NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

Ryan Lindsay signs with Dinamo Zagreb in Croatia.

https://opsmpro.com/2020/02/ryan-lindsay-signs-to-european-giants-dinamo-zagreb/

https://www.croatiaweek.com/first-canadian-at-croatian-champions-dinamo-zagreb/

He's a 19 yr. old defender from Ottawa via TFC Academy

Edited by to70

Kyle Romic, pretty sure he was born in Brampton. is playing as a starter with Inter Zaprecic u19's in the Croatian junior league

first division. He played mostly for Norval Croatia in his younger days. There is an interview with him on CL futbol academy site when he was in a residency program at Hercules Alicante.

https://www.clfutbol.com/spanish-residency-program

27 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

With USLC rules changing next year to make Canadians non-domestic and the CPL continually improving it's odd to see young players signing in USLC.  @MM3/MM2/MM any insight into these decisions?

They also don't have the benefit of the u21 rule that CPL offers.

I wanted to post something about this. Not sure if this is the right place, but... Transfermarkt says there are 25 Canadians in USLC. Granted it's such a large division that there will be a larger disparity from top to bottom than in CPL in terms of individual talent. That said, Murrell, Thomas, and Legault were all pretty mediocre in CPL. Clearly we could stock two news clubs with the Canadians here, but should we? I think we should at least consider focusing on the 2nd division first. Have a low cap there, to catch players falling in the cracks and to have a landing spot for USL, a step up for League 1. And then raise the cap a bit in the Premier League to be able to afford returning players from Europe and compete with the MLS academies who are signing players to rot on the bench and in USSDA. Happy to move this discussion elsewhere if anyone is interested.

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

With USLC rules changing next year to make Canadians non-domestic and the CPL continually improving it's odd to see young players signing in USLC.  @MM3/MM2/MM any insight into these decisions?

They aren't signing for multiple years presumably, and while Canadians won't count as domestics next year, it doesn't mean USLC clubs won't still sign some as internationals. There are 35 clubs in the USLC and only 8 in the CPL; Canadian clubs can't sign every promising young player, so it's good that the USLC provides them with another nearby option for now.

17 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Duante Walkes (2001) signs with Saint Louis of USLC, played in 2019 with L1O side Master's Futbol.

Do you have a source for this? Not that I don't believe you I just don't see an announcement on the St Louis FC website nor on their team page.  I think it's exciting that USLC would be looking at L1Ontario players.  A representation of the quality of the league.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It will be nice to have more Canadians with professional experience if two more clubs are added to CPL next season

15 minutes ago, downtownordinary said:

Do you have a source for this? Not that I don't believe you I just don't see an announcement on the St Louis FC website nor on their team page.  I think it's exciting that USLC would be looking at L1Ontario players.  A representation of the quality of the league.

https://int.soccerway.com/players/daunte-walkes/655345/