Ayo Akinola

masster

1 minute ago, Snowcrash said:

I think the couple of sitters that he missed are more telling than the two he got, even the first one which was a cracker of a finish.

It's a small sample size but it's like the Kingsley Coman school of finishing.  You make highlight reel plays and goals but you miss absolute sitters.

It’s a huge exaggeration to term those two “sitters” especially the first one. The second one he should have scored on - he beat the keeper but didn’t connect enough with ball. But the first one was not a “sitter” in any way.

If he commits to Canada, great, he's clearly behind all of Larin, Cavallini, and David, but it wouldn't hurt to have another option. He's a strong and big guy, and could easily play in a 2 man attack. As a TFC fan though, I'm glad someone other than Jozy can start finding the net.

7 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

I think the couple of sitters that he missed are more telling than the two he got, even the first one which was a cracker of a finish.

It's a small sample size but it's like the Kingsley Coman school of finishing.  You make highlight reel plays and goals but you miss absolute sitters.

I know you understandably hold a grudge cause he hasn't committed to Canada, but you're really reaching to negate any positives he had today and it just comes off as petty. The fact is he had a very good performance given his age, and has tons left to grow.

4 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

If he commits to Canada, great, he's clearly behind all of Larin, Cavallini, and David, but it wouldn't hurt to have another option. He's a strong and big guy, and could easily play in a 2 man attack. As a TFC fan though, I'm glad someone other than Jozy can start finding the net.

Poz led the team in scoring last year if I remember correctly, Osorio and Deleon kicked in, hamilton was great, 4 goals in 600min...whoops Vanney ran him out of town.  I was hoping Piatti would pick up some of that slack, bag 5-10 goals like Vasquez used to.  Kudos to Akinola, it'll be hard for Vanney to bury him on the bench in favor of Mullins after a few games like that.  As my Dad always says, you got to make hay while the sun is shining.  Jozy will eventually be back and minutes will be hard to come by.

If Akinola can find a way to score 10-12 goals a year he wouldn’t be far off Cavallini I don’t think. Puebla wasn’t great and Vancouver hasn’t  done much to make him successful(Small sample size but pushed him to the corners very early). 

Though I’d love to see Peruzza get a shot. 

Formation wise,  not many may get a chance anyway over the next 5-7 years

1 hour ago, jordan said:

If Akinola can find a way to score 10-12 goals a year he wouldn’t be far of Cavallini I don’t think. Puebla wasn’t great and Vancouver hasn’t  done much to make him successful(Small sample size but pushed him to the corners very early). 

Though I’d love to see Peruzza get a shot. 

Formation wise,  not many may get a chance anyway over the next 5-7 years

Seriously? It is far too early to be dismissing Cava's run with the Caps! He's played two professional games, that's all.

14 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Seriously? It is far too early to be dismissing Cava's run with the Caps! He's played two professional games, that's all.

Yeah well I watched a lot of Puebla over his time there, the slide started well before going to the caps

Edit also my comparison is based on Ayo scoring more goals then he ever has, I’m not saying they are close, I’m saying 10-12 goals could make them close 

Clearly he monitors this site and took some motivation out of the dismissiveness of some of  the earlier posts.

Seriously though, injuries happen, strikers go in and out of form, and David is better as a AM or secondary withdrawn forward.  2 out and out target forwards (Cava and Larin) is not enough depth to be dismissive of any prospect.  I don't love Akinola but he has some interesting qualities for a kid of his physical strength.

42 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Clearly he monitors this site and took some motivation out of the dismissiveness of some of  the earlier posts.

Seriously though, injuries happen, strikers go in and out of form, and David is better as a AM or secondary withdrawn forward.  2 out and out target forwards (Cava and Larin) is not enough depth to be dismissive of any prospect.  I don't love Akinola but he has some interesting qualities for a kid of his physical strength.

Theo Bair is a striker before he is a winger! 
For me even if Ayo committed tomorrow, he’s still behind Theo. Liam hasn’t quite figured out if he’s a winger or a striker, and Terran Campbell is another guy to keep an eye on.

All this to say, he did have a good game that could’ve been great if he put 2 of the 3 chances he missed. However I’m not digressing from what I’ve said a few days ago. It’s still early.

He is far from a lock in either national pool. Still likely has better options with Canada. Certainly wouldnt snub him if he saw sense and switched back home ;)

It is nice not to be that bothered either way for once! 

Edit: agree he is behind Bair, competing with Brym if he gets games. Dependent on the next year or so attardo, Campbell and ongaro could figure. Ricketts, David, Cavs, Larin, Akindele, maybe even AJH all ahead of him too.

Edited by toontownman

....Ricketts, sigh. It’s crazy when you look at our pool, and when his name pops up you have to remember he’s our active top goal scorer and 4th all-time.

but naw Ayo would be ahead for me, he has no touch or simple hold up play.

35 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He is far from a lock in either national pool. Still likely has better options with Canada. Certainly wouldnt snub him if he saw sense and switched back home ;)

It is nice not to be that bothered either way for once! 

Edit: agree he is behind Bair, competing with Brym if he gets games. Dependent on the next year or so attardo, Campbell and ongaro could figure. Ricketts, David, Cavs, Larin, Akindele, maybe even AJH all ahead of him too.

err... the only players better are David, Larin, and Cavalini.. I'm sorry, but guys like AKindele, RIcketts, and AJH are left in the dust. Ayo is clearly a step up in quality from them.

25 minutes ago, Shway said:

....Ricketts, sigh. It’s crazy when you look at our pool, and when his name pops up you have to remember he’s our active top goal scorer and 4th all-time.

but naw Ayo would be ahead for me, he has no touch or simple hold up play.

There's something to be said for showing up for one's national team and performing when called upon. You won't find me throwing any shade at Ricketts.

1 minute ago, LeoH037 said:

err... the only players better are David, Larin, and Cavalini.. I'm sorry, but guys like AKindele, RIcketts, and AJH are left in the dust. Ayo is clearly a step up in quality from them.

"Clearly".  LOL.  It's one decent game.  Let's see him string together some good performances and then maybe he can be compared to those players. 

23 minutes ago, jonovision said:

There's something to be said for showing up for one's national team and performing when called upon. You won't find me throwing any shade at Ricketts.

I get it. Trust me I do.

I also do hope we are past the days of that being a feel good statement.

5 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

"Clearly".  LOL.  It's one decent game.  Let's see him string together some good performances and then maybe he can be compared to those players. 

It's crazy. Ayo and Jordan Hamilton had these kind of games with tfc in the past. They'll get a goal, everybody gets excited, and than they do fuck all for the next 5 games that reminds you that they desperately need to improve on certain things before getting hyped. He needs to show consistency, which he hasn't in the past. Than you could start making an argument for him.

In the end of the day, this still felt like a "friendly" match. These players haven't played in months and when they finally do, it's early in the morning in a hot summer day. Not a normal situation to judge by any means imo.

Edited by Colliedor

9 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Slow down there, its great to get excited, however, Akindele has managed to put up good seasons including rookie of the year, vs one good game for Ayo.  One game at a time....