Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kid is electric and getting better every game. What is most exciting to see is how quickly he is learning the game. All three assists tonight were poised, smart and clinical. Credit to Robbo and his staff for handling him as well as they have, for bringing him into the full senior squad as quickly as they did, and for giving him significant game time. Credit to Davies for keeping his head, working his ass off, and choosing to play international football for Canada!! He also drew two yellow cards, all because of his speed and willingness to drive forwards. I will be sad to see him go, but he will not be with the Caps much longer, that's for sure. He's got the tools to play in the Premiership, for sure.  Would also love to see him in the Bundesliga.

21 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Still hoping that they next try him at centre mid. His speed is fantastic up and down the wing, but his passing is underrated and the decision-making is getting better. I expect him to land at this position before too long.

He tucked in a fair bit tonight, which gave Shea some room to whip down the left flank. On the Mezquida goal Davies looked like he was playing centre mid. Hey, maybe Alphonso is the play-making general the Caps need, bossing the midfield and breaking up plays and creating all day long. Thing is, he won't be around long enough to become that guy for the Caps.

12 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Credit to Robbo and his staff for handling him as well as they have, for bringing him into the full senior squad as quickly as they did, and for giving him significant game time.

I agree Robbo deserves some credit, but can we all agree Davies should never be wasted at left back ever again?

On 4/3/2018 at 8:55 PM, saladroit said:

That play where he runs down the ball by the endline, keeps it in play, and nutmegs a player is just pure class

I thought it was an example of poor decision making that he just got away with due to fantastic speed and a bit of luck. He should concede the corner there rather than risk giving their attacker the ball free in a dangerous position. He's young, though, and will smarten up with experience.

I really hope Davies has the right agent that will land him at a club capable of fully developing his potential. He is at such a crucial age and I sense that we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg as in yesterday's game. So many factors that can impact his development.

I can't believe he will be playing into his 30s given this exposure early on, but man I hope we all sit back and enjoy it while he is here as he is a sight to behold. If he continues to develop and stays injury free..oh my. 

He is on a trajectory to a big European club and soon. 

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

I agree Robbo deserves some credit, but can we all agree Davies should never be wasted at left back ever again?

Or maybe we applaud him for having the good sense to find some way to keep Davies on the pitch when the Caps are short a left back. I've never had the impression that Robbo wants Davies at left back. But when DeJong got injured--spitting blood--earlier this year, Robbo slotted Davies at left back, likely thinking that Davies was the best choice in that position considering his options.  The experiment of playing Shea at leftback, keep in mind, is only two games old. It seems to be working pretty well so far. And when DeJong is back, we will have both Shea and DeJong to cover left back, leaving Davies free to play in the midfield where he belongs.

You know when you watch a u-15 game and some of the players are boys and some are men? You know how the men completely stand out physically? That’s what Davies looks like in the MLS... and as we know, the MLS is a fairly physical league. It is quite impressive. 

As a side note. I am finding it very amusing to watch Will Johnson get embarrassed at full back against Davies and Telfer. Johnson is good, but man are our next generation of players so much better.

I hope he moves for next season. At 17, his potential is sky high and I just don't trust the Whitecaps to be able to get him there. Plus, a different style/footy environment could be very good for him.

Now, as to where to go I wouldn't have Turkey at the top of that list. Also, this being his first move abroad he doesn't have to aim for a huge club, but rather a good club where he could develop then move on. A good team in the Netherlands, Belgium, France or something of the like I think would be perfect IMO. 

Archived