NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

Last Major Update: 2016-02-24
Last Minor Update: Instant updates every day.

RULES:

There is no longer a minimum league requirement. Any Canadian playing soccer abroad (or domestically based), who is in theory eligible for the Canadian national team, will have a place on this list and will be tracked. Please don’t ask to include players that play in a local beer league though. I will leave it up to your discretion, but the proposed divisions should be at least somewhat professional. 

As soon as a player commits to a country other than Canada, he automatically gets dropped from this list.

There is no longer be a colour-based system based on a player’s status. Instead there is a more detailed table of our Canadian Player Pool with all the vital information, such as a player’s birth date, position, 2nd nationality, birth date, etc. This includes both Men and Women, as well as both players abroad & domestically based ones.

As usual, I am open to any suggestions from you guys in regards to new categories for the table or anything else that might improve the experience.

Please join me in thanking Madmonte for all his hard work he has done in managing this thread for over 2.5 years. I am hoping that my diligent team and I will be worthy successors.

Also for those who want to be more involved in tracking players either in here or on another aspect of "Canucks Abroad", please get in touch with me on this forum or on twitter. If you want to become a regular contributor, I can give you access to the google document as well.

You can find a link to the table here:

Canadian Player Pool

As usual, you will find our constant player news & updates on Twitter as well: @Canucks_Abroad

If you want to add Canadians playing abroad to Twitter, here is a list of all the known accounts: https://twitter.com/Canucks_Abroad/lists/canucks-abroad .

Happy tracking!

Edited by Fussball_eh

Instead of listing all the levels the player has played could we just list the highest level? Would help to declutter it and make it easier to read. 

Thanks for your feedback. I am absolutely horrible at formatting to be honest, but I am going to speak to my buddy @Mimglow who enters all this data for me on how we can improve that specific aspect of the table.

Fussball, thank you for taking over the list - it is usually a thankless job so good on you.

One thing though, the list needs to be posted in the first post of this thread and not linked to an external site. 

I have to be honest. I hate the look of the old list. The google document is perfect as it allows for more information and formatting. RNO is jus hosting my content, the list exists on is own in one of my Google accounts without an end date or any other limitations. Thanks for your understanding.

I have to be honest. I hate the look of the old list. The google document is perfect as it allows for more information and formatting. RNO is jus hosting my content, the list exists on is own in one of my Google accounts without an end date or any other limitations. Thanks for your understanding.

Sorry but those are the rules and there is no negotiating. Myself and Joe McCarthy maintained the list on multiple sites when we maintained the list and so can you.

The idea is that the MOACA list is property of the Voyageurs and that we are the safe keepers of said property. Hosting the list on an external site is essentially outsourcing something that numerous people have worked hard to maintain for this supporters group for almost 20 years.

This. And it is nothing against other people doing great work, it is about some things being worked on for years, decades, collectively, often with a lot of time spent on them. Uninterestedly. Which is why the list should be on this site, on this thread, however uncomfortable that might seem. I do not agree that less than 48 hours after someone asks for relief from the task the criteria changes, like that. 

Also, if the criteria is going to change, we need to discuss it. Example: Jamie starts a thread about consolidating threads, cleaning up the site, and then patiently hears out comments that have been dribbling in for a week or so. That is the right way to do it.

If not, I would simply ask again who would like to take over the thread, as is, with freedom to do agreed upon alterations in criteria, and then see what folks have to say. All over again.

The idea is that the MOACA list is property of the Voyageurs and that we are the safe keepers of said property. Hosting the list on an external site is essentially outsourcing something that numerous people have worked hard to maintain for this supporters group for almost 20 years.

I frankly find that notion ridicilous. This is freely available information for anyone to find online and nobody's property at all. If anything it is common property and belongs to everyone.

I frankly find your tone (and I quote: "those are the rules and there is no negotiation") completely counter-productive.

The google document belongs to everyone, Canucks Abroad is an interactive process on twitter, I write on red nation online because its easier than hosting my own website and I do frequent Canucks Abroad section on Two Solitudes (Canadian Soccer News). My aim is not to promote a certain brand or website, I simply want to spread soccer in our wonderful country.

