Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

^^^asinine beyond words. I've suggested CanPL should look at what the ECHL or WHL does which revolves around long distance bus travel that could be 10 hours plus overnight because I'm worried about the implications of a $25 million annual collective loss for the CanPL/CSB project for the longevity of the league. Meanwhile the furthest the top division of the NSW NPL ever gets from Sydney is Woolongong or Gosford which is not much different from York United playing a game in Hamilton.

But what does any of that have to do with whether signings like this actually do anything to boost the quality of the league? For every Klomp or Bassett I see two or three guys that no doubt still have to be offered some decent coin by CanPL standards to make the move to another country but aren't providing anything that likely couldn't have been found in Canada so I think they could afford to cut back to three import signings per roster and focus on quality not quantity in that context.

Maybe Jordi Swibel will surprise me but not holding my breath based on what we've seen so far from other Aussie signings.

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^asinine beyond words. I've suggested CanPL should look at what the ECHL or WHL does which revolves around long distance bus travel that could be 10 hours plus overnight because I'm worried about the implications of a $25 million annual collective loss for the CanPL/CSB project for the longevity of the league. Meanwhile the furthest the top division of the NSW NPL ever gets from Sydney is Woolongong or Gosford which is not much different from York United playing a game in Hamilton.

But what does any of that have to do with whether signings like this actually do anything to boost the quality of the league? For every Klomp or Bassett I see two or three guys that no doubt still have to be offered some decent coin by CanPL standards to make the move to another country but aren't providing anything that likely couldn't have been found in Canada so I think they could afford to cut back to three import signings per roster and focus on quality not quantity in that context.

Maybe Jordi Swibel will surprise me but not holding my breath based on what we've seen so far from other Aussie signings.

Maybe CPL should just keep doing what they're doing

Valour are cheap. Therefore the foreign signings they get are cheap. I imagine most are cheaper than the domestic players. I don't know about other teams in CPL, but there seems to be a certain class of low-level professional that uses playing football is a way to earn a bit of money while seeing the world. Guys like Jose Galan, Adam Mitter, and Jaime Siaj are past Valour plays that fit this bill. I don't think there's anything wrong with players taking that approach, but I also agree that they are unlikely to leave much of an impression on the team or the league.

Hopefully Swibel is a young guy on the up. If a player in League 1 Ontario (and his video highlights do have a very L1O vibe) had his strike rate, you wouldn't be surprised to see a CPL team take a flyer on him. If he turns out to be good, it won't matter the least bit to me that he's not Canadian.

Maybe since they just sold Pacifique for a fee, they arent as dum as they seem.  Take a chance on some guy from Australia, he has a so so season here and sell him on to a USL-C team for a profit.  I'd rather this Swibel bang in half a dozen and stay with Valour, get some stability to that lineup, build a relationship with the fans.   And rememeber, its not just foreign guys we have brought in that have been busts.  

1 hour ago, Wippersuna said:

Also consider he’s replacing Novak, Selemani, Siaj and Ponce so hey how could it hurt.

We were debating the merits of keeping Ponce who had 6 goals in 2 seasons so let’s not pretend the bar he has to jump over is sky high. 

Similar track record to Niyongabire.  Both struggled in the A-League, both lit up the NPL. (which sounds similar to the NextPro?)  Mourdoukoutas and recent Cavalry recruit, Lleyton Brooks, also had similar limited success in the A-League.  If these guys were successful in the A-League they won't be headed to the CanPL.

Valour still need to add some Canadians to the lineup, including 2 more U21's.  Hoping they stumble across a Canadian who can add a few goals.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The three top scorers and half of the Best XI in CPL last year were internationals. Four golden boot winners in a row and three most valuable players in a row have been internationals. A Canadian has never won Defender of the year or Coach of the year. Some players miss, but I don't think its remotely fair to say internationals aren't adding to the quality of the league or that optics are the reason internationals part of the league.

16 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Wait, you're questioning the optics of signing a player from a regional bus league? That's a bit rich considering it's exactly what you want CPL to be

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for mocking the forum's resident fuckwit. However, he's not coming from a regional bus league. NPL players would be driving to home and away matches in their own cars, for the most part.

^^^on the couple of occasions I have been asked to take a formal IQ test over the years I have been told I'm somewhere in the top 2% of the population in intellect terms so when somebody posts something like this I am more likely to laugh at how pathetic and cowardly they are than anything else.

