Ballou Tabla

shermanator

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Dig at me. 

At least they are not proposing the first clean cut white kid who plays three games to be captain, which is what all that trash was really about.

Just to be clear, the "they" in question is exactly one person (@Joe MacCarthy) who made an off-hand comment based on Hiebert's first CSA interview, which you then somehow portrayed as a massively popular fan-driven campaign to make this late bloomer the captain of our national team.

I'll not even get into the thinly-veiled xenophobic things you wrote on the subject since this is already a big departure for this particular thread.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Just to be clear, the "they" in question is exactly one person (@Joe MacCarthy) who made an off-hand comment based on Hiebert's first CSA interview, which you then somehow portrayed as a massively popular fan-driven campaign to make this late bloomer the captain of our national team.

I'll not even get into the thinly-veiled xenophobic things you wrote on the subject since this is already a big departure for this particular thread.

As the official thread derailer, I decree and grant permission to delete the entire thread starting at that point.

Tabla has 2 goals in 6 games for Manisa according to soccerway, but I thought this was his 3rd goal, so maybe that's 3 in 7? 

Either way, he's clearly back on track which makes me very happy considering the ups and downs he's gone through already in his young career. At 24 years old, he's still plenty young to not only come back into the CMNT fold, but to also make another significant move up the ladder. Those two things will probably come hand-in-hand as well, because while I am impressed with him in Turkey so far, and while the 1. Lig seems surprisingly good based on these highlights (I thought the level would be lower), I still think he's going to have to move to the Super Lig or equivalent before he comes back in.

Some may point to Brym playing in the Erste divisie and suggest that's equivalent to 1. Lig, and it may just be, but I think Brym is a special case of the staff loving the player. Not saying they don't like Ballou, they obviously rate him to bring him to the U23s back in 2021, but it's just that he clearly fell out of the senior pool, whereas Brym never has.  

But all of that said, i'll round this out by saying good job Tabla, keep going and you'll be called back in sooner or later!

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Tabla has 2 goals in 6 games for Manisa according to soccerway, but I thought this was his 3rd goal, so maybe that's 3 in 7? 

Either way, he's clearly back on track which makes me very happy considering the ups and downs he's gone through already in his young career. At 24 years old, he's still plenty young to not only come back into the CMNT fold, but to also make another significant move up the ladder. Those two things will probably come hand-in-hand as well, because while I am impressed with him in Turkey so far, and while the 1. Lig seems surprisingly good based on these highlights (I thought the level would be lower), I still think he's going to have to move to the Super Lig or equivalent before he comes back in.

Some may point to Brym playing in the Erste divisie and suggest that's equivalent to 1. Lig, and it may just be, but I think Brym is a special case of the staff loving the player. Not saying they don't like Ballou, they obviously rate him to bring him to the U23s back in 2021, but it's just that he clearly fell out of the senior pool, whereas Brym never has.  

But all of that said, i'll round this out by saying good job Tabla, keep going and you'll be called back in sooner or later!

He has 2 goals and 1 assist in 6 games. The assist was a ftoppage time game winner. He was an unused sub in 1 game. Some pretty interesting stats in his short time in Turkey so far. 

In the 2 games that he started he scored and his team won both. He is also averaging a goal or assist every 75 minutes.

Honestly, I wouldn't hate to see him as a Gold Cup callup.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Bumping the thread

Early days but Manisa are 2nd in the TFF First League. Maybe a promotion to the Super Lig is possible? top two move up directly, while 3rd go to a playoff. It's an interesting format actually. Third place goes to the playoff final, while 4-7 go to the playoff quarter final, presumably against teams 17-20 in the Super Lig. Then I assume 3rd in the first league plays the winner of all that? If anyone knows for sure please comment. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_TFF_First_League

As for Tabla specifically - no goal contributions yet and has played twice off the bench and remained on the bench for the other two games. Not the best start, but he's obviously in the mix. He's young enough that probably he's a piece they keep if they move up, even at this current pace. 

https://us.soccerway.com/players/jean-yves-ballou-tabla/393460/ 

Edited by Obinna

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, jdheid said:

Clearly too good for CPL, but not good enough for Turkish 2nd tier. Wonder what level and where exists between those  that would be a good fit for him?

Dutch 2nd tier has been kind to some of our players, namely Colyn and before that, Brym. Not saying it's inferior to the Turkish 2nd tier, perhaps it's lateral, but it's a different environment and maybe that works in his favour.

As we've seen with Millar, being in the right environment can help a player blossom. 

Was his issues in Turkey due to skill/form or was it just a case of a foreign player being brought in to a low level team where you can easily lose your spot after a bad game or due to coach’s preference? I doubt that CPL is so far below the Turkish 2nd div where he can star for Ottawa but barely play in Turkey.

At least for him he’ll always have a spot in the CPL, I hope. Maybe he made enough of a name in Spain to get a crack in the lower division and see what happens?

Just now, Obinna said:

Dutch 2nd tier has been kind to some of our players, namely Colyn and before that, Brym. Not saying it's inferior to the Turkish 2nd tier, perhaps it's lateral, but it's a different environment and maybe that works in his favour.

As we've seen with Millar, being in the right environment can help a player blossom. 

I'd like to see him stay in Europe. when Ottawa came to Edmonton, my heart was in my throat every time he had the ball. Such an atheltic and talented player. I don't think he's reached his ceiling, but you're right, he needs the right environment.

Just now, jdheid said:

I'd like to see him stay in Europe. when Ottawa came to Edmonton, my heart was in my throat every time he had the ball. Such an atheltic and talented player. I don't think he's reached his ceiling, but you're right, he needs the right environment.

Ya, this is it.  Whenever he has the ball you just get this feeling in your gut something is gonna happen.  I always kinda assumed it was cause I knew of him and have seen what he is capable of.  But then, I took a French coworker that follows a lot of EU soccer to see a game years ago where Tabla came on near the end, it took 2 touches and the guy asked "Who's this guy?  Is he coming back from injury?  Why didn't he start?.  My reply "It's complicated". 

I asked what he thought of the overall experience, he enjoyed Stade Saputo, said it's better than a few Ligue 1 stadiums.  Felt the crowd was lacking knowledge and passion (spectators vs supporters) and Tabla was the obvious standout and would be in Europe soon.

1 hour ago, jdheid said:

Clearly too good for CPL, but not good enough for Turkish 2nd tier. Wonder what level and where exists between those  that would be a good fit for him?

Wrong, he scored 3 and assisted 2 last season in 760 minutes, also had a goal disallowed. Something else is going on here, he's only played 138 league minutes this season, all sub, which makes no sense given his production last year

2 minutes ago, phresh said:

Wrong, he scored 3 and assisted 2 last season in 760 minutes, also had a goal disallowed. Something else is going on here, he's only played 138 league minutes this season, all sub, which makes no sense given his production last year

Production was never the issue - there is always something else with Tabla.