CPL Stadium Thread

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Not sure what the budget is but I was hoping for something a little more permanent looking. 

They are saying this is a three year stadium. If it's a success after the first two then they will try to have something more substantial in place by year 4. 

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

Not sure what the budget is but I was hoping for something a little more permanent looking. 

Honestly, the thing that still worries me to no end about this is the portapotties.

You want a professional league with a great game-day experience?  You can't rely on portapotties.

5 minutes ago, Alex D said:

They are saying this is a three year stadium. If it's a success after the first two then they will try to have something more substantial in place by year 4. 

It makes sense but I also think that having a nice stadium from the start plays a role in finding a fan base. 

5 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

New York Stadium - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Stadium

Opened: 2012

Capacity: 12,021

Cost £6.5, million

rotherham_new_york2.jpg[

rotherham_new_york1.jpg

Something like this stadium or even the San Antonio Scorpions stadium feels more like a D1 stadium. I remember bringing my "euro snob" friends to Stade Saputo when it opened and they were blown away. 

6 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Honestly, the thing that still worries me to no end about this is the portapotties.

You want a professional league with a great game-day experience?  You can't rely on portapotties.

Portapotties aren't ideal but it beats building permanent bathroom facilities for a stadium that may not be there in three years.  If people don't go to the games because of portapotties than the team most likely wasn't bound to succeed anyways lol

Yeah, as much as portapotties and a temp stadium at the outset may not be ideal, I can't blame investors for expecting the city to demonstrate some loyalty/enthusiasm before funding infrastructure that is probably an order of magnitude greater than what is required for the kind of temp stadium they are contemplating.  From my perspective, the SEA folks are doing their fair share in making this happen.  The city and potential supporters (speaking broadly - the early involvement of the supporters group has been great) will need to step up and do their part by demonstrating the long term viability of the club that warrants longer term investment..

16 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

There were portapotties at Empire Field in Vancouver and that was MLS. The Halifax stadium is a temporary stadium just like Vancouver's was. Temporary bathrooms for a temporary stadium.

Sure, by season 3, doing your business in a portapottie will be tiring, but by then, hopefully there will be a more permanent plan on the horizon.

On 02/03/2017 at 9:35 PM, Ivanovski94 said:

That Moldovan one looks like a small version of La Bombonera with that tall but shallow stand.  (or the Michelin rugby stadium in Clermont, France or Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria).  Weird, but cool.  

On 31/03/2017 at 9:49 AM, Rheo said:

Portapotties aren't ideal but it beats building permanent bathroom facilities for a stadium that may not be there in three years.  If people don't go to the games because of portapotties than the team most likely wasn't bound to succeed anyways lol

They could stick with the temporary stadium idea, but build nice permanent washrooms.  If the stadium comes down, it's still the Wanderers' Grounds, and they'll need something better than a tree.

On 31/03/2017 at 9:32 AM, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

some more recent smaller grounds I like in the UK.

Broadhurst Park - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadhurst_Park

Opened: 2015

Capacity: 4,400

Cost £6.5 million

fc-united-broadhurst-park-manchester-145

01.jpg

I love this.  This small, enclosed, intimate ground is much nicer than something that's a little bigger but has an open end with a sprawling beer garden so people walking down the street can stand there and watch.  Open ended grounds are a bit mickey mouse.  However, at this point I'll take what I can get for any team in Canada.  

On 05/04/2017 at 5:51 AM, SuperCanuck said:

I love this.  This small, enclosed, intimate ground is much nicer than something that's a little bigger but has an open end with a sprawling beer garden so people walking down the street can stand there and watch.  Open ended grounds are a bit mickey mouse.  However, at this point I'll take what I can get for any team in Canada.  

I was hoping that was Halifax was going for

18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Too far. Might as well build a temporary stadium like Empire Field either somewhere midtown or near Bloor/danforth 

I question if you'd be able to do so. Might be better off renovating somewhere even in the burbs

Edited by matty

26 minutes ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

Toronto's CPL Club could play at York U Stadium 

IMG_8734.PNG

As I have pointed out previously, look at how narrow the pitch would be on google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7751135,-79.506476,178m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

You need several extra yards either side of a Canadian football gridiron to have enough width to avoid a severely congested midfield that completely kills the entertainment value. That extra width simply isn't available at York University stadium, so it's not suitable for pro level soccer. You need something like the setup at Landsdowne Park in Ottawa where the extra space has been left to provide more than 10 yards between the corner flag and the penalty box before a Canadian football field becomes somewhat suitable (as long as there is no crown and the football teams don't wear down the extra space that is needed when they are standing on it watching their games):

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.398343,-75.6839589,173m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Burbs won't have the same seeing potential than inside the city

I think there are burbs that are not bad (like Scarborough) but agree it might hinder you. The issue with DT/Bloor-Danforth Line is, aside from Lamport, there's not really any where to put it and those that might seem doable will likely not want it. You can find spots at the edge of the lines but by then you're in the burbs

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, matty said:

I think there are burbs that are not bad (like Scarborough) but agree it might hinder you. The issue with DT/Bloor-Danforth Line is, aside from Lamport, there's not really any where to put it and those that might seem doable will likely not want it. You can find spots at the edge of the lines but by then you're in the burbs

There's land. We just don't know where and if the city would allow a stadium there ... zoning, urban plan fit etc...

A prospective investor would seek it out.

19 hours ago, Ansem said:

No. Bad location. The easier the access, the more people will go. This isn't the case here

Thats what I said. However people disputed that it is a good location by saying its close to airport, but thats the only plus. Yes, it's in Etobicoke, but when I went there for a training session last year I felt like I was driving to Missisissausage. 

I think if you're going that far out...you might as well plan a popup stadium on the massive unused land (owned by OLG?) that you can see right off the 427 that is adjacent to the Woodbine Race Track. (GTA peeps will know what I'm talking about).

Edited by Jahinho Guerro