Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

15 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think if we play 2 forwards we are in great shape with Larin and Cavalini up top.  If David continues to emerge then he’s a great 3rd option, otherwise we have attacking options. 

IMO Larin and Cavallini strike me as too similar of players for a 2 forward formation to be effective.

Is it just me, or was that very poor goal keeping?

Yeah, with David and Larin finding PT hard to come by in recent weeks, and Cavallini a regular starter and scorer in Mexico, it's not hard to give Lucas the keys to the car here. 

On a side note, anyone else find the triple digits on jerseys in Mexico bush league?

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Is it just me, or was that very poor goal keeping?

On a side note, anyone else find the triple digits on jerseys in Mexico bush league?

Goal keeping was not much goal keeping... They looked like easy saves. 

I get why Mexico has high numbers (triple digits) like that because those players are likely academy players. What I don't get is how they get to 300.

3 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I get why Mexico has high numbers (triple digits) like that because those players are likely academy players. What I don't get is how they get to 300.

Yeah I get it's given to academy players, but it just looks really stupid and unprofessional (from my non-mexican vantage point).

I honestly don't know the answer to that either, but would love someone to come around here and explain why 300 could be used.

I feel like it's just a case where, if you're an academy player, you just pick a triple digit of any kind, and this guy chose 300. I think that is more likely than him being the 300th guy in the system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ansem said:

Canada's #1 striker. Period

I'm not sure how a garbage goal is evidence of that statement, or how his performance against Dominica compared to Larin's could possibly support that.

We have two great strikers, and repeating over and over again that Cavallini is strictly better while ignoring obvious evidence to the contrary doesn't make it true.

4 minutes ago, Zem said:

I'm not sure how a garbage goal is evidence of that statement, or how his performance against Dominica compared to Larin's could possibly support that.

We have two great strikers, and repeating over and over again that Cavallini is strictly better while ignoring obvious evidence to the contrary doesn't make it true.

The obvious evidence that Cavallini is currently better is that Cavallini is playing and scoring while Larin isn't doing either of those things.

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

The obvious evidence that Cavallini is currently better is that Cavallini is playing and scoring while Larin isn't doing either of those things.

Except, as I said, you're completely ignoring their recent play for the NT. Both were solid against USVI, but Cav was terrible against Dominica and if it had been Larin missing those chances he would have been absolutely crucified on these forums. But it's Cavallini, so we just act like it never happened.

29 minutes ago, Zem said:

Except, as I said, you're completely ignoring their recent play for the NT. Both were solid against USVI, but Cav was terrible against Dominica and if it had been Larin missing those chances he would have been absolutely crucified on these forums. But it's Cavallini, so we just act like it never happened.

You're ignoring club play, and while the sample size is small Cavallini seems to be linking up better with his teammates for Canada, than Larin. There wasn't anything about Larin's play against Dominica that stood out, other than his goal.

First it wasn’t a garbage goal, he should have done better initially but a goals a goal. Puebla chased the game exclusively at that point and worked hard to counter. Cavallini goes from the right side in his own half down to oppositions left to put that in the net. 

Cavallini is going to give more right now, it’s not even close. I watched the game last night and they got pumped by Tigres. Worked his butt off all game even when there was nothing to play he was trying to claw the game back(half chance at a  bad angle that he continued to track after the goalie pushed it away, and a shot from distance). Cav is going to work better in Canada’s attacking formation, and link better with Davies, And Millar right now.

Larin I think is fifth choice now  not getting off the bench, he’d be better off staying in Turkey and playing in the Friendly Besiktas has during each international break.

The guy who will be our clear #1 striker is the guy who is going to be scoring regularly for us when we start playing good teams. The Canadian national team history is full of guys who scored more for their clubs than the national team for a variety of reasons. Based on club form and league level Cavallini is the favourite and will likely get the first chance but it is useless to talk about a number 1 striker until one of them starts scoring goals against the likes of Honduras, Panama, the US and Mexico.

5 hours ago, Zem said:

No, it was Dominica, so we act as we should: as if it were not important in the end.

Larin is actually letting his club down, who are sorely missing his goals. Cavallini, albeit on a more modest club, is actually doing more than what Puebla fans might ask of the whole team--so he is leading by example, and Larin is on the bench.

For me I would say that Cavallini is our number one Forward in terms of Form.

However, were still in assessment period and that could change come the Gold Cup

Whats great is just how different they are as players, Lucas a typical South American “9” while Cyle is a clinical finisher, natural 

You can make the argument that one is  talent the other is hard work. I’m just happy to have Two choices instead of one

In CONCACAF you need that! Neither can get lazy 

In terms of strategy too will depend who we play against 

I think Cavallini will be better suited to playing the stronger teams in CONCACAF where we need to grind out the result a bit more. He's physical, gives CBs shit, aggressive, high work rate, holds the ball up well, and brings teammates into play. This is a lot of value-added without even talking about goals, of which he is no slouch. For a team like us, I think he's a natural starter.

19 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

For me I would say that Cavallini is our number one Forward in terms of Form.

However, were still in assessment period and that could change come the Gold Cup

Whats great is just how different they are as players, Lucas a typical South American “9” while Cyle is a clinical finisher, natural 

You can make the argument that one is  talent the other is hard work. I’m just happy to have Two choices instead of one

In CONCACAF you need that! Neither can get lazy 

In terms of strategy too will depend who we play against 

This may have been true during his time in Orlando (though some attribute his production to the number of chances he got), but for Besiktas and the CMNT, this isn't really the case.  

That is one of the reasons why I prefer Cav.  Though neither has been prolific for us, Cav's creates spaces for others - and with the skill we have in mid that will likely also result in team goals.  My concern with Larin as a poacher is that if he isn't getting goals, or is wasteful during clear cut chances, he brings less to the team in terms of secondary contributions. 

While I think Cavallini is the better player overall at the moment, I think Larin gives us a solid second option. I agree with everyone that Lucas does stuff off the ball better than Larin, but the work Cyle does off the ball is still good. I would even say it is above average compared to what we were accustomed to in previous cycles. I think at minimum Larin's hold up play is as good as Occean's was, and he is more mobile than Friend ever was.

I am quite pleased we have two viable options. I don't think we lose too much if we opt to go with Larin over Cavallini.