Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

8 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I wonder if Vancouver is going to allow Davies to play in the Toulon Tournament. Canada needs to bring the best lineup possible ! We have a chance to make some noise and turn some heads.

I hope not, I don't see what purpose it would serve for his development.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2018-04-17 at 6:04 PM, jpg75 said:

..and yet many of your top prospects come from outside BC.

Can anyone list the guys from Vancouver, or BC even that the Whitecaps have given first team contracts too? As mentioned above Froese and Bustos were from Winnipeg, Davies is from Edmonton, Teibert St. Catharines, I think Alderson was Calgary or something wasn’t he? Maybe Carducci was Calgary too? I’m not sure where Caleb Clarke is from so maybe he is from Vancouver? I can’t think of anymore MLS era Whitecaps homegrowns at the moment.

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

Can anyone list the guys from Vancouver, or BC even that the Whitecaps have given first team contracts too? As mentioned above Froese and Bustos were from Winnipeg, Davies is from Edmonton, Teibert St. Catharines, I think Alderson was Calgary or something wasn’t he? Maybe Carducci was Calgary too? I’m not sure where Caleb Clarke is from so maybe he is from Vancouver? I can’t think of anymore MLS era Whitecaps homegrowns at the moment.

Alderson is from Kitchener. Carducci is from Calgary. Clarke and Fisk are from Vancouver. Levis is from Saskatoon. Melvin and Norman are from BC. Those are the ones I remember, but let's be honest, most of the players who we think as top tier players/prospects are not from BC. 

6 hours ago, Kent said:

Teibert is from Niagara Falls not St. Catharines. ;)

As a St. Catharines man, I wish we produced better players than Keith Makubuya and kinda Kofi Opare

11 hours ago, Kent said:

This is a fair question. Last summer a few people on this board and I, and other Caps fans, went to see the WC U-16 vs similar Sounders in the North American quarter finals, they won and went to the final four. Many of those kids were top quality, and over half from the Lower Mainland (a few Albertans, if I recall correctly). I can honestly say that many had the level to play in the top two tiers of u-16 Spain, I've seen it and know it.

So as we know, it is not a question of talent, ability, mental strength. It is proper development at a key moment in a player's career. 

That team, has to be said, played control football, with quick passing and very coordinated movement on the pitch. Totally unlike the first team. Why play that way if the model at the main club is radically different? Those kids must look at Caps and say: that is not how we are being taught to play.

We squander enough talent in Canada to not be picking it up where we can, which is in the transition from youth to pro through the pro clubs.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is a fair question. Last summer a few people on this board and I, and other Caps fans, went to see the WC U-16 vs similar Sounders in the North American quarter finals, they won and went to the final four. Many of those kids were top quality, and over half from the Lower Mainland (a few Albertans, if I recall correctly). I can honestly say that many had the level to play in the top two tiers of u-16 Spain, I've seen it and know it.

So as we know, it is not a question of talent, ability, mental strength. It is proper development at a key moment in a player's career. 

That team, has to be said, played control football, with quick passing and very coordinated movement on the pitch. Totally unlike the first team. Why play that way if the model at the main club is radically different? Those kids must look at Caps and say: that is not how we are being taught to play.

We squander enough talent in Canada to not be picking it up where we can, which is in the transition from youth to pro through the pro clubs.

And, we all pray, the CPL will play something of a role in helping with that transition.  

21 hours ago, Kent said:

"With Colyn, Sean Melvin and David Norman Jr., Whitecaps FC now have signed three British Columbian born players from the club’s development system to MLS Homegrown Player contracts in the past five months."

Its almost as if they read this thread...

• 2 weeks later...

The run he had leading up to the whitecaps second goal was amazing. Great job to outpace and outmuscle the right mid before running pass the right back and passing (probably shooting) to blondell for a tap in from a yard out. It might of gone in with out the touch from blondell but overall it was an insane run and great assist.

Edit: here is the run 

On 4/28/2018 at 9:26 AM, Keegan said:

Yea that was unreal but then Blondell runs away celebrating even though he tapped in a ball that was going in... so ridiculous ? 

Agreed!

21 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Yea and you see his teammates run to Davies lol

Best part.

Archived