Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I’m not concerned if Ponce doesn’t come back.

Losing Guti would be a big blow.

Gutierrez and de Brienne are the 2 critical re-signing for Valour FC.  Losing both would be a massive setback.

As for Ponce I would place Baquero and Samaké ahead of him in importance (Ohin and AJB too if only we could somehow ensure they stay healthy - with the small roster healthy players becomes critical)

Also, Valour still needs to fill the 3 U21 player requirement - perhaps they will import from europe again?  As they did with Sanchez (currently their only U21 under contract for 2024) and Mzoughi.

Current situation (including all USports picks/"retained"; I may have some out of position):

- Yesli -
Alarcón - Pianelli - Facchineri - Haynes
      Sukunda - Campbell - Sanchez
       Williams - Hundal - Sheppard

bench: Polisi, Murasiranwa, Tissuer

14 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Gutierrez and de Brienne are the 2 critical re-signing for Valour FC.  Losing both would be a massive setback.

As for Ponce I would place Baquero and Samaké ahead of him in importance (Ohin and AJB too if only we could somehow ensure they stay healthy - with the small roster healthy players becomes critical)

Also, Valour still needs to fill the 3 U21 player requirement - perhaps they will import from europe again?  As they did with Sanchez (currently their only U21 under contract for 2024) and Mzoughi.

Current situation (including all USports picks/"retained"; I may have some out of position):

- Yesli -

I believe there is little to no chance de Brienne returns.

21 hours ago, K Edgar said:

- Yesli -

It's no secret we need to sign some players with real offensive chops this offseason.

We need a real goal scorer in addition to signing Hundal. Hundal seems better than the strikers we had last year, but he's not good enough to carry us far on his own. I know this is a tough ask, but Valour can't sign bargain basement strikers again this year. The quality of offseason signings last year was horrendous. 

We also need more offensive pieces at other positions. We haven't had a real AMC since Rea left (Williams seems to be preferred on the wing by PDS despite his lack of pace). We need someone who looks to combine and create/be a scoring threat. They have to be able to actually score sometimes and contribute on the stat sheet. A guy like Sanchez at CM sums up Valour. Younger player who doesn't generate any offence whatsoever.  He had 0 goals and assists in 15 starts and 21 appearances last year. There has to be an end product for our players in offensive positions. Ditto for Polisi - he had 1 goal and 0 assists in 22 matches last season at CM. You can't be serious with both of those guys on the field turning offence into a black hole. Dante Campbell and Ohin (should he be healthy) can be our CDMs. I don't see the use of of a bunch of CMs that don't contribute offensively.

Our leading scorers last year were Williams, Guti and Ponce with 4 and de Brienne with 3. It seems likely Williams will be the only one to return from the group. No other player on the team scored more than one goal except Cela who was a CB midseason emergency signing. That's pathetic.

So, not only do we need to sign the goal scorers we so sorely lacked last year, we will also likely have to sign players to replace 3 of our top 4 goal scorers and clearly our best 2 players. That's a monumental ask. It's also the clubs fault as it's hard to blame the players for wanting to go to an organization that is serious about winning.

Our backline is not as solid as it needs to be, either. If Jordan Haynes starts, than that says it all about the club's ambition.

I really like the draft picks made last week and the off season signings have been decent.

This may sound ridiculous, but the first thing I do this offseason if I'm PDS is ask Kian Williams is if he has any friends that want to join the club. He knew Ollie Bassett from back home. Surely there's got to be another 1 or 2 looking for adventure? No more brutal South Americans please.

Wanderers coach Patrice Gheisar recently said of his clubs lack of scoring up front "“If I look at the staple of the league, Forge ended up getting 21 goals from their three centre forwards,” Gheisar said. “And we were nowhere close to that.”

Edited by Soccerpro2

2 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I really like the draft picks made last week and the off season signings have been decent.

Agreed, I was starting to feel a some optimism, a rare commodity for a Valour fan.

Now I am hearing Gutiérrez and de Brienne will not be returning for 2024.  Remove their two best players and my sense of optimism is already fading.  It will be a difficult enough task to rebuild their lineup if Valour FC were able to retain the players they wish to keep, without it becomes close to impossible.

Rendón is gone, no lose there.  I now hear Gutiérrez, de Brienne and Ponce are likely gone.  Baquero seemed to lose his starting spot in mid-Sept and now with Alarcón's signing it would seem is likely no longer in PDS's plans.  Ohin and AJB could be gone due to recurring injures.  That means there is a real possibility that Valour could have no outfield player in their 2024 lineup that were on 2022 roster!  Complete replacement of all players in a 2 year cycle is no way to build a team nor a brand.

Other CanPL teams have players with over 100 games for the club, Valour could start next year with Yesli at 37 being the highest still with the club.

20 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'll share mine. A bit underwhelming, like Sukunda.

I'm happier with the draft picks, Hundal and Alarcon.

Absolutely nothing else matters if a proven goal scorer isn't signed.

Edited by Soccerpro2

12 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I agree with this, but if the proven goal scorer comes from outside CPL, as is likely, what kind of resume would be required to qualify as "proven"?

1 hour ago, jonovision said:
53 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Not left footed, not U21.  Underwhelming sums it up fairly well.  Mediocre track record across USL (TFCII), CanPL (York United), Finnish 2nd Div (MuSa) and NextPro (TFCII (again)).  On the bright side, TFC must have seen something for him to be called up and play 1 game.  Perhaps he will impress on his 2nd CanPL opportunity.

Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2016–2018 Toronto FC III 32 (7)
2018–2020 Toronto FC II 32 (2)
2021 York United 12 (1)
2022 MuSa 20 (6)
2023 Toronto FC II 23 (4)
2023  Toronto FC (loan) 1 (0)
2024– Valour FC 0 (0)
International career
2015 Canada U15    
2017 Canada U17 3 (0)

The signing of another MF is more evidence that Gutierrez will not be returning :(

Judging by his highlight tape he is fairly 2 footed.

retained: Samake

gone: Guti, de Brienne, Baquero, AJB, Cela, Ponce, Pianelli (but they just retained his USports rights??) - - - - HUGE CHANGES!

still in discussions: Ohin

not mentioned: Niyongabire

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/its-always-about-the-sum-of-the-parts-for-us-and-not-about-individuals

Edited by K Edgar

12 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

retained: Samake

gone: Guti, de Brienne, Baquero, AJB, Cela, Ponce, Pianelli (but they just retained his USports rights??) - - - - HUGE CHANGES!

still in discussions: Ohin

not mentioned: Niyongabire

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/its-always-about-the-sum-of-the-parts-for-us-and-not-about-individuals

Of the departees:

AJB, Cela, Pianelli, and to a lesser extent Baquero and Ponce: No real losses, at least based on quality of contributions in the 2nd half of 2023.

Guti, de Brienne: if either of these two end up on another CPL roster I'll be hugely disappointed. 

Edited by jonovision

20 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Of the departees:

AJB, Cela, Pianelli, and to a lesser extent Baquero and Ponce: No real losses, at least based on quality of contributions in the 2nd half of 2023.

Guti, de Brienne: if either of these two end up on another CPL roster I'll be hugely disappointed. 

I'd be surprised if de Brienne ends up the CPL. I could see him trying the MLSNEXT PRO route to move up to MLS like Farsi did. I do think Guti will be in the CPL next year

Not surprised that either of them won't be back. You can't blame them (especially Guti). They've committed to the club and given their all but their level of commitment was not matched by the club during their time here.

I'm happy the other players won't be back, especially AJB as he was broken beyond repair and likely had a large salary.

Really interesting off season.

22 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Of the departees:

https://northerntribune.ca/big-shoes-to-fill-gutierrez-and-de-brienne-leave-valour-fc/

Gutierrez: "We believe he’s set for reigning CPL champions Cavalry FC" - if that is the case the Cavarly line-up (Guti, Akio, Musse, Aird) will look more familiar to a Valour fan than the 2024 Valour lineup :(

de Brienne: "it wouldn’t be surprise to see him return to his former side Atletico Ottawa."

7 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

https://northerntribune.ca/big-shoes-to-fill-gutierrez-and-de-brienne-leave-valour-fc/

Gutierrez: "We believe he’s set for reigning CPL champions Cavalry FC" - if that is the case the Cavarly line-up (Guti, Akio, Musse, Aird) will look more familiar to a Valour fan than the 2024 Valour lineup :(

de Brienne: "it wouldn’t be surprise to see him return to his former side Atletico Ottawa."

Lots of former Valour players out there thriving at other clubs. Valour are similar to TFC in MLS in that regard. Players move on and find success at other clubs after wasting away at Valour.

It's crazy to think that Valour had Bustos, Musse and young Attardo on their season #1 team and were somehow terrible.

Ownership owns a lot of what happened, but Rob Gale owns a lot of what happened for this club tanking immediately and having good players leave. If they had some level of success, players may have wanted to play here. Instead he made Skylar Thomas and Jordan Murrell the backbone of the team and as a result we've always been the ugly girl at the dance.

Edited by Soccerpro2

24 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Lots of former Valour players out there thriving at other clubs. Valour are similar to TFC in MLS in that regard. Players move on and find success at other clubs after wasting away at Valour.

It's crazy to think that Valour had Bustos, Musse and young Attardo on their season #1 team and were somehow terrible...

Not so difficult to believe when you bear in mind that they had a clearly unhinged head coach, a Belgian goalie who couldn't leave his line to claim even the most routine crosses, the permanently raging English journeyman  centre back with more clubs than Jack Nicklaus for reasons that became all too obvious, a Highland League level player from Scotland, a striker from New Zealand who looked like he would struggle to get a game in Winnipeg's top local amateur league, and you check out what happened next with young Attardo's pro career.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

43 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

I'm not going to do the math, but I'm guessing if Gutierrez moves to Cavalry that there will be more total games in a Valour jersey in their squad than in the local team.

26 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not so difficult to believe when you bear in mind that they had a clearly unhinged head coach, a Belgian goalie who couldn't leave his line to claim even the most routine crosses, the permanently raging English journeyman  centre back with more clubs than Jack Nicklaus for reasons that became all too obvious, a Highland League level player from Scotland, a striker from New Zealand who looked like he would struggle to get a game in Winnipeg's top local amateur league, and you check out what happened next with young Attardo's pro career.

And that Belgian goalie won the job only because the local-boy starter (Farago) was consistently worse.

I'll give credit where credit is due: Valour have had decent to good goalkeeping ever since.

Edited by jonovision