Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

2 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Nice don't think he will be gone until after MLS season, but if a large money came in it can happen sooner and maybe straight loan in MLS with obviously VW. Anyways I truly do believe this is his last year in MLS and want him to move to a place he will have to fight for starting spot and gains it to get plenty of PT....

Imagine him going to Dortmund and playing opposite of Pulusic....

He can’t leave until January 2019 unless he transfers to a Canadian or Liberian club.  

As for the links to Beşiktas.. would be a great move to one of the biggest clubs in the world just not sure about development there.  They seem willing to develop Larin so maybe it’s okay but it seems to me, like the other big Turkish clubs, to be a team with high turnover that is always looking for names and doesn’t mind if the player is old.  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

I don't think he will be an agent but more he will be a coach or at least a part of the Canada coaching staff as an assistant for 2022 qualifiers but an assistant also for the 2026 FIFA World Cup since we are co hosting.

He might find his way into the national team set-up, but the more likely path is a club team with a lower level league, where he can cut his teeth and work on his accreditation. If he has success, then he moves up to a better league. Whatever the case, I hope he continues to have a role in football, especially working with Canadian players.

I dunno about a move of Beşiktas. Turkey, while a good league, isn't really known for exporting talent. I'd rather he moved Belgium or Portugal at this stage in his career. Fingers crossed a Man U or Bundesliga team are still wanting him.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

He can’t leave until January 2019 unless he transfers to a Canadian or Liberian club.  

As for the links to Beşiktas.. would be a great move to one of the biggest clubs in the world just not sure about development there.  They seem willing to develop Larin so maybe it’s okay but it seems to me, like the other big Turkish clubs, to be a team with high turnover that is always looking for names and doesn’t mind if the player is old.  

Nah Canada only. He likely has given up his Liberian citizenship. 

6 hours ago, apbsmith said:

The Turkey transfer would be pretty cool stepping stone IMO, just this season they transferred Tosun to Everton.... meaning transferring players to the BPL would always be in the cards, which I think many on here believe Davies will ultimately end up.

I don't know enough about Beskitas 18, how would he shape up as a winger or even CAM, with their current roster for minutes?

They are going to have to replace Quaresma soon, even though he is a rightside player. 

1 hour ago, matty said:

I dunno about a move of Beşiktas. Turkey, while a good league, isn't really known for exporting talent. I'd rather he moved Belgium or Portugal at this stage in his career. Fingers crossed a Man U or Bundesliga team are still wanting him. 

Kinda feel the same way. I feel a little better knowing Larin and Hutchinson are there, but Davies is our number one prospect, and Besiktas don't have a track record for developing youth, so I too am nervous.

That being said, if he does move there and does well, he could find himself being lured by the likes of Dortmund, or dare I say Bayern? The Bundesliga would seem like a logically next step from the Turkisk league but really, any of the big 5 leagues could come hunting for him after a few good seasons at Besiktas, just as they would if he was doing well at Ajax, or Porto, etc.

The key is for him to do well regardless of where he lands next. With Larin and Hutch there, he'll have some company. That is valuable. Perhaps it makes up for the short comings in Turkey, who knows?

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Kinda feel the same way. I feel a little better knowing Larin and Hutchinson are there, but Davies is our number one prospect, and Besiktas don't have a track record for developing youth, so I too am nervous.

That being said, if he does move there and does well, he could find himself being lured by the likes of Dortmund, or dare I say Bayern? The Bundesliga would seem like a logically next step from the Turkisk league but really, any of the big 5 leagues could come hunting for him after a few good seasons at Besiktas, just as they would if he was doing well at Ajax, or Porto, etc.

The key is for him to do well regardless of where he lands next. With Larin and Hutch there, he'll have some company. That is valuable. Perhaps it makes up for the short comings in Turkey, who knows?

Mostly agree with you. It's an odd move given Turkey's lack of exporting (and maybe weaker rep for nurturing talent?) but it does get him playing with Larin and Hutch, which could be good. And yes if he does well I could see him moving on up to a big fiver.

5 hours ago, matty said:

Mostly agree with you. It's an odd move given Turkey's lack of exporting (and maybe weaker rep for nurturing talent?) but it does get him playing with Larin and Hutch, which could be good. And yes if he does well I could see him moving on up to a big fiver.

Exactly so he is at least playing with his national team teammates on a daily basis should he go there; so really there is no downside by going to Turkey right now, which is why leaving Vancouver should at least look really good right now. At least he would be competing in tournaments like UEFA Europa League possibly even one day Champions League with Besiktas going up against the world's most which could help him to further develop as a player. 

I've read somewhere that Besiktas is reducing their budget by 35%. I don't see Besiktas paying a lot of money for Davies now since they won't have Champions' League money this upcoming season. I think it's mainly something seeing Canadian player and hearing about a highly-touted Canadian player. 

1 minute ago, Blackdude said:

I've read somewhere that Besiktas is reducing their budget by 35%. I don't see Besiktas paying a lot of money for Davies now since they won't have Champions' League money this upcoming season. I think it's mainly something seeing Canadian player and hearing about a highly-touted Canadian player. 

If that is the case then maybe Besiktas may not be the best place for him to go after all. Should he leave Vancouver Whitecaps then and only then should he go over to play in the Scottish Premier League or even the German Bundesliga.

5 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Exactly so he is at least playing with his national team teammates on a daily basis should he go there; so really there is no downside by going to Turkey right now, which is why leaving Vancouver should at least look really good right now. At least he would be competing in tournaments like UEFA Europa League possibly even one day Champions League with Besiktas going up against the world's most which could help him to further develop as a player. 

