NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

40 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

He's a centre back I think?

Looked him up on transfermarket. Looks like primarily central midfielder but also plays CB. From Ottawa, went to TFC Academy, then Dinamo Zagreb U19 then Slovakia.

Edited by archer21

• 2 weeks later...

An interview with Eskander Mzoughi (google translate seems to work ok) who is in the OH Leuven academy.   He should be playing with the U-21 team this year, as a 16 year old, but who knows how things will play out.

https://www.ettachkila.com/interview-eskander-mzoughi-je-suis-un-grand-competiteur-et-je-souhaite-toujours-mameliorer/

"We know that you were born in Canada but that you also have Tunisian nationality. Have you had any contact with the two Federations? If so, in what framework?

I had contacts with the Canadian federation which presented me with a development program for young players within the framework of the 2026 World Cup (scheduled for Canada and the USA). I also received an invitation for an internship this summer with the U20s of Canada, but everything was finally canceled due to the covid-19 pandemic.
Regarding the Tunisian federation, there is nothing concrete for the moment."

7 hours ago, Buchta said:

An interview with Eskander Mzoughi (google translate seems to work ok) who is in the OH Leuven academy.   He should be playing with the U-21 team this year, as a 16 year old, but who knows how things will play out.

https://www.ettachkila.com/interview-eskander-mzoughi-je-suis-un-grand-competiteur-et-je-souhaite-toujours-mameliorer/

"We know that you were born in Canada but that you also have Tunisian nationality. Have you had any contact with the two Federations? If so, in what framework?

I had contacts with the Canadian federation which presented me with a development program for young players within the framework of the 2026 World Cup (scheduled for Canada and the USA). I also received an invitation for an internship this summer with the U20s of Canada, but everything was finally canceled due to the covid-19 pandemic.
Regarding the Tunisian federation, there is nothing concrete for the moment."

I love this part. As we've speculated, Sounds like they are using the 2026 WC to their advantage in recruiting. In this case it seems to be working. 

On 3/5/2020 at 4:24 PM, Buchta said:

Liam Thompson has signed with Assisense in Brazil.  He is a 20 year old keeper and I think he played in League 1 Ontario last year.

https://m.futebolinterior.com.br/noticias/assisense-contrata-primeiro-jogador-estrangeiro-de-sua-historia

Assisense plays in Campeonato Paulista Segunda Divisão Sub 23, a state championship

due to covid19, the league, popular called Bezinha thru fans and local media will only start in october, i will bring the news from this league and his team en route to Campeonato Paulista Série A3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 1:12 PM, aredding77 said:

Malik Owolabi-Belewu

Born July 3, 2002.

Centre-Back currently with Toronto FC academy U-19's.

https://twitter.com/justinowolabi16

I realize that probably isn't the greatest source, but according to this website which details various Nigerian soccer players, he has been invited to train with Chelsea with a possibility of a transfer from TFC.  The article also goes on to say that he's also being looked at by R.S.C. Anderlecht of the Belgian Jupiler Pro League. 

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=36427

I followed him on Instagram and it looks like he landed in England a few weeks ago and is training with a local football trainer.  Seems promising!

Owolabi is reportedly close to signing with S.P.A.L. in Italy's Serie B after impressing on trial.

8 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Owolabi is reportedly close to signing with S.P.A.L. in Italy's Serie B after impressing on trial.

SPAL Ferrara, Serie B, sounds like a nice play to be, they just dropped out of Serie A. 

Just checked the roster, seems they are short quite a few players and have only held on to younger guys and those with lesser salaries. So they do need to sign.

I watched some home matches of SPAL last winter, nice cozy stadium.

I'd take a half a dozen Canadians in Serie B any day.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Dani Fernandes, I know he's not eligible for us but I think people appreciate hearing the latest. He spent two seasons at Farense in Portugal 2nd tier, as sub keeper, and now has signed for a team in Malta, Tarxien Rainbows, who were last in the top flight last season but did not relegate, not sure why. He turns 37 next week. 

I'd heard he'd gotten his first FIFA coaching license a while back, and know he was in Vancouver with some investments in gyms for a period before signing in Portugal again. I would suppose this is a last hurrah.

How can Malta have 14 teams in top flight, in a country with half a million people? 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Dani Fernandes, I know he's not eligible for us but I think people appreciate hearing the latest. He spent two seasons at Farense in Portugal 2nd tier, as sub keeper, and now has signed for a team in Malta, Tarxien Rainbows, who were last in the top flight last season but did not relegate, not sure why. He turns 37 next week. 

I'd heard he'd gotten his first FIFA coaching license a while back, and know he was in Vancouver with some investments in gyms for a period before signing in Portugal again. I would suppose this is a last hurrah.

How can Malta have 14 teams in top flight, in a country with half a million people? 

He would be eligible still

15 minutes ago, jordan said:

He would be eligible still

Not sure. He was capped for Portugal vs. Kuwait I believe it was. Regardless, he is not going to be a Canadian national keeper or part of the mix, but he could certainly consider the CPL if he thought he could get some satisfaction from playing in Canada after two decades away.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I guess they don't have 15-year long debates on their messageboards about the impact of travel costs to national league viability, eh? Joking aside, I've always wondered how they pay salaries with attendances they have. I once read that you can watch two games for 10$, and the league draws 100,000 spectators total, all teams, all games combined ... many teams sharing one of two or three stadiums ... and yet their league is full of foreigners. People will go anywhere to play soccer.

4 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

I guess they don't have 15-year long debates on their messageboards about the impact of travel costs to national league viability, eh? Joking aside, I've always wondered how they pay salaries with attendances they have. I once read that you can watch two games for 10$, and the league draws 100,000 spectators total, all teams, all games combined ... many teams sharing one of two or three stadiums ... and yet their league is full of foreigners. People will go anywhere to play soccer.

Malta’s a nice place to live in the Med and reasonably affordable. I spent the summer of the France World Cup there on Gozo. I really nice memory. 

Edited by An Observer
Grammar

12 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Yesterday their rep team in Europa League won, beat Linfield, so that suggests a decent level.

BTW, they have a second division with 14 teams as well.