Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

4 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

People hate him for a load of reasons outside of being from Honduras. It just so happens that his home country fits the bill for the former. 😁

Right?

A dislike for the man doesn't have to be anything so grandious as racism or mundane as professional rivalry.  No, no, no.

I'd suggest this person was earned general dislike through his individual actions.  If he feels otherwise he's really not giving himself enough credit.

That said, I'd also suggest the man may be prepared to accept the above statement as fact and that wouldn't bother him in the least.  Which may make him exactly what Valour needs at this time. 

I personally don't think so but I could understand someone making the argument.  

Edited by Cheeta

7 hours ago, shermanator said:

I know people here will hate him because he's Honduran but Escalante would instantly become Valour's best player. 

You think so?  Looks like Valour is set to ship off their best players, sort of a Winnipeg tradition, but I don't know.  If the arc of his career leads him to the last place team in this league I find myself sceptical. 

8 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Right?

A dislike for the man doesn't have to be anything so grandious as racism or mundane as professional rivalry.  No, no, no.

I'd suggest this person was earned general dislike through his individual actions.  If he feels otherwise he's really not giving himself enough credit.

That said, I'd also suggest the man may be prepared to accept the above statement as fact and that wouldn't bother him in the least.  Which may make him exactly what Valour needs at this time. 

I personally don't think so but I could understand someone making the argument.  

I think Valour should lean into this sort of thing. A team of absolute dirtbags. Could be fun. Certainly more fun than what I'm imagining for 2024 (a team built around Marcelo Polisi doing nothing but jogging around the midfield making the world's least threatening passes).

8 hours ago, Cheeta said:

You think so?  Looks like Valour is set to ship off their best players, sort of a Winnipeg tradition, but I don't know.  If the arc of his career leads him to the last place team in this league I find myself sceptical. 

Who's better in current roster? Kian Williams, maybe?

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Absolutely. That's more an indictment of Valour's situation than anything. 

Let's look at Valour's situation. The owners refuse to invest in the team. Attendance is stagnant at best and is going to get worse this year as even the diehard supporters are tuning out. The few players with any quality are leaving for CPL clubs that can compete, yet again. Dos Santos has to rely on scraps from other teams or attempting to find a diamond in the rough to build their roster as no one in their right mind has Valour as their top club.

You have the ability to bring in a player who was a regular starter on a CPL club consistently at or near the top of the standings. Someone beloved by supporters (despite his antics on the pitch) and who connected with the youth soccer community. Someone who people were unhappy to see loaned out when his family was left back in Honduras this year and he asked to go back to be with them. Someone who's family loves it in Canada and wants to play here until retirement.

Is there anyone in Valour's history that comes even close to this level of proven pedigree in the league? 

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Who's better in current roster? Kian Williams, maybe?

Don't know.  Ask me again after match day 8.

Still lots of things are going to have to happen in the coming month in Valourland so we don't know how the squad is going to really flesh out.  And there's no guarantee Escalate will be here for 2024.  Just a rumour.

Losing two of your best players despite increased offers is discouraging though.  You can't put enough lipstick on that pig.  It's u-g-l-y.  Ugly.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Absolutely. That's more an indictment of Valour's situation than anything. 

Let's look at Valour's situation. The owners refuse to invest in the team. Attendance is stagnant at best and is going to get worse this year as even the diehard supporters are tuning out. 

The good thing about having few diehards in the first place is that losing them doesn't hurt that much. Valour could easy have success in the stands with a bit of actual marketing and a playoff season.

Valour has stated they intend to fill their roster with player who have CanPL experience.  Looking at a few who are available:

MF - Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare: "requested a mutual termination of his contract (w/ York)" which would indicate he already has another offer.  Could this be PDS's replacement for Gutierrez?

LB - HFX has release Jake Ruby and Ryan James.  I am not familiar with these two, but they must be better than Haynes?

CB - Jonathan Grant?  May be just as injury prone as AJB?

FW - Appears Valour is signing Escalante but there are more spots to fill up front.  Stefan Karajovanovic, after a year with both TFC II and in NZ, deserves another shot at the CanPL?  Kris Twardek has said he is returning to Canada (no CanPL experience) and has a connection with Fordyce but his track record does not scream goal scorer.

On 12/20/2023 at 1:37 PM, jonovision said:

I'm not going to do the math, but I'm guessing if Gutierrez moves to Cavalry that there will be more total games in a Valour jersey in their squad than in the local team.

Games by retained Valour players: 170
Valour games by Guti Akio Musse Aird: 147
Games by released Valour players: 440 !!!
(not counted Ohin, Niyongabire (option undecided) and Pianelli (USports rights retained) as their status is undetermined)

In their 5 seasons Valour FC has had 71 different outfield players take the field and 7 GKs.
That must be by far the most in the league.
Wondering how that compares to other CanPL teams?

7 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Games by retained Valour players: 170
Valour games by Guti Akio Musse Aird: 147
Games by released Valour players: 440 !!!
(not counted Ohin, Niyongabire (option undecided) and Pianelli (USports rights retained) as their status is undetermined)

In their 5 seasons Valour FC has had 71 different outfield players take the field and 7 GKs.
That must be by far the most in the league.
Wondering how that compares to other CanPL teams?

Pacific FC: 62 players (6 GKs)

Vancouver FC: 29 players (2 GKs)

FC Edmonton: 66 players (5 GKs)

Cavalry FC: 69 players (4 GKs)

Valour FC: 78 players (7 GKs)

Forge FC: 58 players (3 GKs)

York United: 83 players (8 GKs)

Atletico Ottawa: 64 players (4 GKs)

HFX Wanderers: 77 players (6 GKs)