Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

22 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

As a side note. I am finding it very amusing to watch Will Johnson get embarrassed at full back against Davies and Telfer. Johnson is good, but man are our next generation of players so much better.

Yeah, when I saw the highlights (missed the game) I started wondering if Will Johnson actually joined Canada Soccer in some sort of marketing role. He's making our players look really good!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone penciling Johnson in at RB on their line up builder app should watch that last game.  Davies is good, but I can just imagine Costa Rican or mexican wingers blowing by Johnson just as easily.  Will might be cover at RB but he isnt the solution.  

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

You’re calling Spain the best league in the world and saying I’m biased? Okay bud - that’s not a debate anyone here wants to have. 

The comment reeks of Anglo bias yet I referenced Hugo Sanchez and Marquez who both played in Spain?  You’re just hyper sensitive to anything to do with English football.. very strange. Never mind the fact I rate him based off play at Leverkusen and Mexico... 

Sorry but it’s just a fact.. you’ll find a lot more people saying Chicharito was world class than Valdés.

I like that: UEFA says according to their statistical coefficients Spain is the best league in Europe, and me reiterating it is bias.

But stats showing Javier Hernández has worse numbers over a shorter relevant career, when he played for teams that dominated and scored and it was easier to have better numbers: well let's just ignore them. 

Julio Cesar Dely Valdés was a more complete and dangerous striker for a  longer period on tougher teams to score with, with a more significant impact, and in a harder league.  His numbers are far superior overall. The only reason people don't accept this is because they suck EPL and especially Man Utd big, and buy the skewed Chicharito hype. Now that is bias.

The point, of course, is that how the hell are a bunch of biased, soccer ignorant Canadians going to judge what Concacaf has or not produced of worth, when we are totally ignorant of most of the region? 

BTW, to everyone: the whole idea that Hutchinson has a better legacy than De Guzman, where the hell are you getting that from? Julian has a far more illustrious career than Hutch, who never played in a top league. I mean, he's amazing, what he's done is extraordinary. But for me even arguing that Hutch and Radz are the references for Canadian talent is plain wrong.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Anyone penciling Johnson in at RB on their line up builder app should watch that last game.  Davies is good, but I can just imagine Costa Rican or mexican wingers blowing by Johnson just as easily.  Will might be cover at RB but he isnt the solution.  

He'd need some double team midfield support in much the same way he supported Ledgerwood at the GC a few years back vs the US in Detroit.

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I like that: UEFA says according to their statistical coefficients Spain is the best league in Europe, and me reiterating it is bias.

But stats showing Javier Hernández has worse numbers over a shorter relevant career, when he played for teams that dominated and scored and it was easier to have better numbers: well let's just ignore them. 

Julio Cesar Dely Valdés was a more complete and dangerous striker for a  longer period on tougher teams to score with, with a more significant impact, and in a harder league.  His numbers are far superior overall. The only reason people don't accept this is because they suck EPL and especially Man Utd big, and buy the skewed Chicharito hype. Now that is bias.

The point, of course, is that how the hell are a bunch of biased, soccer ignorant Canadians going to judge what Concacaf has or not produced of worth, when we are totally ignorant of most of the region? 

BTW, to everyone: the whole idea that Hutchinson has a better legacy than De Guzman, where the hell are you getting that from? Julian has a far more illustrious career than Hutch, who never played in a top league. I mean, he's amazing, what he's done is extraordinary. But for me even arguing that Hutch and Radz are the references for Canadian talent is plain wrong.

I'll give this back to Davies soon, 

But Atiba did hit milestones DeGuzman never did. Made it deeper in champs league, won league titles, won player of the year

admittedly not in La Liga.

You're free to say Deguzman had a better legacy. But I don't think it's black and white. Both achieved things the other didn't.

It's a question of if you see playing on a lower half team in a better league is a bigger legacy than winning things and overachieving in champs league on teams in leagues that aren't as highly regarded. Is it better to progress in champs league on Celtic or be a regular on southampton? 

23 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

But Atiba did hit milestones DeGuzman never did. Made it deeper in champs league, won league titles, won player of the year

You're free to say Deguzman had a better legacy. But I don't think it's black and white. Both achieved things the other didn't.

