Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Soft red in my opinion, was it a second yellow or straight red? He should not have done it but not much force there. His fingers (open hand) did not make contact with face or head, most leagues have a no policy hands to face, even if there is 0 mark on opponents face. Did not see any contact with face or head there.

Looked more like an arm swing/flare of his arm, open fingers, after a foul was called. Almost like he was saying "get out of here" with that call. Hopefully the other guy got a red for rushing him, two handed pushing him from behind and leaning in for a head butt (head down). 

*Edit- just confirmed the other player Mario Humberto Osuna was also given a red from the incident. Should have checked before I went to defend our CMNT player.^* 

Edited by apbsmith

Puebla tend to play in a 5-4-1 and 4-4-2

Lucas looks great in both roles with his strong hold up play, and passing vision of the field.

I would love to see Herdman find a way to have David and Cav on the field at same time. I think it would be a very potent striking duo and there skill sets compliment each other nicely. 

*over time I am hoping David develops as one of the top #9's in all of Concacaf* - which would also allow us to have them both on the field at the same time :)

3 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Soft red in my opinion, was it a second yellow or straight red? He should not have done it but not much force there. His fingers (open hand) did not make contact with face or head, most leagues have a no policy hands to face, even if there is 0 mark on opponents face. Did not see any contact with face or head there.

Looked more like an arm swing/flare of his arm, open fingers, after a foul was called. Almost like he was saying "get out of here" with that call. Hopefully the other guy got a red for rushing him, two handed pushing him from behind and leaning in for a head butt (head down). 

*Edit- just confirmed the other player Mario Humberto Osuna was also given a red from the incident. Should have checked before I went to defend our CMNT player.^* 

That's a solid red anywhere, he lost his composure and let the heat of the moment get the best of him.

Edited by LeoH037

8 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

That's a solid red anywhere, he lost his composure and let the heat of the moment get the best of him.

Fair enough, I've seen way worse been given a yellow, that was the point I was trying to make.

Hopefully he learns from his mistake and keeps his composure in the future, his team definitely missed him in the PK's.

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

Soft red, but the second Mr. Hothead shoved him though that was going to be matching reds.

"soft red" is still a red, and I don't care that he is Canadian, but Lucas knew what he was doing and had no business touching another player while the ball was not in play. Both players should have been booted off the field.

6 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

"soft red" is still a red, and I don't care that he is Canadian, but Lucas knew what he was doing and had no business touching another player while the ball was not in play. Both players should have been booted off the field.

Players "touch" each other all the time, it's a sport. Look at the still, he's nudging the guy because he's still playing on after the whistle. The opponents response was disproportionate, but it's par for the course in Mexico where there are so many hotheads who start shoving "brawls" every other match.

5 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Players "touch" each other all the time, it's a sport. Look at the still, he's nudging the guy because he's still playing on after the whistle. The opponents response was disproportionate, but it's par for the course in Mexico where there are so many hotheads who start shoving "brawls" every other match.

I am sure he is used to ip playing in Uruguay, but maybe a reminder that this bullshit is littered throughout CONCACAF might not be a bad idea.  Its great to play with passion and fire, but there are certain clear lines that you have to respect or else you will get sent off.  Some Honduran douchebag sure isn't above taking a dive to get one of our guys sent of so keep your hands to yourself.  Want revenge?  Send em home packing from WCQ.  That will be far more satisfying that a shove in the back. 

17 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Of course that still  shows absolutely nothing, as the frame literally takes place AFTER he made contact. Lucas swung his arm violently, good try tho (not really). It was a half-assed karate chop, clear as day on the video, and its a deserved red regardless of how "soft" you as an observer perceive it to be (which is of course irrelevant even if you could somehow measure the transfer of energy and change in momentum involved upon contact) the contact was there and it wasn't just a "touch", stop defending it just cause he is Canadian, its hypocritical and its unacceptable behavior from a player that has no place in the sport. I'm glad Cavallini has passion, but first most he is supposed to be a professional and should know when to walk away from such shenanigans. I'm pretty positive you would not be arguing against it if it was Lucas on the receiving end of it. And newsflash, they were both hotheads.

