Adonijah Reid

Vince193

I think the explanation is quite simple. He's trying to gun for a first team place with FC Dallas, and the team's pre season  and training camp is well under way right now. He's doing well and the coaches are evaluating him. He's not going to risk that for the U20 Championship and I'm sure the CSA's staff were well aware of that when making the selections.

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

He's not our typical Canadian style hold up striker, is why he's probably been overlooked.

Gale brought Dylan Carreiro through the ranks. From what I have seen, he doesn't really go for the traditional holdup striker. Which I think was one of the reasons that we didn't use Cyle Larin effectively at u-20 level last cycle.

20 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I think the explanation is quite simple. He's trying to gun for a first team place with FC Dallas, and the team's pre season  and training camp is well under way right now. He's doing well and the coaches are evaluating him. He's not going to risk that for the U20 Championship and I'm sure the CSA's staff were well aware of that when making the selections.

Apparently he isnt eligible to be a first team player due to US labour law. He wont be until he is 18. He will have to play in Canada this year or with the Academy.

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

Gale brought Dylan Carreiro through the ranks. From what I have seen, he doesn't really go for the traditional holdup striker. Which I think was one of the reasons that we didn't use Cyle Larin effectively at u-20 level last cycle.

...Jordan Hamilton? Definitely a hold up striker.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Apparently he isnt eligible to be a first team player due to US labour law. He wont be until he is 18. He will have to play in Canada this year or with the Academy.

Labour law? or FIFA rule.....

Nevertheless the FIFA rule, could be void due to MLS being classified as Canada's D1 League.

I also don't think this is an issue, or MLS wouldn't have signed him to a GA deal. And he'll be 18 in may, so think this is a moot point.

16 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

...Jordan Hamilton? Definitely a hold up striker.

I believe we would have started with Dylan Carriero if he had been available. That cycle he had Jay Hams and Cyle Larin, Carriero, Petrasso and Aird were held back by their clubs if I remember correctly.

We had invested a lot less in that cycle. So I don't think he had the depth that he has this cycle. From what I have seen of Shaan Hundal he isn't a "Hold up striker". Neither is Zanatta or Uccello. Sigue would be the only one of the current crop I would put in there. 

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Labour law? or FIFA rule.....

Nevertheless the FIFA rule, could be void due to MLS being classified as Canada's D1 League.

I also don't think this is an issue, or MLS wouldn't have signed him to a GA deal. And he'll be 18 in may, so think this is a moot point.

I dont know the details but this was directly reported by two FCDallas PR media people a few days ago and came straight from the organization

It's a FIFA statute, a minor cannot move to play outside of his home nation for footballing purposes (the family would need to move for non-football reasons). It stands to reason that Reid will likely not be able to play for either FC Dallas nor their USL affiliate until his 18th bday - he could be loaned to a Canadian club however.

I would have thought he would not have been able to sign a contract either, but it's possible the league got around this by creating a Canadian subsidiary and Reid signing with the subsidiary (to legally sign with a "Canadian" league).

Omar Salgado was allowed to play outside the United States (in Vancouver) despite being under 18. IIRC, he got around the FIFA statute because MLS is recognized as the same top flight for both countries.

With that in mind, I don't see why Reid wouldn't be able to take advantage of the same "loophole."

Edited by RS

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

I dont know the details but this was directly reported by two FCDallas PR media people a few days ago and came straight from the organization

Provide the links please. I tried googling this and couldn't find anything.

Anyhow, my original point stands. If you look at the Canadians with realistic shots of getting MLS first team contracts or the ones that are already in the first team fold but under 20, like Malick Johnson, Alfonso Davies and Shamit Shome, they aren't apart of this squad as well. A few of us were even questioning why Shaan Hundal wasn't invited to the first team training camp for TFC and that answered itself when he got selected for the U20 squad.

Edited by Macksam

You can watch Reid play last 35min as a number 9 vs Racing below (starts at -41min mark). He played well, some good give and goes and a great scoring chance in the box faking far post then rifling a shot off the near post that frooze the keeper in his boots. He reminds me a bit of Obafemi Martins, a great first touch to turn a defender or get separation then sets up follow on runners w flick-ons to get in behind defenders. Actually the way he stands reminds me of Oba in that he holds his head slightly back and his posture makes you (and sometimes his teammates!) think he's not ready to receive the ball and is almost uninterested, but he can go from standing erect to a sprint to pounce on a pass in a heartbeat.. interesting player.

Edited by miel de maple

23 hours ago, Macksam said:

Provide the links please. I tried googling this and couldn't find anything.

Was reported on a video chat a week ago by the two media guys and then was discussed on Reddit / MLS thereafter. I'm way too lazy to chase down the links though 

• 3 weeks later...

Reid scored in a friendly against River Plate, ended 1-1. He also had an assist in a friendly between FCD reserves vs SMU Mustangs. Does the fact that he's already signed to a gen adidas contract not mean he's already on the roster? I'm assuming he's on the roster until he's loaned o a USL team.

11 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Does the fact that he's already signed to a gen adidas contract not mean he's already on the roster? I'm assuming he's on the roster until he's loaned o a USL team.

One would have to believe so, especially since he's been staking his claim. 

However, I think the issue that surrounds him is that he is 17 and can't play in for the first team until he turns 18. This is due to FIFA's "trafficking rule"

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2017 at 0:31 PM, Kent said:

And he doesn't turn 18 until August according to MLS website. Although, the website could be wrong, based on the picture they have for him.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/adonijah-reid

Who is that guy?

This is what he looks like:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/01/mls-superdraft-2017-adonijah-reid-canada-ynt?autoplay=true