If the name RNO in the url is an issue for people, I am willing to compromise and post a more neutral link for the website.

I will use a google document for tracking though, as I find it infinitely more useful than the old way. 

I frankly find that notion ridicilous. This is freely available information for anyone to find online and nobody's property at all. If anything it is common property and belongs to everyone.

I frankly find your tone (and I quote: "those are the rules and there is no negotiation") completely counter-productive.

The google document belongs to everyone, Canucks Abroad is an interactive process on twitter, I write on red nation online because its easier than hosting my own website and I do frequent Canucks Abroad section on Two Solitudes (Canadian Soccer News). My aim is not to promote a certain brand or website, I simply want to spread soccer in our wonderful country.

If the name RNO in the url is an issue for people, I am willing to compromise and post a more neutral link for the website.

I will use a google document for tracking though, as I find it infinitely more useful than the old way. 

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, however i'm sure you'll find alot of senior V's  would rather not relinquish a piece of our tradition. If you can't understand that then i'm sorry, but i'm not going to budge on my opposition to you moving our list over to an external site. The info. may be public knowledge, but our seperate, sovereign list must remain on this site. No one is stopping you from posting your list wherever you like, but if you take on the position of maintaining the V's MOACA it should temain on our site, shared or not.

As with anything on this site there should be input from everyone, especially the senior members, contributors, past stewards and leaders.

Excuse us Fussball, but it is by no means ridiculous. And it is not about property, in a strict sense, it is about who we are and what we do as a collective.

But following your logic, why don't you take your list off your site and put a link on your site to the Voyageurs site where all the Canucks Abroad will be found, and where they were found even in the last century when I first started visiting the board, well before you or any other thought it might be a fun thing to follow online? 

I will simply ask the mods to freeze the new thread and restore the former thread until this resolved. No hurry.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

How was the original decision on the format for the MOACA made? Was it simply the best format that could be found at the time or were there other reasons given for it to be in that format? I'm afraid my tenure around here doesn't extend back long enough to know how it all came about. If an external link is the most efficient way for Jon to maintain the list (obviously a labour intensive task as several others of you understand) then that also needs to be considered. As long as the integrity of the data is maintained and Jon makes a commitment that this data will still be part of this site if something changes, then maybe his outlined approach will have to do.

Additionally I think it's a bit unfortunate that a guy who has volunteered to assume this task is faced with what is essentially an ultimatum within the first 24 hours.  

Edited by rob.notenboom

I just finished work and am just now reading this.  All I can say is I apologize if my departure from the thread is causing any unexpected conflict.  I, for one, as someone who was not a senior V when the thread was even made...I am personally indifferent on the matter of how it is hosted.  But I'm relatively new, just like Jon, so...

I remember, though, when I did take the thread over from jpg, there was an interim period of a month or so where absolutely noone wanted the task.  The only reason I even stepped in was because noone else would.

So here's the million dollar question...I was simply hoping to step away, so if Jon is willing to step in and do it his way...I'm all for that, and support fussball eh in that.

The only alternative then for those that wish for the traditional approach, is to find someone willing to do it in the traditional way.  I can see jpg doing it very begrudgingly, or myself doing it begrudgingly, but here we have Fussball Eh who has been chomping at the bit WANTING to do this and loving it.  Maybe he could be convinced respectfully to do it the traditional way, but then he is comfortable with his google doc and used to it.  The initial time on him trying to change that information to the board way, with the info he would like to provide is HOURS on HOURS of work (trust me)

So with all that information, what's the best resolution, really?

Edited by madmonte

If ever Jon doesn't want to/can't do it anymore, would it be possible for the next person to have access to that file and take over or would it be easy to transfer it somewhere?

If so, i think the google doc is fine. He is putting a lot of time in this so he should have some liberty on how he wants to present it.

If ever Jon doesn't want to/can't do it anymore, would it be possible for the next person to have access to that file and take over or would it be easy to transfer it somewhere?

If so, i think the google doc is fine. He is putting a lot of time in this so he should have some liberty on how he wants to present it.

Yes, in fact the whole point of the google document is so that multiple people can edit it.