21 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

Also consider he’s replacing Novak, Selemani, Siaj and Ponce so hey how could it hurt...

You also have Shaan Hundal to do that as a Canadian solution to the issue as well though and it's maybe worth remembering that several CanPL clubs declined to give Mo Farsi a chance and players like Stefan Mitrovic and Niko Sigur flew under the radar when there was still a chance that CanPL could have been where they received their first pro level contract. There are reasons to believe significant talents are still being missed closer to home. How many guys like Stefan Mitrovic drift out of the sport and wind up working on a construction site because their father doesn't believe in their potential the way the infamous Ivan did?

It didn't go down well with League HQ at the time by all accounts but there's a lot to be said for signing a couple of more experienced players like Michele Paolucci because of the way that they can pass on their experience to their younger team mates rather than a younger guy who couldn't cut it in the Israeli second division. Sometimes you get a Meyer Bevan but there have been more Stephen Hoyle and Emmanuel Robe type signings when raking about in the bargain bins overseas for younger players like that.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for mocking the forum's resident fuckwit. However, he's not coming from a regional bus league. NPL players would be driving to home and away matches in their own cars, for the most part.

Fair enough about travel distances but that's not really my point. The argument that is being made is that the perceived and actual quality of the league is low or reduced by the league being regional and having a bunch more teams than if it were a nationwide second division. As such the transfer value of players coming from that league should also not be considered high. I don't disagree per se as I don't follow Australian soccer, but that position seems diametrically opposed to what Ozzie has been arguing for the Canadian top flight for however many years. If we lower the quality of our league by making it regional and adding a bunch more teams, what will that do for the quality and perceived quality from suitor clubs and therefore the pathway we're trying to develop for Canadian players

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^on the couple of occasions I have been asked to take a formal IQ test over the years I have been told I'm somewhere in the top 2% of the population in intellect terms so when somebody posts something like this I am more likely to laugh at how pathetic and cowardly they are than anything else.

You also have Shaan Hundal to do that as a Canadian solution to the issue as well though and it's maybe worth remembering that several CanPL clubs declined to give Mo Farsi a chance and players like Stefan Mitrovic and Niko Sigur flew under the radar when there was still a chance that CanPL could have been where they received their first pro level contract. There are reasons to believe significant talents are still being missed closer to home. How many guys like Stefan Mitrovic drift out of the sport and wind up working on a construction site because their father doesn't believe in their potential the way the infamous Ivan did?

It didn't go down well with League HQ at the time by all accounts but there's a lot to be said for signing a couple of more experienced players like Michele Paolucci because of the way that they can pass on their experience to their younger team mates rather than a younger guy who couldn't cut it in the Israeli second division. Sometimes you get a Meyer Bevan but there have been more Stephen Hoyle and Emmanuel Robe type signings when raking about in the bargain bins overseas for younger players like that.

I think you're a smart guy. I just think you should use your powers for good not evil. 

You're entire thing is creating doubt and panic around the CPL and their future. You've been doing it for 10 years but you don't need to do it for the next 10. Unfortunately you seem to be having a lot of fun getting reactions out of people 

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

How will I ever be able to carry on, now. 🤣

4 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Just proving the point that IQ tests are about as useful as counting empty seats from YouTube highlight videos. 

The fact that he tries to claim how high his IQ is almost proves the opposite. He's a laughable clown with the weirdest agenda. If I believed he was actually Canadian I would call him a traitor but I very much doubt he is.

7 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Not a new player signing, but new turf is almost as exciting! (not really)

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/winnipeg-football-club-selects-fieldturf-for-ig-field-turf-replacement-in-2024

The words "...until at the least the..." are a bit ominous, but this is something that was badly needed from a quality of soccer standpoint.

People may not like artificial turf but I will say that Canadian stadiums have almost always opted for what is the state of the art for the time and ready for FIFA approval. 

Glad to see Winnipeg finally replacing it's AT, it's been 12 years.  In my experience most in Canada usually get replaced around 8 years, usually timed with hosting a big event

3 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Home opener 2 June?  Against Vancouver?  There is going to be some back loading on the home dates to-be-sure.

Will be away opening round of the Vs Cup as well, I assume.

Is there any other place in Winnipeg to play an early round Voyageurs Cup game if they had to ?