There is. The Turkish system (including Besiktas) do not have a great track record for producing and developing talent which is more important to a player like Davies than high profile games. MLS has a better record for developing talent than Turkey.

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

If that is the case then maybe Besiktas may not be the best place for him to go after all. Should he leave Vancouver Whitecaps then and only then should he go over to play in the Scottish Premier League or even the German Bundesliga.

I'm not trying to be mean but I do not get a lot of your posts. Like why do you keep pushing SPL?

3 minutes ago, matty said:

There is. The Turkish system (including Besiktas) do not have a great track record for producing and developing talent which is more important to a player like Davies than high profile games. MLS has a better record for developing talent than Turkey.

I'm not trying to be mean but I do not get a lot of your posts. Like why do you keep pushing SPL?

I am not arguing with you MLS does have a better record of developing talent than Turkey but at the same time playing in Turkey he will have a chance to play top-flight football there and not to mention some of the world's best do play in Turkey right now. Not to mention he would have the chance to play Europa League or maybe even Champions League football and isn't that what we want for him?

I keep pushing SPL because it is a league where I feel he can actually thrive in and a league where he can actually hone his craft or better yet mature into a more elite player well depending on if he were to go to Celtic or Rangers. SPL is an underrated league I feel but a league that would be suited for his game

5 minutes ago, matty said:

I’m with you up until here.. MLS makes Turkey look like La Masia.  The majority of “developed” players will leave and eventually end up back in mls.  

6 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Is the SPL much better than MLS (excluding Celtic)? 

Not at all.  Take away Celtic and MLS is a better league without question.

7 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Is the SPL much better than MLS (excluding Celtic)? 

Not an expert, but my impression is that most of the MLS teams are better than most of the SPL teams, which means that MLS is better than the SPL.  

Like several have suggested here, I'd rather see him go to a top club in Belgium or Portugal, or Bundesliga 2, where he can be shaped and developed and prepared for a transfer to a team in one of the Big Five leagues. SPL feels like a lateral move, at best. Mind you, there is some appeal of Davies playing for Gerard at Rangers.

1 minute ago, The Beaver said:

Not an expert, but my impression is that most of the MLS teams are better than most of the SPL teams, which means that MLS is a bit better than the SPL.  

Like several have suggested here, I'd rather see him go to a top club in Belgium or Portugal, or Bundesliga 2, where he can be shaped and developed and prepared for a transfer to a team in one of the Big Five leagues. SPL feels like a lateral move, at best. Mind you, there is some appeal of Davies playing for Gerard at Rangers.

Agree 100%, Holland maybe as well. Their teams seem to develop young talent very well. Ajax seems to be a factory of development.

1 minute ago, Strait Red said:

Agree 100%, Holland maybe as well. Their teams seem to develop young talent very well. Ajax seems to be a factory of development.

Just like Scotland, Holland is a great league for him to play in as well preferably if he went to Ajax. I mean they can help him to mature and evolve as a player. Not only that Dutch Eredivisie is one of the best leagues to play in in the world as well so there is that added bonus.

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think there is a lot of conventional wisdom going on here.. 2 clubs that spring to mind who have lately bridged young talent to top teams are Monaco & Shaktar Donesk 

Ya a team like Monaco would be a good fit for his development, seems like a bunch of great players developed there when they were young 

Or he can always play in Russia for CSKA Moscow,  Zenit St. Petersburg or even Spartak Moscow as far as development

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

I am not arguing with you MLS does have a better record of developing talent than Turkey but at the same time playing in Turkey he will have a chance to play top-flight football there and not to mention some of the world's best do play in Turkey right now. Not to mention he would have the chance to play Europa League or maybe even Champions League football and isn't that what we want for him?

I keep pushing SPL because it is a league where I feel he can actually thrive in and a league where he can actually hone his craft or better yet mature into a more elite player well depending on if he were to go to Celtic or Rangers. SPL is an underrated league I feel but a league that would be suited for his game

SPL is a league where Marcus Haber led a team in scoring just a year ago. Not to hate on Haber, but he would only start US Open Cup/Voyageurs Cup games with any MLS teams and is surely CanPL bound. Coming from a Celtic supporter, the competition in the SPL is simply not up to snuff for Davies.

5 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

SPL is a league where Marcus Haber led a team in scoring just a year ago. Not to hate on Haber, but he would only start US Open Cup/Voyageurs Cup games with any MLS teams and is surely CanPL bound. Coming from a Celtic supporter, the competition in the SPL is simply not up to snuff for Davies.

Maybe not which is why I also suggested he go to either Holland, Germany or Russia for competition and for further development

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

I’m with you up until here.. MLS makes Turkey look like La Masia.  The majority of “developed” players will leave and eventually end up back in mls.  

Not at all.  Take away Celtic and MLS is a better league without question.

MLS actually do have probably the best youth development program in CONCACAF (including Mexico). And I don't get your point about players returning as that's what happens with most leagues. When we talk Turkey vs. MLS, MLS has been sending out more players into the world than Turkey has.

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

No we want a place he can develop into a fuller player.

9 minutes ago, matty said:

MLS actually do have probably the best youth development program in CONCACAF (including Mexico). And I don't get your point about players returning as that's what happens with most leagues. When we talk Turkey vs. MLS, MLS has been sending out more players into the world than Turkey has.

No we want a place he can develop into a fuller player.

Yes I want that too but the only place for him to truly grow into an elite player is in Europe

Archived