It's a question of if you see playing on a lower half team in a better league is a bigger legacy than winning things and overachieving in champs league on teams in leagues that aren't as highly regarded. Is it better to progress in champs league on Celtic or be a regular on southampton? 

Ridiculous to rule Hutch out of any discussion about our best player ever.  Same goes for JDG, whom I suspect many of us sort of forget about now that he is not lacing up the boots. And, yeah, Radz.  Stalteri when he was RB at Bremen might even crack the top five, though I am sure that others here will disagree.

Geez, give the Vees a day and we turn on each other real fast (and hard).  

10 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Ridiculous to rule Hutch out of any discussion about our best player ever.  Same goes for JDG, whom I suspect many of us sort of forget about now that he is not lacing up the boots. And, yeah, Radz.  Stalteri when he was RB at Bremen might even crack the top five, though I am sure that others here will disagree.

Geez, give the Vees a day and we turn on each other real fast (and hard).  

Don't intend for anything I say to come out angry or vicious. nothing i said was meant as an attack by any stretch. Just simply saying it's not black and white. You're welcome to choose whoever you think was the best.

51 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I agree with the reflection. And am only bothered by the undocumented statements about what our region is able to produce .

For Davies to become a major Concacaf export and to be considered a great from the region, I'd say he'd have to play for a team on one of the top four leagues in Europe. And have a career of it, at least 8 years top flight, whether on a top team or not. If they won a league or a cup or went deep in Europa League or even Champions, better. And if he regularly scored, considering he's more a wing player, say 50-60 goals over 7-8 years. And then, if he was with us when we won another Gold Cup, or of course if we made the World Cup. 

So he would not have to be Giggs, lord knows, or Ribery, or even Joaquin who had an amazing season and has been in top flight for 16 years. But he would have to have a better career than Radz, as I see it.

How much does he go for?  He’s on an option contract, which obviously a team like Beşiktaş knows they can beat ala Larin.

Im sure MLS won’t get their money and they’ll find a way to attack the kid and never speak of him.

7 hours ago, Keegan said:

The Fonz is in Moscow with Diego Lainez anyone know what is happening?  Guessing it must be something to do with WC 2026?  But the yanks don’t have A youngster there.

Davies is said to have been invited by the CSA to speak about the US, Canada, Mexico bid tomorrow when they make there case against Morocco.  The United bid must be desperate that MLS and rhe CSA need Davies as the poster child for the United bid.  Thought it was in the bag?

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

Davies is said to have been invited by the CSA to speak about the US, Canada, Mexico bid tomorrow when they make there case against Morocco.  The United bid must be desperate that MLS and rhe CSA need Davies as the poster child for the United bid.  Thought it was in the bag?

Wtf is a 17 year old gonna say to sway a World Cup vote? Caps can’t be happy. 

At 17 shouldn't he be playing with his friends at the Toulon tournament. Not being used in a campaign. Are we asking too much from the young man? On the other hand, what a great experience for the kid, being around World Cup.

3 hours ago, nolbertos said:

In the bag? Have you been following the declared votes of support?

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Wtf is a 17 year old gonna say to sway a World Cup vote? Caps can’t be happy. 

Caps can't be happy? Why not? The team is on a week break for the World Cup. Most players are on vacation. Davies can do as he pleases. Why would the caps care whether he is in Russia or on a beach in Mexico?

1 hour ago, masster said:

Caps can't be happy? Why not? The team is on a week break for the World Cup. Most players are on vacation. Davies can do as he pleases. Why would the caps care whether he is in Russia or on a beach in Mexico?

My mistake, I assumed they played this weekend. 

What an amazing week it has been for Davies. Incredible performance for VWC, MLS team and player of the week, jettisoned to Moscow and part of the final on stage presentation for the combined bid !

I am delighted that Davies is beginning to reap the rewards for committing to Canada. This is just the start.....he is going to get a lot of corporate endorsements.  I wish all 17 year olds were as nice as him. Karma is a beautiful thing.....

15 hours ago, Keegan said:

Wtf is a 17 year old gonna say to sway a World Cup vote? Caps can’t be happy

Firstly, who cares if they're happy? It's the fucking World Cup.

Secondly, Caps don't play again until the 23th, and they been using Davies' speech all over their social media so I think they're fine with it.

Archived