region anymore, but I'd like Centennial from a sentimental point of view. I went to my first pro game there, Kitchener Kickers in 1991, although I don't remember who they were playing against, or what the score was. My youth soccer team were ball boys. I'd also like Centennial from the point of view of someone that now lives in Toronto, and would like to catch a game or two (either to support a Toronto team if it exists, or just to support KW if there isn't a Toronto team). Like you said, nice and accessible from the highway.

i remember when the grand stand was still up how great it was for track and field events. I also had football practice there and it was a nice accessible area for the region. We would also have a potential great partnership with 2 sports teams squished up beside.

4 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

i remember when the grand stand was still up how great it was for track and field events. I also had football practice there and it was a nice accessible area for the region. We would also have a potential great partnership with 2 sports teams squished up beside.

Wow missed that the grandstand was gone.  Ran track there in high school.  Also met Lennox Lewis there.  None of this has much to do with anything.

Just now, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I train at his gym so we're practically related :P 

I met him the year after the Olympics, just showed up at whatever the meet was called.  I was super pumped though  being the sport geek I am lol

43 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I met him the year after the Olympics, just showed up at whatever the meet was called.  I was super pumped though  being the sport geek I am lol

I remember taking a summer school course at his old high school. Walking the halls and found a board that had all the school track and field records. This would have been in the mid-nineties. I looked through the records and saw that there was one that was much older than all the others (I think the only one from the 80's). Looked at the name and sport. Lennox Lewis, shot put. It made sense that record would stick for a while :)

Edited by Kent
Spelling

Love the idea of Centennial. I have been hammering the City to fix it. They keep saying changes are "coming".

Interestingly, next door Jack Couch Park is on the verge of being vacant. The Panthers are desperate for a new stadium. So that's interesting because it gives Centennial more space or even would allow the field to be built in there, like Portland.

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

Love the idea of Centennial. I have been hammering the City to fix it. They keep saying changes are "coming".

Interestingly, next door Jack Couch Park is on the verge of being vacant. The Panthers are desperate for a new stadium. So that's interesting because it gives Centennial more space or even would allow the field to be built in there, like Portland.

I'm pretty sure Jack Couch Park is too small(look at the pictures I posted compared to the soccer field right beside it). However the stands could be useful as additional seating outside of what they do/might built. I'm going to work a little in photoshop in the next couple days to make a little plan for the area. Sadly I think the replaced the grass with turf a couple years back. 

15 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I'm pretty sure Jack Couch Park is too small(look at the pictures I posted compared to the soccer field right beside it). However the stands could be useful as additional seating outside of what they do/might built. I'm going to work a little in photoshop in the next couple days to make a little plan for the area. Sadly I think the replaced the grass with turf a couple years back. 

I think it is still grass. They got really close and then I emailed them and showed up at all their little meetings and said KEEP IT GRASS. Soccer fields are the most rented product from the city and it is the biggest earner for the city as well. It's hard to get a good field so I pushed them on keeping at least one grass field available. That's the last I heard. We rented it last year for a Grand River Invitational between KW United and random players.

Duane Rollins suggested there is a place on Union? I think that would be a great spot too, but I don't know where they find space. There have been rumours coming out of Sunlife. So I wonder if they mean that big parking lot there? Would be massive. Right on the LRT line and close to the core.

5 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

I think it is still grass. They got really close and then I emailed them and showed up at all their little meetings and said KEEP IT GRASS. Soccer fields are the most rented product from the city and it is the biggest earner for the city as well. It's hard to get a good field so I pushed them on keeping at least one grass field available. That's the last I heard. We rented it last year for a Grand River Invitational between KW United and random players.

Duane Rollins suggested there is a place on Union? I think that would be a great spot too, but I don't know where they find space. There have been rumours coming out of Sunlife. So I wonder if they mean that big parking lot there? Would be massive. Right on the LRT line and close to the core.

You're a local hero for sticking up for the grass. Where is the sunlife parking lot again?, I can't remember of the top of my head. Only problem I see there is zone changing which wouldn't be a problem at centennial. I would be happy with either, the big things are: close to the core, LRT accessible and expressway accessible.   

I wish I could take credit. From the park manager it sounded like no one else cared. So they decided to not spend any money when they can't get anyone to care. That was 2014. haven't heard a thing since. Messaged my Councillor too, nothing happening. 

Capture.PNG

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

I wish I could take credit. From the park manager it sounded like no one else cared. So they decided to not spend any money when they can't get anyone to care. That was 2014. haven't heard a thing since. Messaged my Councillor too, nothing happening. 

Capture.PNG

Hmm, I wonder where on union then. The parking lot is used way to used for it to be taken out IMO.Breithaupt maybe? My place backs off onto the grand across from Breslau so I won't be close regardless of location. :( 

1 minute ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

The extras 35 acres that don't have a plan are perfect for a stadium, especially with an indoor training facility right there. Also city council already on "our" side. Where is this? Close to downtown? 

Sadly way to bloody far. Fischer-Hallman and Huron. Basically Doon. Whole property comes out to 76 acres. Saying that, it sounds like they would then shutdown Budd Park.... :(