Edited by LeoH037

This picture is was taken a few frames prior to the the picture posted above... why do I post this, to show how ludicrous it is to post an isolated frame from a video and attempt to draw a conclusion from it... is he karate chopping the guy? Perhaps he is trying to grab the shoulders to turn the guy towards him? Or maybe he just giving him a friendly tap on the back... I could always post more frames to get a better picture of what's going on sure, but that's silly since that's what we have a video for...

karate.png

26 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Of course that still  shows absolutely nothing, as the frame literally takes place AFTER he made contact. Lucas swung his arm violently, good try tho (not really). It was a half-assed karate chop, clear as day on the video, and its a deserved red regardless of how "soft" you as an observer perceive it to be (which is of course irrelevant even if you could somehow measure the transfer of energy and change in momentum involved upon contact) the contact was there and it wasn't just a "touch", stop defending it just cause he is Canadian, its hypocritical and its unacceptable behavior from a player that has no place in the sport. I'm glad Cavallini has passion, but first most he is supposed to be a professional and should know when to walk away from such shenanigans. I'm pretty positive you would not be arguing against it if it was Lucas on the receiving end of it. And newsflash, they were both hotheads.

"Stop defending him because he's Canadian". What part of my statement implies that? Take your latin american bias out of the equation, in how many leagues in the world does that get a straight red if the player doesn't shove him in the back? In Italy or Spain even the ref would probably wave their complaints away and tell them to get on with the game and Cavallini and the guy would argue 10 feet away from each other as they walk and talk with their hands and the Cavs would make some conciliatory gesture touching his face or hand on the head or some shit. But no it's Mexico, the land of the shoving match. Literally like a third of El Tri matches i've seen has some kind of shoving match at some point.

edit: I just watched it again, still a soft call. The opponent keeps playing after the whistle and Cavs swings his arm in a dismissive fashion. Talk about hair trigger temper. No way that's red if the situation doesn't escalate. Ref gives him a talking to, yellow at most.

Edited by jpg75

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Yes it is a soft red but I am happy he got it because we don't want him getting soft reds against Honduras in WCQ. If he doesn't swing at the guy the ref has no opportunity to give him any punishment so hopefully he will learn from that and refrain from such stuff in the future.

...and i am in full agreement that it's a teaching moment. With his playing style he'll be engaged in physical battles with CB's and there'll be opportunity for confrontation. So he'll have to be smarter.

It's a little bit of a soft red in my opinion as well but as soon as make that motion or contact, you really can't have any complaints for being sent off.  Sometimes these borderline calls go unpunished but he took the risk so no complaints.  Cavallini was actually a bit lucky the other player was sent off as well.  Hopefully he'll use this a learning opportunity.

Edited by Corazon

33 minutes ago, Corazon said:

It's a little bit of a soft red in my opinion as well but as soon as make that motion or contact, you really can't have any complaints for being sent off.  Sometimes these borderline calls go unpunished but he took the risk so no complaints.  Cavallini was actually a bit lucky the other player was sent off as well.  Hopefully he'll use this a learning opportunity.

Its kind of like contact in the box.  Yeah you could argue that it didn't deserve a penalty.  And yeah some refs might let it go.  But get your head out of your ass and keep your hands to yourself.  Don't make the ref make a decision about sending you off or giving a penalty.

Edited by dyslexic nam

On 3/1/2019 at 8:15 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

With that red, which game is he suspended for?

Will he play the Liga MX game Monday night?

To answer my own question, it looks like Red Cards from the CopaMX do not transfer over to LigaMX games.

He is in the announced starting XI.

http://mobile.twitter.com/ClubPueblaMX/status/1102720565884960768

Heading to Estadio Cuauhtémoc later this evening.

Perfect evening for a game. No rain, partly cloudy (with a little volcanic cloud on the horizon from Popocatépetl!)

Edit:

Querétaro are bottom of the table, so I am hoping Cavallini and Puebla put on a good show!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I tuned in to this game while in Cuba moments after the red card. The broadcast was in Spanish (and I don't speak Spanish) and I didn't even know he got a red. I was flipping through channels and saw Cavalini for a moment. I wasn't sure if he had just got subbed.

I then watched the shootout and got irritated as hell that the keeper for the winning side was allowed to cheat on every penalty kick against him. He's over a yard in front of the line at the time of the kick every single time. I hate that! But he was rewarded for it.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ansem said:

TOTALLY separate topic but anyone else notice the color saturation on videos from soccer matches in Mexico and South America? Why is the grass nearly neon green?

Edited by mpg_29