Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I understand where you are coming from, but Davies is a guy that is already doing it in a solid pro league.   And he has done it for us at the Gold Cup.  To me, that is far different than a 17 yr old prospect with unproven potential.  Those guys absolutely can flame out, but I don't see it happening with the Phonz.  

Neither do I. 

If anything, Davies often looks like he could be doing more.

I don't know whether that is a result of the team he id playing with or what - but I just find myself wanting him to get more involved. 

Think back to the Gold Cup. It was almost as if Zambrano said "go out and play and don't worry if you make mistakes". Not saying Robbo is telling him otherwise, but with Vancouver it just seems he is trying to be a complimentary piece, rather than being the main guy. He does sometimes, but I would like to see it more, just because I know he can do it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Wonder what a club like Ajax would do for his development - let alone his value. 

18 year old Justin Kluivert will get yanked away from them sooner rather than later. I would love for Davies to replace him on the wing.

He has been already. Was bought by Roma.

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Neither do I. 

If anything, Davies often looks like he could be doing more.

I don't know whether that is a result of the team he id playing with or what - but I just find myself wanting him to get more involved. 

Think back to the Gold Cup. It was almost as if Zambrano said "go out and play and don't worry if you make mistakes". Not saying Robbo is telling him otherwise, but with Vancouver it just seems he is trying to be a complimentary piece, rather than being the main guy. He does sometimes, but I would like to see it more, just because I know he can do it.

Playing in an international tournament and playing in a league are two completely different things. I think it is impressive that he is already successful in both. I get what you mean, you want a player like Davies to be dominant every game. He doesn’t always seem to live up to his potential every game.

right now He is on the MLS league leaders list with 7 assists. I also think he is the caps most impactful offensive player. Defenders know they have to double team him. I think that is partly why he can look lesss dynamic some games. But just the fact that he is on the field pulls defenders over and gives more room for others. So that could be part of the reason why he varies so much. Not to meantion he is 17 of course. 

Long story short, Davies always seems to find a way to be successful. Put him in a top league and it might take a couple years, but he will be successful.

On 6/13/2018 at 2:50 PM, A_Gagne said:

Hey Ballou, how’s that Ivory Coast thing working out for you?

3rd division club footy in Spain bruh...... great club with good coaches etc. but they consider me an outsider here, not a home grown player so minutes hard to come by. I know eventually Ill get some exposure, maybe that Toulon Tourney.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:52 PM, Tg11 said:

I mean seeing him at the 2026 World Cup bid and giving that speech but also seeing him play for the Whitecaps as a 17 year old on a daily basis I think it is safe to say that his future is pretty bright.

If he makes the jump to Europe and flourishes into a top flight starter I could see him becoming something of a full fledged national celebrity (outside of the world of hockey like a Raonic, Virtue or Moir) after that speech. There's never really been one in the men's program to my knowledge. Fingers crossed he makes the leap this winter even if on a loan.

There's a couple of clubs who could easily afford him. Ajax Comes tot mind. But most Eredivisie clubs can't that's true. I'd love toch see him at Ajax OR PSV as a matter of fact. He'd get playing time and it would provide a great showcase for him to jump to a better League.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Speaking of this, does anyone else wonder if the Caps encouraging him to do this gig was part of raising his market value? That it was, in fact, a way of enhancing his worth for an expected late 2018 transfer (after his 18th birthday)?

I don't know if it has to be that specific (in terms of targeting a specific transfer).  They currently have on payroll a guy who COULD become a legit world class player.  Whether for possible transfers, club exposure, future endorsement deals (that in turn increases their/his exposure), etc, there is no downside for them to people getting increasingly exposed to Davies.  Hell, even MLS bigwigs are likely loving the exposure and buzz around him.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Speaking of this, does anyone else wonder if the Caps encouraging him to do this gig was part of raising his market value? That it was, in fact, a way of enhancing his worth for an expected late 2018 transfer (after his 18th birthday)?

Whitecaps aren't that smart..

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's certainly in stark contrast to past seasons. The 'Caps rarely even let him give interviews until this season.

13 hours ago, shamrock said:

There's a couple of clubs who could easily afford him. Ajax Comes tot mind. But most Eredivisie clubs can't that's true. I'd love toch see him at Ajax OR PSV as a matter of fact. He'd get playing time and it would provide a great showcase for him to jump to a better League.

Ajax is probably the only club that I could see him on or PSV but he is more of a fit for Ajax. Exactly the point he would get playing time out there in The Netherlands playing in the Eredivisie and it could help him grow as a player.

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It would be something if that is true

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Well Larin plays at Besiktas and if  Davies goes there you have yourself a Canadian connection...this is perfect

The Turkey transfer would be pretty cool stepping stone IMO, just this season they transferred Tosun to Everton.... meaning transferring players to the BPL would always be in the cards, which I think many on here believe Davies will ultimately end up.

I don't know enough about Beskitas 18, how would he shape up as a winger or even CAM, with their current roster for minutes?

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Nice don't think he will be gone until after MLS season, but if a large money came in it can happen sooner and maybe straight loan in MLS with obviously VW. Anyways I truly do believe this is his last year in MLS and want him to move to a place he will have to fight for starting spot and gains it to get plenty of PT....

Imagine him going to Dortmund and playing opposite of Pulusic....

55 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Nice don't think he will be gone until after MLS season, but if a large money came in it can happen sooner and maybe straight loan in MLS with obviously VW. Anyways I truly do believe this is his last year in MLS and want him to move to a place he will have to fight for starting spot and gains it to get plenty of PT....

Imagine him going to Dortmund and playing opposite of Pulusic....

German Bundesliga especially playing for a team like Dortmund would be huge for Davies

34 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Anyone else get the feeling that Atiba's next career will be as super agent to future Canadian soccer stars? 

(TBH, I think Atiba would make a remarkable coach. Smart, tactical, calm, and has played at a very high level for a long time.)

I don't think he will be an agent but more he will be a coach or at least a part of the Canada coaching staff as an assistant for 2022 qualifiers but an assistant also for the 2026 FIFA World Cup since we are co hosting.

Archived